Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2025 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Hot metal and methedrine, I hear empire down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I was on the way to the car park, had decided to skip the headlines and get out of there circa 10. Passed the SD, saw an enormous crowd and Astley starting his set. One of the greatest EP moments I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Yes, Aphex Twin, Radiohead (I'd even take The Smile or Thom Yorke on his own!) & MBV as subs!! MBV actually did do EP, IIRC.

Twice, in 2008 and 2013. Superb both times. They ain't returning in 2025. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Fontaines possible headliners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully they're not playing ATN 🤞🤞🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Ah stop - didn't even bother registering this year for loyalty or buying tickets but if Thom Yorke appears on the line up in any form, I will move heaven and earth (Or find a seller) to get a ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

He was in the the categories (AT) last year too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

you may be disappointed so haha.
    In reality nothing is set in stone for next summer for any of the festivals.
    Over next few months offers and contracts will be exchanged.

Yea and an appearance at EP is almost guaranteed

• Advertisement

maybe not. They work with other promoters here in ireland so they could have alternative plans with them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Davysulls86

Fontaines new album is outstanding. A headline slot for them at EP can't be too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭rubick

Shout out to everyone that non-ironically selected Aphex Twin in the Festival Republic Wheel-o-Questionaire. If your favourite acts are selected, you will be entered into a competition to chug 10 pints of Orchard Thieves Wild and be in with the chance of winning a pint of Orchard Thieves Wild! Competition to be held on Monday AM in the Red Car Park.

#DriveSafe

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

In the nicest possible way I really hope you are wrong ha, although its only 1 act so if they can get a decent line up apart from them I'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd say never in a million years would Aphex Twin be booked BUT I'd pay good money to see it just to watch all the huns and kiddies have their minds re-wired in real time by it.

Fontaines with present momentum are probably too big for ATN given two nights at the 3Arena and the new album heading to no 1 in much of Europe. They're likely to get a much bigger offer from FR and I reckon it's either an EP headline slot or Marlay Park. They've outgrown Malahide I think unless they do two nights.

I'd love EP but more likely may be replicating the July show at Finsbury Park in Marlay with the same support - Kneecap, Amyl & the Sniffers, etc. We should find out soon after the 3Arena gigs. Must be tempting to them though to play to the biggest audience in the country and regarding them having different bookers, they've played EP three times at least, the last only two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

What this year proved more than any is that headliners are not the be all and end all of a festival.
    Id take a similar set of headliners if it meant more invested in better and more indie/rock/rap acts for Electric Arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

bigger than Nick Cave, Lorde or the National?

Fontaines seem to have built up a relationship with POD throughout their albums. I imagine it'll be a dedicated curated day similar to Lankum around June next year. Perhaps ATN

IMO they wouldn't sell out one night in Malahide with their current back catalogue.

Unless there was a great undercard with the likes of Shame/Murder capital and similar bands.

they sold over 25,000 tickets for 3 arena in no time. Could easily do big summer show bigger than malahide.
    Fontaines are bigger than Nick cave, lorde and the national in ireland at this moment.

Fontaines work with singular artists in ireland for all their headline shows.
    sure both ATN and EP could be non runners anyhow depending on their touring schedule next year, could very well be in america next august/September

Lorde's last Irish gig before ATN was headlining Forbidden Fruit. Not the draw she was.

Nick Cave's last Irish gig before ATN was Kilmainham. He could do one night at the 3Arena. Not two.

The National did one night at the 3Arena. Fontaines are doing two. They're a bigger act in Ireland right now and about to get bigger. Could possibly add a third 3Arena gig if the demand comes in the next few months as the album hits everywhere.

• Advertisement

I genuinely have no idea why you keep bringing that up like it means anything, they've played EP several times in the past while being promoted by Singular Artists. On top of that they can change promoters which happens often enough anyway. And they work with LiveNation already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ha! That very card, Shame, Fontaines, Murder Capital played the Tivoli (RIP) shortly after the 2018 Picnic. A great night.

Guess we'll see what next year brings. I don't think their new album is more mainstream than previous releases. Acclaimed yes.

Did LCD Soundsystem in Malahide with their great undercard sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭limabromac

thanks to boardies I got a refund for my tickets this morning as my loyalty didn’t work when first entered… sent a message to ticketmaster and they have refunded the difference and applied the loyalty

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manner14

Seems to be some tickets still on sale. When i click for one it give me the option to buy one but when i change it to two it says none available. It may be the last one 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

no it did not, my normal gig buddy was at it and wound up in the "golden circle" due to the poor sales of them, same thing happened to him at pearl jam.

That's one lucky gig buddy

Fontaines last album was no 1 in Ireland & the UK. Top five in Germany, Belgium, Netherlands. No 7 in France. No 2 in US Heat. This album will be bigger.

As above they’ve already sold 25k tickets for the 3Arena shows and may sell more if they add another date. If they don’t do EP then it’s Marlay or two nights at Malahide. They’re the biggest Irish indie act since the early years of U2 and they’re potentially heading towards topping the bill at Glastonbury.

