Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding cattle at grass

• 23-08-2024 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Currently feeding concentrates to cattle in the field. I have two of those double galvanised troughs that I move from field to field. I have them fenced off and bring the feed with me each morning. I lay out the nuts, let the stampeded in then when they are finished eating I hunt them out and fence off. It's not too bad now but becomes a real pain when ground conditions deteriorate. Also moving the troughs and fence is a pain. Interested to know how others manage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Double troughs on sand wheels. Move them about as needed - which is every 2 feeds at the minute. I'd like to have a laneway or area of hard standing to replicate what you have done, but doesn't work with the field layout at the minute.

It gets more problematic as the troughs move further from the gate. Sporting and eager animals can nudge into you or sport in front of you and throw out a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

A length of 12 inch corri pipe split up the middle. Left at strip wire. move as needed. Cattle one side me the other side

Ease to move by drilling a hole at each end and loop a bit of twine through to pull along

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Aly Daly

Excellent idea,the heavy duty troughs are hard on the back as you move them to save ground as i do & your way ensures safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I just get the big blue barrels and cut them in half

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭visatorro

Seen somewhere recently someone just bolting them together. Cannings farm I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement