Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LycaMobile, €10 a month, unlimited data, 5G included

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jrmb

Thanks. Actually (and oddly) I just had to select the operator manually and I'm back online, with texts from 1-2 days ago only coming through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭1373

When I returned from holidays in Dec, I couldn't phone anyone until I turned my phone off and on again. This was with three but might help you also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Will one of these work in a router as a home broadband alternative or is it not allowed by Lycamobile ?

Post edited by SPAWKER on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

It does but they have an acceptable data use limit of 60 Gb....I found out the hard way! Complained to the advetising authority but no use, they sided them. After 60 Gb speed dropped to .06mb/s having been up to 350mb/s initally in the 5G router. They throttle over 60 Gb. I'm now with the hero plan from three which is truely unlimited data for €15 a month. That offer was avilable for limited time though.

This fair use shoudln't be a thing...isntead of saying "unlimited" say what the limit is!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭farhankn

Can we port from 3 esim to Lyca esim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yes. So long as lyca porting system is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Have Eir Billpay at the moment; is it handy enough to switch to Lyca eSIM?

Once you can complete the porting form and their porting system works then it should be painless and you just scan the qr code they send you to activate the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭farhankn

Their website is super confusing. Does that mean

1. Get a new Lyca Sim (Physical Sim) I might have to use another phone as my phone is esim only
    2. activate the sim
    3. Then do the Port and scan the QR?

TIA

No, go to their site and order an esim and they will send you the qr code to activate it. After that then you can choose to bring your number in to replace the Lyca one you just bought.

i agree about the site. Multiple ways of doing things and not very clear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Has anyone availed of the €10 Go Unlimited plan recently? I signed up yesterday and ported in my number and was advised there is an offer of €8 a month for 12 months for the Go Unlimited plan for new port-in customers.

There's very little information on their website about it but it seems to be a very good offer. Has anyone here opted into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ECookie13

There is info here on it. The throttling down to 256kps data speeds after 100gb of data is pretty extreme in 2024, but depends on your use case of course.

https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle/go-unlimited/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i remember seeing in T&C that you cant be on lyca before to get this 8euro porting offer.

you can get 10euro offer - that should not be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Can't find any €8 offer. How does one get the extra €2 off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

https://prepay.lycamobile.ie/en/ireland-port-in/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I can get the offer for sure, I've 30 days to activate it and have been told as much by the customer care team and have been getting text messages about it too. I'm only just after porting in though, it looks like you're right that it's only for new entrants to the network. You have to leave 30 clear days too if you're porting out of the network and then porting back in to avail of the offer.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the €10 I have paid so far for the first month of the Go Unlimited plan counts as the required 'top up' for activation or if I need to spend another €10 now. If it's the latter there wouldn't be much point going for it but it's a bit unclear. Almost too good to be true, what’s the catch?!

The throttling after 100GB doesn't bother me. Vodafone were charging me €20 a month for the pleasure of a 10GB 4G PAYG plan so this is much better. Much better than having your data knocked off entirely when you hit the measly data caps imposed by Vodafone. I used to be with Virgin Mobile but had to leave as they don't have eSIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭drury..

48 is doing true unlimited 5G

Unsure on pricing for new customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭S'

Where do you see that?

I thought it was 200GB on the €12.99 plan under the current FUP (Fair Usage Policy)

Not true. The only true unlimited plans are the Vodafone and Three plans.

Unless something has changed very recently, any proof of the unlimited data on 48?

Guys , 48 is going full unlimited 5G at eom

200GB fup is being scrapped

• Advertisement

Where do you see this? Is there any actual proof? They still have the 200gb data cap posts up on their help centre, with edits made a couple months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

48 help centre edits only couple months old.That's excellent.5G advertised for e10.99 and current e12.99 plans.Definitely,not e7.99 plan

I can't tell if this is a snarky sarcastic post, a bit bizarre if so.

A few of us here are asking for some link or proof from 48 of the truly new "unlimited" data plan, as that would be a nice change if so, not just "trust me bro, it's changed" responses.

Do you have any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Are there still roaming issues with 48 does anyone know?

Good work! Some actual proof, thats a nice change from them, hopefully others start to follow suit as there should be no sneaky data caps/throttling in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

This was a rule change in terms of advertising and the like - it was referenced on Pat Kenny's show last week. The networks had 6 months to comply. It basically means all broadband and mobile providers offering 'unlimited' must do just that.

Does the T&C's cover them if they have stated a fair usage cap is in place or do they still have to comply if they are advertising the package as unlimited?

You'd imagine Lyca will have to follow suit with the likes of their "Go Unlimited" plan, although I think they have scrubbed the word data from their offering entirely!

Unlimited with a fup was a contradiction from the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I don't want to derail the thred, so I'll leave the details here only.

25th April 2024 was the effective date, with 6 months for companies to update their advertising.
    Fair Usage Policies, such as reduced speeds, don't limit the availablity of the service, so not in breach.

https://adstandards.ie/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/guidance-limitless-unlimited.pdf

Advertisement