Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T80 Wont Heat Water

• 23-08-2024 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Having a bit of a weird problem with a 1 year old Triton T80 shower in my attic bathroom. The low pressure light never comes on but from Googling I dont think that rules it out, there hasnt been any noticeable change in pressure in the rest of the house in the last 12 months though.

Basically its humming away as if it was operating properly but the water is freezing cold, Ive waited 48 hours to see if any TCO resets or anything like that but no joy. This has happened once or twice in the last year but it always started working again within an hour.

A relative took off the front cover, checked the flow everything looked fine, it started working again after that so I left it.

Now a month later its completely cold again, has been for a week. Im just wondering if anyone recognizes this problem or if theres a way to remove the cover and manually reset it? Or anything in there I can adjust to see if it makes any difference (obviously with the isolation and the houses main trip switch turned off)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭John.G

I would check that flow rate myself, turn the temperature control to fully cold then with the shower head in place, switch on the shower and hold a container under it for exactly 15 secs, measure this with a 1 litre milk bottle or whatever, X4 to give the flow rate in LPM. My T80Z Fastfit requires 4.5/5.0LPM to start heating but flows 7.5/8.0LPM doing the above test. There is no low pressure/flow LED on mine but it does have a crude indication in the form of a red (semaphore) flag which shows red in the window and disappears when the flow is OK but not really a good indication as it can be "nearly" invisible but the heating element contacts are still open, a real low pressure LED is fed from contacts on one of the microswitches.

Do that flow test again and if OK and you can use a multimeter can suggest a test or two, TCO etc. If the flow is ~ 4/5 LPM, turn the power switch to select one element, then very slowly turn the temperature control towards hot and see if the water starts heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks John will do, it just feels like whenever someone opens the front cover and checks stuff it seems to reset something in there and it starts working again for weeks/months, is there anything in there like that that I can reset myself do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,131 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Removing the cover does nothing to the pressure valve or TCO. In other words removing the cover can't effect the temperature in any way.

In Ireland mains fed shower should be fed from the cold water tank in the attic & pumped to the shower. In parts of Dublin most homes can't get hot water from a mains fed shower on the ground floor. Less again on the next floor. Only a cowboy would attempt to run a shower directly from the mains in the attic in Dublin.

You issue is most likely water pressure problems due to an incorrectly installed shower. Extremely unlikely to be a faulty shower

If the temperature control has to be kept turned almost fully to cold, does it??, then looks like a pressure problem but no harm in checking that the control is properly alligned before replacing the cover, it shows in the instructions how to do it, here it is, below.

Post edited by John.G on

Im in Limerick and this thing has been okay for the last year, maybe 4-5 blips in that time but it replaced an older model with 15 years service in the same spot.

Okay Ill give it a try, feck it anyway looks like another new shower will be required, is there such a thing as an ultra low pressure model? Plumbing it to a tank not an option where it is.

• Advertisement

Regardless of past experience it sounds like a water pressure problem and not a shower issue. If your pressure drops by even 1% it can be enough to cause the issue you describe. The reason no shower is allowed to be connected to the mains water supply in Ireland is because our water system isn't designed for it and performance can't be guaranteed.

When you turn it on does the flow indicator change colour at all? It should change colour if you have enough pressure. If it doesn't change colour then it's either not installed correctly or you don't have enough pressure.

Try it at midnight when mains water demand drops off. If you get warm water then you have proved it's a pressure issue. Another test is to cover the shower head with your head for 8 seconds or so. Let go but keep a hand in the flow of the water. If it gets warm for a few seconds then it's a water pressure problem. It could take another 10 seconds for the warm water to reach the shower head

It doesnt seem to matter what the temp setting is doing tbh, when it works its just like a normal shower, now its just cold no matter what settings I try before I turn it on. I always leave it on the one heater setting.

That 15 second flow test at fully cold will tell nearly all IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement