Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you bought anything from China and / or from AliExpress? anything you can recommend

• 22-08-2024 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you are all well.

I have a few bikes and have learned how to do some maintenance jobs on them.. mostly from Youtube.

For a few years now I have bought a lot of cycling related stuff on Ali express..

Some good...some not so good...

It has mostly been a bit of fun and I have never spent too much on anything...

I have also enjoyed watching Tracevélo's videos on YouTube, where he has done very well, describing his journey, buying AliExpress stuff...

So have you bought anything?

Can you recommend anything cycling - related?

Thanks a mil,

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭vintcerf

I've bought a fair amount - few bits i would recommend:

cyclami pump (decent quality but battery loses power even when not used)

tpu tubes (no issues really only co2 cracking the valves initially but that's not on the tubes)

Specialized Swat saddle mount for Garmin Varia

Front mount for Varia light and head unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I've bought two sets of the cone spanners I need for the various bikes, think they were 2.50 each or there abouts. Can't fault them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

elite wheels carbon wheels. €450 ish. Brilliant. No issues. 3 years later still running true.
    Carbon handlebars and seaport from Og evkin. Handlebar is perfect. Saddle did slip a little so I just torqued a bit more. No more issues.

Happy enough with all my purchases. Thinking of trying a 3D printed saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Folks still using AliExpress now that Temu is the new show in town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Aliexpress are very reliable and have shifted their refund policy from seller biased to buyer biased (with persistence). Rarely takes more than a month these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Evening!

It is good to hear you have had good experiences with them..

I have bought some good stuff from them..

Ztto cables, tools, brake blocks and pads, a saddle, rim tape, bar tape, stem..

Ykyw bibs and shorts.. very good..

Specxel bibs, cycling tops and really nice fleece-lined cycling jackets.. my favourite for winter.

XTiger bib shorts..really cheap and really good..

Fushi bearings.. seem to be very good.

Sensah Empire groupset.. works really well..front derailleur not quite as good as Shimano...

Zrace Compact crank.. has been perfect..

I bought a pair of cheap cleats and pedals... the cleats snapped and on a hard club ride.. the pedal snapped too!

but mostly my experience has been quite good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've managed to get through life without ever having bought anything from aliexpress, temu, or amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You must be a statistical anomaly 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭koutoubia

The usual handlebars etc..

3 frames.

One many years ago from Hong Fu.

Another from Hong Fu painted in club colours.

And the latest is the Elves rim brake Falath.

No real issues. Just the Falath has a strange geometry and am on an XL which is a 54 in our money..

The new ones seem to be more of a size we are used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Consumables

ZTTO - great value and a huge range of products- stems/chainrings/brake discs/cassettes/chains- always go official store and ideally "Choice" so as to get somewhat expedited shipping.

Wheels

Elite official store for best value carbon wheels- I have SLT pro rim brake for over 5 years and only needed to change freehub bearing.440 euro, liked them so much ordered 88mm front & full carbon disc for TT. 800 for the set. Subsequently went for a set of gravel wheels 35mm and also have been brilliant. 420 euro.They do offer very good sales from time to time.

Saddles

Mixed 5d/6d/7d - carbon saddle for circa 30 euro.

i have 5d on road bike and 6d wider (155mm) on gravel

Folks also rave about 3d printed Ryet- Dave Arthur on YT. i haven't token the plunge as yet.

Cranks

Senicx cranks i have on road and bike and Gravel both 170mm, former came with 3 bolt(Sram style) chainrings and arms spindle etc for 75€ (50/34) and latter (same 3 bolt- so sram rings fit them) MTB style for gravel for 39 euro, great value.

Frames

I have a Lexon Gran Durance Gravel frame built up and its been great!

Coupled with Sram Rival 11 speed mechanical groupset and Elite gravel wheels,shes a fine machine.

basically 10% of salary goes to AliExpress, if not more! LOL

Look up Trace Velo on YT- and down the rabbit hole you go!

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

This kind of thing really puts me off tbh despite any of the good stories I hear, a pedal snapping could kill someone. Iv had a Look carbon frame and a Focus frame fail on me in the past, so I'm aware its not just a 'cheap' thing but can ali express carbon products really stand up to top brands in terms of quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭koutoubia

oh yeah…forgot to mention the Ryath 3D printed saddle. Best saddle I have had in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi,

those particular pedals and cleats were rubbish.. i think for recreational riding around the park & not a pedal to the metal group ride..

The brand were Zeray

Some specific brands on Ali are very good & very reliable...

For example like the posters above mentioned .. Ztto, Sensah, Spexcel, X Tiger...

oh yea.. i have a Deng Fu Carbon lightweight carbon frame with Sensah Empire groupset... has been great.. no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Dr.Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Aliexpress is a huge marketplace with every single grade of manufacturer. If you go cheapest that what you will get, if you do your research and pick quality brands you will get quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 joseph61

Zeray pedals and cleats didn’t meet your expectations for group rides. Ztto, Sensah, Spexcel, and X Tiger are great alternatives for reliability. Your Deng Fu Carbon frame with the Sensah Empire groupset seems like a solid choice—glad it’s working well for you. https://spellingbeenyt.net/

Advertisement