Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

What's happening in Germany is very interesting. They are finally taken measures to deal with issues over immigration. The reason for this is obvious. Germany is a year from a general election and their political establishment are scared sh1tless of AfD.

In Ireland the situation couldn't be more different. A permanent FF/FG government means the immigration will go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They have ramped up deportations in the last few years, it's not uncommon for them to carry out raids on fluctlings heims as they call them and take away individuals for deportation, an action which wouldn't fly here.. It all helps in funneling them towards the UK and here with scandanavian countries also tightening up while our government continues to be shamefully reactive instead of proactive Allways behind the curve to the absolute detriment of the citizens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I did but wouldn't agree with its conclusion that the big jump in asylum claims from early 2022 onwards was because of O'Gorman's tweets. The key factor here was surely the lifting of Covid restrictions and international air travel opening up again. That Times article offers no evidence of any description of a direct link between the tweets and the increased arrivals a year or two year later - they just throw out the proposition that the tweets were posted and asylum claims rose 12-18 months later (when the two mightn't even be linked, we have no way of knowing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The AFD may have won in that region but it'll be different in "west" Germany although I still expect them to grow. By the time next year's national election rolls around they could grow further.

Obviously the government has begun deportations because they don't want to hemorrhage support to the right. In the sense of illegal immigration and refugees the AFD will be good for Europe but in other aspects I can't discuss in this thread they'll be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You still haven't named the countries that you claimed are deporting parents for the sins of their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

- they [The Times] just throw out the proposition that the tweets were posted and asylum claims rose 12-18 months later 

Of all papers, I really don't think The Times are prone to 'throwing out propositions' - You don't think that The Times would do the due diligence required and have trusted sources that have consistently been proved accurate and reliable over the years before publishing an article?

They're not a mickey mouse university student publication Straz, like you're implying

'No one knows what Roderic O’Gorman, the integration minister, was thinking when he began tweeting about his plans to reform the immigration system in early 2021 but staff at the International Protection Office (IPO) were aghast.'

Why were the staff aghast?

'They [the IPO staff] were concerned about O’Gorman’s decision to translate his plans into multiple languages including the Georgian language, offering to provide asylum seekers with their “own-door” accommodation and “wrap-around supports, healthcare and education” on social media without having the infrastructure or finance to support it.'

Why were the staff at the IPO concerned Straz? - Or are you saying that The Times are lying and if that is the case, have you contacted them about this and what did they say?

'A year after the O’Gorman tweets and McEntee’s amnesty announcement, the numbers jumped to 13,651 in 2022.'

Cause and effect I'd call it -

I have to hand it to ya though - If mental gymnastics were an Olympic sport, you'd be in an open-topped bus going down O'Connell Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

So, I'm the one claiming superiority on a thread where people do nothing but talk about how others are traitorous, treacherous, woke Leftie liberals who hate Ireland? Or about how the government is so stupid and there are easy solutions that we just refuse to implement?

I mean, you said it in your own post — you lauded the German proposal and then went on to complain about how lefties make it out to be all so difficult and impossible. That is the arrogance that is inherent on this thread day in day out — the people who disagree with you are just Lefties who obfuscate the easy paths. And you say I'm acting superior, when you summarily dismiss the views of others?

The point of my response to you — which you seem mystified by — was to point out to you that these little measures here and there should not be applauded at every turn because they fail to actually address the fundamental issue at hand. In fact — you haven't even disputed any of the argument I put forward as to why the logic, or at least the effectiveness, of the German proposals doesn't really seem to get us anywhere.

So yes, let's all stop being Lefties who make everything out to be impossible and let's copy the Germans. Let's clamp down on asylum seekers by......offering them food and shelter. That's really tough and that will absolutely deter people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Yvonne007

The "tricolour crowd"??

Have we really gotten to the stage where you view people displaying a tricolour as a negative thing?

Ah yes, "virtue signalling" — another term spouted out to dismiss the sincerity or rationale of the views of others. And yet I'm the one acting superior apparently.

Anyway, I find your logic odd here in that you seem to take the view that those who make the migration journey using money for flights etc must invariably be doing alright for themselves if they can afford it. Are we to presume that you just wholesale dismiss the possibility that people save for these flights over periods of time or simply gather the money from somewhere, like wider family, on the basis that getting to Europe etc may well be the primary ambition of their life? For many of them, this will be the one thing they dedicate all their efforts and every penny they own to. You seem to view it almost like its just disposable income they are spending on getting to Europe, when it could well be the case that its their life savings.

Secondly, you also seem to just dismiss the fact that we already know what the major channels of illegal migration into Europe by land and sea are. We know that the migrants using these channels are willing to take enormous risks to follow these paths and clearly do not have the means to take less risky paths.

But in either case, what you don't seem to address is that — whether they have more money or less money, whether you put them in the Shelbourne or the place in Dundrum they apparently aren't happy about, neither situation presents a scenario where there is really anything to lose. You shoot your shot getting to Europe and worst case scenario, after roughing it for however long, you'll at least get fed, watered and sheltered and you'll be somewhere relatively secure. It's not really as tough as it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It should go without saying, but any person seeking IP (or recently granted status) who took part in that wanton display of violence should face instant deportation. It shouldn't even be questioned. This government have the power to remove unsuitable people like this, but they choose not to use it.

• Advertisement

Exactly. And at that point, when you actively commence a policy of depriving asylum seekers of any food and shelter, then we will see if the common sense, hard logic Right really is all that different from the emotional, sentimental, woke Lefties — when it comes to sustaining a policy like that over many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Amnesty International are unhappy, then this is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The flag doesn't belong to the Covid conspiracists / anti-immigration crowd. If they are weaponizing the tricolour and claiming to be more Irish than the rest of us, that is not a good thing.

Yeah, people will complain about how "you can't even fly a tricolour anymore" without ever questioning whether they are cheapening and contradicting the whole point of the flag by turning it into a symbol of division rather than unity.

It's a well-trodden path though — claim the flag as your own so that you can pitch yourselves as being the true Irish who are proud to wave their flag and those on the other side must invariably be anti-Irish or ashamed of their flag.

In reality, for me anyway, I'm just not interested in denigrating and cheapening the flag by using it as an attempt to dismiss the Irishness of those who disagree with me. A country is made up of many people with a plurality of views (obviously, that's where the initial colour scheme of our own flag actually came from) — claiming its flag as your own to represent your own view turns it into a symbol of tribal division and not the symbol of co-operation, tolerance, respect and give-and-take which the whole concept of democratic nation states rests on.

Weaponising the Tricolour?

Jesus, get a grip.

Americans flying the flag are classed as Trump supporters, British people flying the Union Flag are all Tommy Robinson supporters and now people flying the tricolour are Covid Conspiacists / Anti-Immigration? It's almost as if people want to portray people who are proud of their country as terrible people and stop them from voicing their opinion so they won't be lumped into a stupid category that doesn't represtent their beliefs.

But people flying a Ukranian or Palestian flag are ok I take it?

It's ILLEGAL immigration and bogus asylum seekers that the vast majority of people have an issue with. But to say that is enough for silly people to class you as some weird racist/conspiracy theorist.

Post edited by Yvonne007 on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,203 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

This thread is about Ireland's Refugee policy, not events involving immigrants in Sweden

RoyalCelt threadbanned

Once again, people get very excited on this thread about responding to points that were never made. Strazdas never said that people who fly the tricolour are Covid conspiracists or anti immigration — they said the flag doesn't belong to them, based on the very demonstrable fact that tricolours tend(ed) to be pretty numerous at those types of protests etc.

I'm presuming though you'll somehow interpret this post as me calling you a racist or something.

I'm not excited.

He mentioned the Tricolour crowd and the weaponisation of the tricolour. Which are ridiculous statements.

And your presumption of what my interpretation of your post is exactly what his opinion of the weaponisation of the tricolour is:

Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be some sort of secure detainment facility as large as it needs to be near the airport. If someone is a guest in this country and breaks the law in this manner like breaking in to property, assault etc they should be taken there to wait while deportation is organised for as long as it takes.

We shouldn't accept criminality like this regardless of the circumstances.

It's like we have pretty much no red lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think that's the point though. Probably no one coming here saw the tweets.

The problem for me as an Irish citizen is that it's his job to uphold the integrity of the system and give the Irish people confidence the system is robust and works.

The real issue in my view is that he undermined confidence in himself and the system with those tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

This is where we and, to an extent, the noisy neighbours are - being proud of your flag is seen as a bad thing, unless you've just won a medal of some kind. Yet marching down the streets with someone else's flag and threatening people is keenly encouraged.

I happen to be very proud to be Irish - not of the Government policies but why I should be looked down on for that is baffling. It is the ultimate in self hatred.

Yeah OK. I mean, it's a blatantly clear reality that you paraphrased his post inaccurately — and that one only needs to actually read what he said versus what you said to see that. But yeah, I guess you get to throw the word "silly" around and you will still get thanks for it on here....

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Marcos

I agree with this totally. The government actively choose not to deport people in this country.

Compare and contrast with France who in February expelled a radical imam who described the tricolour as satanic.

"French media published some of the expulsion order, which said the imam had promoted a "retrograde, intolerant, and violent image of Islam, likely to encourage behaviour contrary to the values of the Republic".

It said his teachings encouraged discrimination against women, "tensions with the Jewish community" and "jihadist radicalisation". According to the order, he had also referred to Jewish people as "the enemy".

He was expelled "less than 12 hours after his arrest", Mr Darmanin said in another post, adding that the new laws "makes France stronger".

Now this hard line is probably a reaction to the increased support for Marine Le Pen and her party.

But if he said the same things here, just watch the immigration NGOs who would be off down to the High Court to stop any deportation. God knows there's probably even people on here who would defend him due to the weaponisation of the tricolour!

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Where are you getting this from though? Who is telling you that being proud of the tricolour is a bad thing?

You say you're proud to be Irish but really the vast majority of Irish people are proud to be Irish — some may simply be less vocal and expressive about it. Some people find the use of the tricolour in certain circumstances to cheapen its meaning or to be a hijacking of it, particularly when it's used in the context of divisive issues. One is allowed to have that opinion without being subjected to some accusation that they think being proud of the flag is wrong.

But yet, that's still the interpretation you take, and it actually backs up what I'm saying here — what you are trying to do is create a mentality where one side is proud to be Irish and the other side is self-hating and detests pride in Irishness. Maybe you aren't even doing it deliberately, and it's part of how you justify your beliefs in your head — you are proud to be Irish and they aren't and therefore your beliefs are more trustworthy as regards Ireland's interests.

And I fear that you will read this and still just believe that you are being told flying the flag is bad.

And you are aware that Tunisia is one of the countries with whom the EU has concluded recent pacts to provide financial assistance, investment and labour access in exchange for co-operation on illegal migration which includes Tunisia's co-operation with the deportation of Tunisian migrants and also migrants who have travelled through Tunisia?

It's almost like possible solutions lie not so much in go-it-alone policies by countries within the EU and a tit-for-tat struggle to see who can be slightly less accommodating than their neighbouring countries — but rather in a concerted, unified, international approach by the EU nations working as one and accepting the give-and-take mentality that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭engineerws

To be explicit , I doubt the child slaves of the Congo, who are probably most deserving of assistance, have the money to travel to Ireland. That's not to say those genuinely seeking asylum are not worthy too but rather to point out there are likely considerable costs involved.

You seem to think because someone risks their life and spends their money they should be entitled to free accommodation and food in Ireland regardless of whether or not they are genuine asylum seekers or economic migrants using the asylum route.

Okay...😶‍🌫️

Again, as is more or less a daily occurrence at this stage, yet again someone leaps to comment on an opinion that I never expressed — and of course plenty gave it a like, presumably without even considering the fact that you are completely misrepresenting what I said.

You say that I seem to think that because someone risks their life and spends their money they should be entitled to free food and accommodation regardless of whether they are a genuine asylum seeker or not.

I never said this, nor did I even allude to it. I referred to it simply as a statement of fact that people are willing to take risks and spend money (perhaps almost every penny) to get to Europe — which demonstrates that they are probably also going to be willing to chance even the most basic provision of food and shelter in developed countries. That's on the basis that they have nothing to lose and the worst case scenario is that they will do a stint in a centre where they will be safe and fed before being either deported or released. If there's a chance, people will take their shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You're so close to becoming self aware. You're agreeing there's no deterrent for people who choose to come here illegally.

There's an infinite number of these people across the 3rd world. Now do the math and just make that small step that you think is a giant leap.

We need proper deterrents before we get overwhelmed(if we're not already).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Language very important here and of course The Journal give a loaded version of the 'truth'. It is more likely the vast majority of that 250 and thousands of others like them that they have been given 'leave to remain' rather than refugee status

i.e. they have exhausted the system with appeal after appeal and the State has taken the lazy, incompetent way out and handed them a piece of paper to stay

Advertisement