Fontaines are also doing two nights at FR/LN events this weekend (Reading/Leeds). If they were actually booked for EP this year but pulled out, part of the agreement with FR may have been to return in 2025. Who knows? But hey, the top of the poster would look a hell of a lot less bad than 2024 with them at the top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭crl84

Fontaines DC played 2nd down in the EA after their last album came out.
    They're not headlining EP in 2025, get real.

Might get a main stage pre-headliner slot. At best they're getting bumped up to the second line of the poster, below the actual headliners.

They played the 5th largest stage at Glastonbury this year. They're a million miles from headlining.
    To put that into context, the other headliners for that stage this year were Peggy Gou and London Grammar.
    Last year Fever Ray, Fatboy Slim and Alt-J were the headliners.

And a UK no.1 is pretty meaningless these days. No.1 the week before them was Digga D, no.1 the week after was Blossoms. Steps were no.1 a few months after them…..

A no.1 this week will put them in the same company this year as Shed Seven, D-Block Europe and last week's no.1 album holder: Beabadoobee.

Post edited by crl84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Absolutely, they're good but they're no Kodaline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Erm…Nick Cave is playing two nights in 3Arena in November.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Davysulls86

Easily selling out two nights at the 3Arena, possibly a third. That’s headline status right there.

• Advertisement

I’d have assumed that ‘heading towards’ headlining Glastonbury was pretty unambiguous. Apparently not. It ain’t happening in 2025 but possibly 2027/28.

Tis all about trajectory. These guys have made it in Europe and are getting bigger here. They break the US in the next 2/3 years and they’ll top the bill at Glasto.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

Yep, exactly. Him and Kodaline are EP headliner material these days. Not Fontaines DC, who played to a not-even-full Electric Arena two years ago.

Not really. Maybe if EP had the same customer demographic as a Fontaines DC gig, but it doesn't.
    Lest we forget in 2022 you were telling us that there's no chance that they'd be in the EA and would have to be in on the Main Stage due to crowd control issues as they were far too big to be anywhere else. Turns out there isn't actually anywhere near as many Fontaines DC fans at EP as you think.

I stand corrected @Dreamweapon, wasn’t aware of those dates. The only proviso I’d make is that I think the Fonts could do a third night but the Seeds not. But I could be completely wrong.

An Irish indie band (don’t underestimate the local support) who’ve had two number 1 albums (with a third to be announced next week) and who can do two or three nights at the 3Arena can headline EP. Their monthly listening figures are 9 times those of the Saw Doctors and 12 times those of the Mary Wallopers, both of whom had significant slots on the main stage this year. The kids are listening to the Fonts so don’t patronise ‘em.

In terms of the Park Stage, at 20k it’s close to double the capacity of Woodsies and the fourth largest stage at EP. It goes quite a way back if you’ve been there. You omitted two of the sub-headliners over the past two years, Leftfield and Orbital who’ve both headlined EP. Fatboy Slim has headlined EP twice and could easily take the slot that Calvin Harris had this year. Most here wouldn’t like it but it’d be no great shock.

The stage is also one where big acts do surprise slots, examples being Radiohead, Jack White, Pulp, Elbow and others. You’d be foolish to assume it’s a little stage brushed away in the corner. And as before watch the Fonts continue to move up the bill there. They don’t and you can admonish me back here in 3/4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭antfin

I'd imagine that POD/Aiken would be falling overthemslevs to get Fontaines back as Saturday night headliner again at ATN. I could nearly see an Idles/Fontaines double header! They perfectly fit the attendance profile and could be a massive draw if announced pre-Christmas and they increase capacity beyond 30k next year. That said, there's no reason why EP couldn't put them into the Gerry Cinnamon/Kodeline slot next year and satisfy a massive percentage of the EP crowd, even those who thronged to see Kahan! Lets not forget, it's not many picnic's ago that they had The Strokes.

The Strokes who are one of the biggest headliners and legacy bands in the world. Those guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I'd say the fontaines could take the wolfetones slot for next year who will be moved to closing for one last time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭antfin

My point on The Strokes was more that indie/guitars might not be not dead on the main stage just yet... albeit its probably a poor trajectory of tbe last two years. But in terms of size, if Cinnamon and Kodeline can sub-headline the main stage, there's no reason that Fontaines couldn't pull a similar size crowd!

in regards to saw doctors/wallopers those are bands where the Spotify listeners doesn’t reflect either the tickets they can sell or the numbers who will watch them at EP.
    As using the fact that leftfield, orbital etc headlined EP and played same Glastonbury stage as Fontaines the context is that orbital and leftfield headlined EP a decade or more ago when it’s capacity was 1/3 or 1/4 of what it is now.
    if Fontaines play EP next year (which I don’t think they will) they will be a sub headliner.
    even though they can sell 2x 3 arena they aren’t as broadly popular as recent EP headliners.

idles won’t be going near an AIken festival this century.
    honestly the strokes at EP in 2019 was odd one. I don’t we will see the likes of those acts in headline slots.

honestly see the likes of Chappell Roan, Sabrina carpenter as likely acts for next year depending on their schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I’d pay good money to see the look on @bodhrandude ’s face as he stands front and centre 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Hank the DJ

It was a full EA, I was standing in front of the sound desk it it was rammed the whole way back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement