Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Those tweets from O'Gorman only started to be highlighted by the usual suspects about two years after they were originally posted (which was in early 2021). At the time they were posted, Ireland was still under Covid restrictions and travel in and out of the country was extremely restricted. This does seem like a total red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭celt262

Be a good idea to not allow them purchase alcohol aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don’t understand how posters here claim that AS are here because they googled countries with the highest GDP but scoff at the idea at tweets from a blue tick government official on a public platform designed to have reach could be influential

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think they probably never saw the tweets myself but obviously the traffickers, relevant NGOs etc got them and similar to the American/ Yukon gold rushes, news travelled fast(and that was before there was instant messaging) and here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

this was done in New York - the card had a hefty enough balance on it.

So wait, it’s not the fault of the person who posted the ill advised tweets, it’s the fault of the ‘usual suspects’ for highlighting them? That makes no sense. They were posted on Twitter for a reason. He wanted a wide audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Should have been a thing for the get go….you cannot be an asylum seeker 'fleeing persecution' and get to shop around for the best deal you can get

Shows it up for what it is, 99% are economic migrants and it appears to be common knowledge among the policy makers who let it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

If they still come, stop offering bed, bread and soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭engineerws

Seems to be serious issues where even those granted asylum appear to be given the boot into homelessness.

Additionally, four staff members had not had their garda vetting checks updated and management had not completed international police checks for two staff members. 

Similarly, no staff member who lived abroad for six months or more at the Temple Accommodation Centre in Co Westmeath had an international police check carried out on them by management. 

Staff need vetting and international police checks but residents with no passport or checks are allowed in. Make it make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Could be a good time for a refresher on one of the best articles written on this utter shambles in a long time. There isn't a so-called journalist in the Irish msm that would be allowed to write anything close to that - Expect John Mooney's articles to be banned by FG and a bill rushed through the Dail under new 'Hurty FG articles' legislation

"No one knows what Roderic O’Gorman, the integration minister, was thinking when he began tweeting about his plans to reform the immigration system in early 2021 but staff [the usual suspects] at the International Protection Office (IPO) were aghast."

https://archive.is/EfdEL

All signed off at cabinet level just to retain power for a few more years - irrespective of the damage to, and the financial cost to the country that this would invariably bring - It's the closest thing to treason I've ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭Jeff2

There was an interesting show on RTE junior tonight about this. I believe it was made by Vergin Media 4.

It showed Paul Murphy using Dail privilege to name 5 or 6 people who posted online about immigration. It only made them more popular.

I can't find on a stream player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/08/30/record-number-of-asylum-seekers-awaiting-accommodation/

It’s just beyond ridiculous that we’re still carrying on as if we can take limitless number of people, will we ever get real? Something’s gotta give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

mea culpa

Post edited by dublin49 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Wheres your (checkbook), i mean humanity man, 😭 have you got no more funds I mean "care" to give. The fun really begins when the money tree dies. Just remember WHO was in favor of all this. Retired at taxpayers expense or new job prolly related to such.

Maybe at that stage the hate speech law will have censored it all. Cause thats the law. This forum will be banned by then 🤣

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

A gathering is planned for September 17 at the Spire, aiming to bring together 100,000 people to push for the government's dissolution. Can that many people really make a difference and bring about the government's dissolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The people leading this will move on to their beloved EU jobs and not bothered about their own Irish people. I guarantee you that.

They are setup for life.

Problem is there is no other party to vote for that will stop importing illegal people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Problem is there is no other party to vote for that will stop importing illegal people.

100% this and all the the far right cat calling is to hide or subdue the growing evidence they have lost the dressing room but are doubling down on their out dated woke agenda rather than legislate to reflect the current majority view among the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

"under the program, a four-person family with children under five can receive up to $350 per week, or about $18,200 a year, according to published news reports" they're still getting free accommodation on top of that.

https://council.nyc.gov/joseph-borelli/2024/07/03/nyc-to-spend-millions-on-new-round-of-pre-paid-debit-cards-for-migrants/

Almost certain to be a major scandal in the years to come.

The tweets were clearly aimed at people already living in Direct Provision in Ireland. The idea that asylum seekers started coming to Ireland in 2023 from countries thousands of miles away on the back of some tweets from a little known cabinet minister two years earlier is clearly nonsense.

How come the anti-immigration / tricolour crowd didn't even notice these tweets in February 2021? The fact that they were busy rioting in summer 2021 in Dublin and attacking the Gardai may have been a factor - they hadn't even moved on from their Covid and lockdown conspiracies at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

African lads beat on Irish lads then the inevitable retaliation...our own ethnically protected people have been doing the same for decades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The government will be dissolved in November anyway, and subsequently reelected.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jeff2 threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

What's happening in Germany is very interesting. They are finally taken measures to deal with issues over immigration. The reason for this is obvious. Germany is a year from a general election and their political establishment are scared sh1tless of AfD.

In Ireland the situation couldn't be more different. A permanent FF/FG government means the immigration will go on and on.

They have ramped up deportations in the last few years, it's not uncommon for them to carry out raids on fluctlings heims as they call them and take away individuals for deportation, an action which wouldn't fly here.. It all helps in funneling them towards the UK and here with scandanavian countries also tightening up while our government continues to be shamefully reactive instead of proactive Allways behind the curve to the absolute detriment of the citizens

I did but wouldn't agree with its conclusion that the big jump in asylum claims from early 2022 onwards was because of O'Gorman's tweets. The key factor here was surely the lifting of Covid restrictions and international air travel opening up again. That Times article offers no evidence of any description of a direct link between the tweets and the increased arrivals a year or two year later - they just throw out the proposition that the tweets were posted and asylum claims rose 12-18 months later (when the two mightn't even be linked, we have no way of knowing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The AFD may have won in that region but it'll be different in "west" Germany although I still expect them to grow. By the time next year's national election rolls around they could grow further.

Obviously the government has begun deportations because they don't want to hemorrhage support to the right. In the sense of illegal immigration and refugees the AFD will be good for Europe but in other aspects I can't discuss in this thread they'll be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You still haven't named the countries that you claimed are deporting parents for the sins of their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

- they [The Times] just throw out the proposition that the tweets were posted and asylum claims rose 12-18 months later 

Of all papers, I really don't think The Times are prone to 'throwing out propositions' - You don't think that The Times would do the due diligence required and have trusted sources that have consistently been proved accurate and reliable over the years before publishing an article?

They're not a mickey mouse university student publication Straz, like you're implying

'No one knows what Roderic O’Gorman, the integration minister, was thinking when he began tweeting about his plans to reform the immigration system in early 2021 but staff at the International Protection Office (IPO) were aghast.'

Why were the staff aghast?

'They [the IPO staff] were concerned about O’Gorman’s decision to translate his plans into multiple languages including the Georgian language, offering to provide asylum seekers with their “own-door” accommodation and “wrap-around supports, healthcare and education” on social media without having the infrastructure or finance to support it.'

Why were the staff at the IPO concerned Straz? - Or are you saying that The Times are lying and if that is the case, have you contacted them about this and what did they say?

'A year after the O’Gorman tweets and McEntee’s amnesty announcement, the numbers jumped to 13,651 in 2022.'

Cause and effect I'd call it -

I have to hand it to ya though - If mental gymnastics were an Olympic sport, you'd be in an open-topped bus going down O'Connell Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

So, I'm the one claiming superiority on a thread where people do nothing but talk about how others are traitorous, treacherous, woke Leftie liberals who hate Ireland? Or about how the government is so stupid and there are easy solutions that we just refuse to implement?

I mean, you said it in your own post — you lauded the German proposal and then went on to complain about how lefties make it out to be all so difficult and impossible. That is the arrogance that is inherent on this thread day in day out — the people who disagree with you are just Lefties who obfuscate the easy paths. And you say I'm acting superior, when you summarily dismiss the views of others?

The point of my response to you — which you seem mystified by — was to point out to you that these little measures here and there should not be applauded at every turn because they fail to actually address the fundamental issue at hand. In fact — you haven't even disputed any of the argument I put forward as to why the logic, or at least the effectiveness, of the German proposals doesn't really seem to get us anywhere.

So yes, let's all stop being Lefties who make everything out to be impossible and let's copy the Germans. Let's clamp down on asylum seekers by......offering them food and shelter. That's really tough and that will absolutely deter people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Yvonne007

The "tricolour crowd"??

Have we really gotten to the stage where you view people displaying a tricolour as a negative thing?

Ah yes, "virtue signalling" — another term spouted out to dismiss the sincerity or rationale of the views of others. And yet I'm the one acting superior apparently.

Anyway, I find your logic odd here in that you seem to take the view that those who make the migration journey using money for flights etc must invariably be doing alright for themselves if they can afford it. Are we to presume that you just wholesale dismiss the possibility that people save for these flights over periods of time or simply gather the money from somewhere, like wider family, on the basis that getting to Europe etc may well be the primary ambition of their life? For many of them, this will be the one thing they dedicate all their efforts and every penny they own to. You seem to view it almost like its just disposable income they are spending on getting to Europe, when it could well be the case that its their life savings.

Secondly, you also seem to just dismiss the fact that we already know what the major channels of illegal migration into Europe by land and sea are. We know that the migrants using these channels are willing to take enormous risks to follow these paths and clearly do not have the means to take less risky paths.

But in either case, what you don't seem to address is that — whether they have more money or less money, whether you put them in the Shelbourne or the place in Dundrum they apparently aren't happy about, neither situation presents a scenario where there is really anything to lose. You shoot your shot getting to Europe and worst case scenario, after roughing it for however long, you'll at least get fed, watered and sheltered and you'll be somewhere relatively secure. It's not really as tough as it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It should go without saying, but any person seeking IP (or recently granted status) who took part in that wanton display of violence should face instant deportation. It shouldn't even be questioned. This government have the power to remove unsuitable people like this, but they choose not to use it.

• Advertisement

Exactly. And at that point, when you actively commence a policy of depriving asylum seekers of any food and shelter, then we will see if the common sense, hard logic Right really is all that different from the emotional, sentimental, woke Lefties — when it comes to sustaining a policy like that over many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Amnesty International are unhappy, then this is a good thing.

The flag doesn't belong to the Covid conspiracists / anti-immigration crowd. If they are weaponizing the tricolour and claiming to be more Irish than the rest of us, that is not a good thing.

Yeah, people will complain about how "you can't even fly a tricolour anymore" without ever questioning whether they are cheapening and contradicting the whole point of the flag by turning it into a symbol of division rather than unity.

It's a well-trodden path though — claim the flag as your own so that you can pitch yourselves as being the true Irish who are proud to wave their flag and those on the other side must invariably be anti-Irish or ashamed of their flag.

In reality, for me anyway, I'm just not interested in denigrating and cheapening the flag by using it as an attempt to dismiss the Irishness of those who disagree with me. A country is made up of many people with a plurality of views (obviously, that's where the initial colour scheme of our own flag actually came from) — claiming its flag as your own to represent your own view turns it into a symbol of tribal division and not the symbol of co-operation, tolerance, respect and give-and-take which the whole concept of democratic nation states rests on.

Weaponising the Tricolour?

Jesus, get a grip.

Americans flying the flag are classed as Trump supporters, British people flying the Union Flag are all Tommy Robinson supporters and now people flying the tricolour are Covid Conspiacists / Anti-Immigration? It's almost as if people want to portray people who are proud of their country as terrible people and stop them from voicing their opinion so they won't be lumped into a stupid category that doesn't represtent their beliefs.

But people flying a Ukranian or Palestian flag are ok I take it?

It's ILLEGAL immigration and bogus asylum seekers that the vast majority of people have an issue with. But to say that is enough for silly people to class you as some weird racist/conspiracy theorist.

Post edited by Yvonne007 on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

This thread is about Ireland's Refugee policy, not events involving immigrants in Sweden

RoyalCelt threadbanned

Once again, people get very excited on this thread about responding to points that were never made. Strazdas never said that people who fly the tricolour are Covid conspiracists or anti immigration — they said the flag doesn't belong to them, based on the very demonstrable fact that tricolours tend(ed) to be pretty numerous at those types of protests etc.

I'm presuming though you'll somehow interpret this post as me calling you a racist or something.

I'm not excited.

He mentioned the Tricolour crowd and the weaponisation of the tricolour. Which are ridiculous statements.

And your presumption of what my interpretation of your post is exactly what his opinion of the weaponisation of the tricolour is:

Silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be some sort of secure detainment facility as large as it needs to be near the airport. If someone is a guest in this country and breaks the law in this manner like breaking in to property, assault etc they should be taken there to wait while deportation is organised for as long as it takes.

We shouldn't accept criminality like this regardless of the circumstances.

It's like we have pretty much no red lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think that's the point though. Probably no one coming here saw the tweets.

The problem for me as an Irish citizen is that it's his job to uphold the integrity of the system and give the Irish people confidence the system is robust and works.

The real issue in my view is that he undermined confidence in himself and the system with those tweets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement