Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Water for Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Your first sentence above is so inaccurate. It really shows you have not looked at figures provided earlier in the thread. That could never happen due to the relatively meagre quantities needed. The ESB can drop the level in Lough Derg by 1.5m next week if they feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭gossamerfabric

The Shannon is not an inexhaustable supply. Tally that with this:

https://www.facebook.com/OldRiverShannon/photos/there-has-been-no-generation-at-ardnacrusha-hydroelectric-station-now-in-over-a-/1910054902349511/?_rdr

I never said it was inexhaustable. There is a published quantity wanted and legal requirements re flow quantity downstream of Parteen and you consistently ignore the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No. Completely wrong. Some urban dwellers may be marginally wealthier but the majority are careful with their money and don't have the whole keeping up with the Jones's crack some rural people are obsessed with regarding house size and car year. Look where the cobblers are… towns and cities. Think of the four R's Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recover… like city people do. Even your postman will have a fully insured and taxed van with wear and tear, tyres, servicing, eventual end of life and replacement to deliver to a few houses where as my postman has a bike and delivers to hundreds. You cost the country a fortune and you're not good for your local or wider environment.

This has been explained a few times so read it carefully and try and retain the info. Less that 2% of water will be extracted during the flood seasons, piped, held and released in the summer to alleviate low water ares like Meath, Kildare, Wicklow, North Tipperary, Offaly, North Westmeath, Tullamore, Clonaslee, Edenderry, Rhode, Daingean, Walsh Island, Geashill and Dunkerrin/Moneygall as well as The Capital.

Don't forget, there's life outside the pale and they need water too. Dublin is not the centre of the earth.

You should fly less. You're car dependent situation propably means not using public transport to get to airports too… not good. Think staycation (Ireland is stunning) or ferry, use zoom and other forms of medium for meetings.

Have there not been occassions when the river has not had enough volume to drive the hydro plant? yes or no?

I see the Shannon at various times during the year. It is clear that it isn't consistent. In winter the graves towards the wall at Clonmacnoise will be inundated while at other times the River is far away in the distance.

Dublin will be pulling the water from the river at times when the river is at its lowest and the loughs will run low.

I will trust what I have seen with my own eyes over a lifetime, not "Trust me Bro" assurances on the internet.

Dublin needs to stop looking with greedy eyes at other peoples' water.

Where I am the local river is not navigable often during the summer due to low water levels even though it is fed by reliable glaciers. All transport and tourism water travel stops until the rains return. Ireland is trying to develop Waterways tourism to the benefit of the regions beyond Dublin and this endangers that positive initiative. Waterways tourism attracts wealthy northern Europeans which is exactly the sort of Tourist Ireland wants(apart from Eamon Ryan and Co.).

Read this report from Waterways Ireland with a picture of a bloke walking across the Shannon.

https://www.catchments.ie/measuring-the-impact-of-the-2018-summer-drought-on-river-flows-and-lake-levels/

• Advertisement

"Dublin will be pulling the water from the river at times when the river is at its lowest and the loughs will run low"

Who told you that? You're wrong again. I'll repeat myself and read it properly this time. I'll bold the parts you're having difficulty with.

Less that 2% of water will be extracted during the flood seasons, piped, held and released in the summer to alleviate low water ares like Meath, Kildare, Wicklow, North Tipperary, Offaly, North Westmeath, Tullamore, Clonaslee, Edenderry, Rhode, Daingean, Walsh Island, Geashill and Dunkerrin/Moneygall as well as The Capital.

Have you figured out yet where the Trojan horse in the plan is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the people on the banks of the Shannon go thirsty or crops fail or lose tourism business then it is not acceptable.

Not going to happen ever as a result of this project, and you clearly have not read the thread and/or are on a complete wind-up.

The proposal is to extract a small proportion of the flow IN WINTER.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Anyone remember the plot of Chinatown? one hundred years ago this was coming to a head.

If you a building a dystopian dream with a bit of the flavour of Singapore and Naples rolled in to one then of course the indigenous people are going to pay a heavy price.

Post edited by gossamerfabric on

• Advertisement

When the fish kills and algae blooms start happening blame the farmers most especially blaming them importing banned insecticide and excessive fertiliser in runoff from the fields which is what is being blamed on the Continent at the moment. You'll get two decades between you and the great swindle from that alone with an ever-eager Green Party of Ireland as useful idiots to disseminate the message.

With less water in the river the temperatures will rise.

Invasive species can live with the higher temperatures in the water displacing native species and some of the Algae blooms cause bronchial problems(on local news today here).

There goes the fishing tourism market.

OK you're full blown mental. Best to ignore.

Will you be around in 2046 for a population of 6.7 million?

That vague promise to extract only 2% of Shannon water will be quickly forgotten.

https://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/population/2013/poplabfor2016_2046.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is but a taster of the lunacy that is yet to come if this plan gets the green light.

Every halfwit from Limerick to Carrick-on-Shannon will be out looking for compensation, and every local councillor and "community activist" will be out trying to stoke it up.

The bill to placate these scroungers will dwarf the cost of the actual pipeline.

Ah, when all else fails let's blame the victims. Typical Irish approach to injustice. completely predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

The victims are those who will also have insults like halfwit thrown at them from posters like John Rambo. If you dehumanize them then it is easier to perpetrate injustices against them. People who once were resource wealthy but find themselves deprived of the water to which they have every right to expect to have access.

When was this right to Shannon water established?

• Advertisement

When the Regime fears its citizens.

When was the right to water established? It is a human right. The people of the midlands are being dispossessed.

Water is a human right.

The Shannon water specifically is not a human right for a specific cohort of people.

You expect them to collect it in bowls and cups from the sky while the water that used to flow by is now piped elsewhere?

The Rural Irish will take time to realise that while they used to have a surfeit of water, that water is now diverted to those who have the power to exert influence over the Regime.

I didn't insult you or call you names, I schooled you and backed it up with hard facts & evidence. You had no comebacks and couldn't back up your superior smugness, barstool stories & assumptions about "de evil lazy city folk". I appreciate it's a hard lesson and reality is dawning on you that your life is subsidised by the state.

You took offence & stayed up all night half pissed spouting half cocked conspiracy theories to yourself while the city folk went to bed early to get up early 😉

it is happening elsewhere in the world but not yet in Ireland so to your mind it must be a conspiracy theory.

10 billion will probably be paid, in part, by the citizens of the Midlands to deprive them of their own resource.

You schooled me in nothing. You obviously haven't thought through the consequences of this wheeze because you care not a jot about the people of the Midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The fishing tourism market is already dying on its arse due to the amount of pollution farmers are pumping into rivers all over the country.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

The consequence for Midland areas like North Tipperary, Offaly, North Westmeath, Tullamore, Clonaslee, Edenderry, Rhode, Daingean, Meath, Walsh Island, Geashill and Dunkerrin/Moneygall will be a much needed improved water supply.

Advertisement