Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think he is USA$450 million spent - or at least liable for that amount in damages so far.

I think that most people would be spent with that hanging over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you just look at the clips of her talking about inflation,cloud storage,the boarder,passage of time or "being woke" she's a dear in headlights without a telepromter. Her 2019 campaign was a disaster and completely went to sh!t after the cnn debate especially when Gabbard destroyed her over her record as a prosecutor and Harris didn't even deny it. Harris vs Trump should be very interesting watch and more than likely a sh!tshow from both sides

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Probably PTSD , he's getting flashbacks from the helicopter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Oh no she is not!

This is becoming a pantomime - with the big bad villain stalking the innocent princess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That was 4 years ago, she was against one of the shrewest politicians in the US

Add to that most primary's in the US especially as a first time candidate is about structuring your campaign towards 4-8 years time. Biden choose her as his running mate so she must have had some fairly decent attributes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Tulsi is utterly full of sh!te and for her to be relied on as a voice of truth needs some examination. Why not look at what Harris did to Bill Barr, she's going to tear trump a new one at the debates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's interesting that all of those Harris examples are from 3+ years ago. She is a lot more comfortable in her skin nowadays. In that 2019 campaign and the beginning of her time as VP she seemed to be trying to be someone that she was not. Ever since the Dobbs supreme court decision though she appears to have found her groove. Biden's withdrawal from the race offered her an opportunity and she's taken it in her stride so far.

Meanwhile Trump is a shambling wreck. His speeches from the past few years are unwatchable - full of miserable griping or incoherent rambling. His crowds have the energy of people who are going to see their favourite band from years ago on their comeback tour - who only realise midway through the performance that they just don't have it anymore. I put it to anyone reading this - try and watch 20 minutes of a recent trump speech - not just some 30 second clip. He is a dreadful speaker.

Anyway. Trump has accepted the ABC debate (after trying initially to back out of it) so I guess we'll see which one of them "has it" next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I wonder what would happen if they surprised them on stage with a fact-checker at a live debate.

Wait till they're onstage and then announce it. Would Trump walk off, or would his ego not let him be seen to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

He'd simply state the fact checker is lying during and after the event and his goon squad of supporters would believe that's the case. All you'd end up doing is having an even worse debate because the fact checker would need time to check all the ramblings Trump spouts (inc. his mix up of the SF helicopter landing etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If Trump loses it won't be just because of RFK, but its going to be an issue because as a spoiler candidate he really has been a useful idiot for the Dems .

I said it before , if he was serious about hurting the Dems, then he needed to pivot to the left on Palestine because looking at the swing states their is clearly a small but important voting bloc where Palestine is everything but nope pivoted to the right on this and well look where we are right now.

Trump needs find a way to get him to drop out because its obvious now he is hurting him the most looking at how close the swing states are.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/15/rfk-jr-kamala-harris-cabinet-job-reports

Man, that's some paragraph

In the past six weeks, Kennedy has apologized for an alleged sexual assault, has been forced to explain why he staged the death of a bear cub in New York City’s Central Park, and has had to deny eating a dog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The vanity fair takedown of RFK, Jr is pretty impressive.

Great speech by Michelle Obama at the DNC this week. The Republicans are lucky that was never interested in running herself.

With the convention out of the way it's full steam ahead to the debate in under 3 weeks.

I don't want to say it was a great convention because I drifted in and out , but yeah overall it seemed to go down a storm and that's the most important thing.

Michelle is box office and was probably the highlight from what I seen.

On Josh Shapiro I know the Obama comparisons are obvious, but he's clearly trying to copy Obama rhetoric and speaking style and that's going to be a serious issue for him if he ever has presidential goals of his own.

The one small downside was despite trotting out Republicans, not one of them matter a jot in the real world, so it was a shame they couldn't snag someone who today's GOP base has some of liking for .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Anyone "Todays GOP Base" has some liking for are absolute loons - There are no more moderates that they find acceptable.

That shipped sailed 4 years ago.

That's kind of a logical impossibility though. Today's GOP is the MAGA base. The MAGA base is a cult of personality. As soon as someone goes against Trump they are cast out. The people who the base adores, such as Marjorie Taylor Greene, are never going to turn their back on Trump. If she did however, then she'd be a dead woman to them.

There is literally no Republican who could speak at the DNC who would make any of the Republican base think twice about voting for Trump. The very act of doing so would immediately render them a RINO in the base's eyes and they would only see them a despised traitor.

People like Adam Kinzinger, Stephanie Grisham and the Republican mayor weren't there to try and pursuade the GOP base who were hate watching the DNC to switch their votes. They were there to try and pursuade Independents not to vote for Donald Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm curious as to what's going to happen the GOP if trump loses. He's going to instantly lose interest in the party himself because I can't see him running again. And he's hollowed out the party to the point where it could descend into faction fighting when he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think so. I think he's foaming at the bit for that second term if only for a chance to get even with anyone he thinks slighted him. He'll burn the GOP to the ground if ever he decides that it's an impediment. He looks so empty, shriveled and defeated now.

If he does withdraw, the party will tear itself apart over who was most loyal or something equally insipid. If they lose again, they may start to realise that they need to go back to the centre.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Considering he's making millions on running directly and have it fund his defences why would he ever stop? It's a money machine for him and he can collect even further donations from a second "They stole your vote" campaign. He gets to be the star in the lime light (which is what he desires) and I'd see him continue until the day he dies basically and then it's faction war in GOP over who can be his spiritual successor while raising Trump as the new prophet speaking to them directly…

There isn't really a precedent for the sort of cult of personality movement that Trumpism is in the USA. There is however in many developing countries. Typically what happens is some kind of heir takes up the mantle but that the movement is never as strong again. That doesn't mean that they won't get back into power though. When tens of millions of people are ideologically wed to your movement that's very useful for future elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I guess Trump kind of needs the political connection as it gives him his best shot at avoiding most of his legal woes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Donald Trump Jnr taking the reins? There's a possibility that he would be even more rancorous than his father, and there is no way he is appealing to anyone BUT the MAGA crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

On a scary note IMHO one thing is certain if he loses and that is he will refuse to accept the result and the aftermath will be January 6th on steroids in the sense we will likely see significant violence.

Would be interesting to see the GOP allowing trump another chance at the prize if he'd lost the previous two goes - third times a charm?

He has a good chance of winning in November, but I would not put money on him finishing the full term.

I have looked at some of the stuff from 2016 campaign and he has really aged, he was much energetic back then and now that spark is clearly not their .

Its not a surprise though, he is near 80, supposedly only sleeps a few hours a night and has been under a lot of stress over the last years as the ALL CAP tweets at 6am would indicate.😗

Father time remains undefeated.

Speculating about who will be the MAGA successor is very tough, JD Vance would obviously have a huge start if Trump was not able to finish his 4 year term.

Couldn't see it being Don Jr. He has all of his father's worst qualities but doesn't have the reptilian instincts that have enabled Trump Sr. to be successful at politics. Don Jr. is just a coke-addled boor with all the charm of someone shouting into your ear in a pub.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be an actual family member. They'll just need to pay homage to Trump in the same way that Republicans in the Bush era paid homage to Ronald Reagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The Dems need to be pushing that. Just because Donny doesn't think JDV matters, there's still a chance that JDV will finish that 4 year term.

Advertisement