Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Wailin wrote: »
    Lads if you want to play the original tomb raiders download them on steam and play on the pc. Much better experience than the console as the controls are more fluid and graphics upscaled. If you have a pc that is!

But they never worked right for years. You had to go and install glide or something was it? A lot of messing about anyway.

All this talk of controls makes me laugh. When I played the original TR's I did so on PC at the time. Which meant I had to use solely the keyboard! I used to have to play with my hands crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I picked up the first 3 games through GOG. Still have to play them though.
    But have played and finished the new trilogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I picked up the first 3 games through GOG. Still have to play them though.
    But have played and finished the new trilogy

You just reminded me. I own them also on GOG from a good few years ago and the controls were garbage so never bothered to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Actually, I think I own all the Tomb Raider games. And some day I'll start playing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Crap, I thought I remember playing Anniversary on the PS4... My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭The Phantom Pain

Been playing this for a few hours today as I have some time off.

It's pretty to look at. Environment is the most detailed so far of the trilogy which is to be expected for the first current gen entry in the reboot series. Face models and lip sync aren't great though, especially when you compare it to Uncharted 4 which came out 2 years earlier. I hate Lara's hair, it's so unnaturally messy that it takes me out. Also, one of the reasons why I think Uncharted has surpassed Tomb Raider is because of the characters around Nate, not just Nate himself. It's those little conversations with Chloe, Elena and Sully that make the story memorable. Jonah is dull and suffers from serious nice-guy syndrome.

Gameplay wise, it still has that dated checklist bloat where the goal is to loot and plunder everything in sight, forcing you to tap R3 every 2 seconds because it doesn't last long enough to identify useful resources that otherwise would blend into the environment. This was less of a problem in the 2013 one because it was tight and linear, it knew when enough was enough but I've just pulled out of the map and honestly don't know if I'll have time for this one if that's all I'm going to be doing.

I've finished it and only have to do the Deadly Obsession playthrough for the platinum, which I hear is horrible due to lack of checkpoints but I’ll be critical-pathing it on New Game plus so hopefully it won’t be too bad.

Overall, the game is ok. Enjoyable but forgettable. I much prefer it to Rise but it's nowhere near as good as the first one. The only time I felt emotion was when Lara
    sees her parents again one last time. The other is when she thinks Jonah is dead and emerges from the water absolutely wrecking everyone. They patched out some of her dialogue during that scene to make her seem less aggressive but it was badass. That moment also brought the biggest chuckle because after discovering that Jonah is not dead she asks him, "what would I do without you?"
    and the camera pans to the bloodbath she's made :D:D:D:D

Lara overall is far less annoying than she was in Rise. She doesn't cry and whimper every 5 seconds and doesn’t act like a traumatised victim after killing. The voice actress is still terrible though and her lines of dialogue almost feel like they were recorded in a bathroom at times (the audio mixing isn’t great).

The combat is the best part IMO, the stealth is much improved although up-close shooting can be a pain. The weapon upgrades have the same problem as Rise where you’re given the best weapons first and the rest is just down to preference in playstyles i.e. do you prefer damage over rate of fire etc.

When the game embraces what it has become rather than trying to appease fans crying that there needs to be more tombs and less killing it becomes a much better game. The first one was great because it was a linear cover based shooter with tombs scarce enough that they actually felt like a big deal when you found one. Here, they've gone the opposite way with combat being replaced with pointlessly long stretches of platforming and OMG guys the climbing in this game is so bad. Wow.

I don’t remember it being this clunky. You will die so many times due to Lara not doing what you instructed her to do. The camera during climbing is obstructive and sometimes downright nonsensical. The signposting is not good, with it sometimes being unclear where to go next so a lot of it is trial and error. The tombs here are OK but I'd wager they've been included as a bit of checklist ticking TBH. I like the one with the mirrors but the rest were meh, and I think the devs kind of give up by the time you reach Mission of San Juan, replacing finely crafted puzzles with spawning enemies and piranhas. Also, Lara crawling into those tight spaces to mask loading screens is at it’s most frequent here and still annoying.

As for the open world, it’s OK I guess. Pretty, but largely uninteresting. There’s something really lifeless about it despite how graphically impressive it is. It doesn’t feel like a living, breathing world but rather one that has been laid out like a playmat for the player. The collectibles are too abundant and just feel like padding. It stops being a "discovery" when you're grabbing the same types of things over and over. I think it's telling that the one gold trophy in the game is 100% completion - showing the devs value length over skill which is arguably the problem with a lot of triple A titles today.

I think the ending was really weak and the post credit scene seemed tacked on. Overall, a passable but somewhat disappointing finale to a trilogy that had a lot of potential.

Fair warning to those considering playing this game on Deadly Obsession DONT! It's not worth it.

Enfilade is right: unless you're going for the platinum Deadly Obsession is nothing more than an exercise in how long you can keep your sanity repeating 30 minute sections due to the straight up broken climbing mechanics. It only saves at base camps and there isn't enough of them on the main quest line itself. It's incredibly stress inducing and not fun.

I'll give you an example - During Cenote, perhaps the toughest section of the game, I could clear enemies easy. With my upgraded weapons and endless endurance I was basically invincible but whenever it got to the climbing section where you get the overhanging gear I kept falling to my death and I couldn't figure out why. Well, it turns out you have to first learn that you can't climb without the overhanging gear - as in you need to reach the top of the wall, look at the tutorial message saying 'MISSING GEAR' . So in other words, it's scripted and you can't attempt to get the climbing gear right away even if you know where to go until the game has made certain that you know you can't climb without the overhanging hear. The problem is... I'm playing on NG plus so I should already have that and yet I didn't for some reason.

Also, by disabling survival mode, about a quarter of the skill tree is absolutely useless lol. I mean I don't mind not having survival mode, I actually like having to figure out where to go but due to the terrible checkpoints the 'trial and error' approach loses it's appeal.

@Enfilade The reason why the shotgun is so weak even on lower difficulties is because you get so much ammo that they had to find a way to a balance it out. They could have looked at how Uncharted does Crushing mode rather than just lazily taking out checkpoints if they hadn't got rid of all the combat for the **** climbing.

For anyone who liked the game and hasn't played the DLCs yet, I'd thoroughly recommend them. You can get them all for £7.99 in the U.K and the tombs in them are fun. Seems like they saved the best for last. I've got the platinum and 100% all trophy DLCs so think I'm done with the game for now and can uninstall. It's been real.

Ah man I'm having flashbacks now of that deadly obsession run. Not fun, not fun at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Spare key if someone wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Spare key if someone wants it.

Thanks Dreamers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Sorry to bump old thread,

the defiintive edition is reduced on PSN store now for PS plus members and can be got for under 20e, surely worht picking up for that price with all teh DLC included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭brady12

Just finished this . Really enjoyed it even though a bit silly at times . There was a lot negativity around it at release was there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Luna84

I played it on release on Xbox and thought it was good. Bought it on release as the two previous reboots were good as well I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭brady12

Ya they were both very good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I seem to remember reviews bieng very lukewarm to it, can't really think why. It's a great game imo.

Advertisement