Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Their target audience only amounts to around 10-11% of the electorate, they are bottom-feeding going after those who are exercised about letting single male blacks into their estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mad to think these chancers were a shoe in to lead the government in the very recent past.

I was ready to hold my nose and vote for them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Is the Martin McAuley who is to be extradited to the North the same McAuley who was a member of the Colombia 3 and who received a standing ovation at a SF Ard Fheis? Is he still a member of the party I wonder?

Yes, it is. Another reminder of the horrific legacy of SF/IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

I was referring to the amount of their target audience lost on account of asylum seekers.

They're sweet talking those back,make no mistake about it

An increasing lack of cohesion in government , already underway,will do the rest in welcoming a large increase in SF T.D's to the next Dáil.

Buckle up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see we are back to talking about ceilings on SF support. 😁
    Those not wanting ‘single black males in their estates’ have gotten a reaction from the government and Harris and nothing from the Shinners, they know who to support.

Ah hang on,SF and their plans to put the sbm's in wealthy non shinner areas is designed to placate their own who have been hypnotised by the national party types and bring them back

To say otherwise is insulting peoples inteligence

I'd agree with Pureza in thinking SF will do rather better in the GE than they did in the locals and Europeans. They've some strong teams and structures in Dublin, border counties, urban Cork. Could be a second seat for them in some constituencies, especially with the increase in overall seats up to 174.

It's down the country where they will always struggle. They just don't have the structures down there. A GE is fought on the doorsteps, and not online. A lot of traditional FF voters might grit their teeth, but I can see them transferring to FG for a second and third preference in much larger numbers than even 10 years ago.

Mike and Mary Middle Class are far more politically astute than they are given credit for.

It’s designed to fairly distribute the load. Which is what they’ve been saying for yonks- a fair and rules based approach.
    FG FF and Greens are moving far more and gained support in the polls and you’d really be insulting intelligence to deny that.

I already proffered the theory that FG with FF on its coat tails are moving on because they are being more decisive than they were under the previous ditherer plus some honeymoon shine for Harris that will soon wear off.

If you think saying SF's new (post EU and coco think in) line will wash with me,of no SBM's in poor areas by saying it isn't a sop to council estate voters who left SF because them immigrants are taking our money and houses,then its so bloody transparent,my inteligence is being insulted by your assertion yes

It absolutely is an attempt to woo them back/stem the tide and its a clever move in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SF have allowed the UUP (another party suddenly doing a handbrake turn to the right) to ban puberty blockers in NI.

Doesn't tie in with their attempts to be seen as a liberal party in ROI. Always have to try hide how they act as a centre right party when in power

Some of the louder twitter people who would have been pro SF are very pissed off with them this morning, so it is being noticed amongst the younger left voters they were trying to set themselves up as the natural party for.

They never said what you claim:

no SBM's in poor areas by saying it isn't a sop to council estate voters who left SF because them immigrants are taking our money and houses

Here is what their policy says they would do:

The newly published policy focuses on moving away from a system of private profiteering, recommends auditing areas before choosing locations for accommodation centres, and engaging in meaningful consultation with communities.

Sinn Féin has long been vocal in its criticism of the government for not engaging in dialogue with communities where Ms McDonald said there are "well-grounded" frustrations and anger. Ms McDonald pointed out that the lack of transparency and consultation is something she has been raising since November 2022.

The Government's claim that consultation has taken place has fueled the sense of anger and led to a "very unacceptable situation" that needs to be remedied rapidly, she said.

Which is funnily enough much the same thing renegade FG and FF and Green councillors in the affected areas are saying too.

Its obvious what their policy means,its a vehicle to placate voters in more deprived areas not happy with refugee's

It will work

You can spin the language used whatever way you want

It's a re-iteration of what they have been saying for yonks as the article points out.

Sinn Féin has long been vocal in its criticism of the government for not engaging in dialogue with communities

Well you're entitled to give an opinion on the new or as you are telling me,not new just readvertised/repackaged policy

Its purpose to my eyes is the same and it will work,it should anyway

Reassurance is everything for those hijacked voters,they've nothing else in common with the far right people their protest vote went to

If there is a purpose it is to keep the government honest as is their opposition duty. The government vociferously claim to be doing consulting and auditing even though their own people on the ground contradict this, I expect scrutiny of these claims to resume once the Dáil resumes business.

Consultation and auditing are the dog-whistling. The same language has been used by the far-right as by Sinn Fein. They dress it up a little, but SF are playing to that audience. They all know (SF and the far-right) that any consultation and auditing process can be used to delay, to frustrate, to prevent, to block. That is what they have done already with house-building and public transport.

The government are therefore 'dogwhistling' first as they claim to be properly auditing and consulting.
    You can't have it everyway here.
    They are being held to account, and their own people are contradicting them.

The mess is of their making.

Ah here now

SF want to overthrow the government

Keep the government honest ? My laughing muscles will be going all day with that gem

The pro govt lads here might be good at it but you do give them a run for their money in terms of coming out with crap from time to time

'overthrow'

Oh dear.

SF want to win a democratic election and have duties as the opposition to keep the government of the day honest.

• Advertisement

There is consultation, but the existing consultation cannot be used to delay or block a project. As Leo, Micheal and Simon have consistently said over the last few years, no community can have a veto on refugees being settled there. For the first time, MLMD and SF support such a veto, through the dog-whistling of additional consultation and extra services.

No government can say they are consulting and then pre-empt the process.
    You are either consulting or you aren't.
    We know that in at least one case they are cherrypicking who they are consulting with and that in several others their OWN people on the ground have said zero consultation was had.

The agenda is clear from the agitators on the ground, complain about no consultation, inadequate consultation or keep the consultation going for ever. That makes sure no refugees can be housed in your estate/area/village/town. SF are dog-whistling to this racist cohort.

There is no consultation which makes liars of the government.

This is a fact whether you think consultation should or should not happen.

The government created the mess and are trying to deceive. We need only listen to what their own people are saying.

Their own people abd the opposition are doing the only thing they can-calling them to account.

Yeah but they do want to democratically overthrow this government right 😆

You can’t help revealing yiur spots. Just another poster who thinks FF/FG are entitled to be in power and any one who challenges is cast as overthrowers. Painful

Why don't you address his cogent arguments rather than a gratuitous personal attack?

I have already. He/she is doing what you are doing - steadfastly denying the government have been caught lying and are being called out on it by their own and by the opposition, who the facts show have been doing just that since the mess began.

The sham of consultation is falling down.

So 60 years after John Hume said as much in the Irish Times, SF have come round to his thinking? What next? An acknowledgment that all the murder, torture, bombings, rape and child abuse was in vain?

• Advertisement

Nothing new there Bobson if you know anything of your history. Gerry Adams was saying the same thing over 20 years ago, MLMD more recently.

Advertisement