Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Fuel Payments for pensioners on 52k per year, Is Our welfare system out of touch?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Where did their high income come from?

A previous high income I guess, which they paid tax on, so what exactly is your issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They were better off than most while they were working, and they're even better off now that they're retired.

I'm not seeing why they should be getting benefits (not entitlements but benefits) people much poorer than them don't get, all while getting favourable tax treatment too.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

"Debate" around pensioners entitlements, like water charges and inheritance taxes, a case study in cognitive dissonance

• we should tax the rich, except if they've gotten to the (arbitrary enough) age of 65
    • you pay tax "all your life" - you're exempt from any scrutiny but only once you hit 65. Should a person (me for example) in their 40s having paid a large 7 figure sum in income taxes alone (then add in indirect taxes) be entitled to anything? No - however the day you hit 65 then yes. I don't hear anyone saying "these people under 65 pay shedloads of tax - give them a medical card it's the least they deserve" but once one becomes a certain age they've "contributed" so should get the red carpet treatment
    • funniest is when left leaning people start making an argument for a system where the more you pay into the system the more you should get out - but of course only once a person hits the magical age of 65. Before that you're merely a sponge that no matter how much you're squeezed for then they're like an insatiable monster wanting more, more, more from you

Its no wonder pensioners are so cossetted by politicians (over 65 demographic experiences lowest levels of deprivation, poverty, at risk of poverty etc) and the old age pension has increased by multiples of CPI in the past 30 or so years. Not only are they protecting the grey vote but they lose relatively few votes (if any) from the U65s paying for the largess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They didn't pay tax on the income that they put into their pension plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem the cosseted pensioners face is that life expectancy is quite limited compared with those of half their age.

Plus of course, not only is their life expectancy limited, their future health status is probably not great either. Of course health problems for pensioners do not come in single spies but in battalions. Nobody looks forward to the medical conditions that beset the elderly - dementia, Parkinson, heart problems, COPD, and general frailty..

And then there is the old peoples home and the cost of it to look forward to as the light declines.

So the begrudgery is misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Nobody pays tax on their standard pension contributions (within revenue limits)

That's my point, they availed of a very generous tax break.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You are talking about a very small cohort of people who can salt away vast pensions from their own assets.

Look instead at the top civil servants who get huge pensions, and include in that politicians.

However, they ar not a large percentage of those over 66.

This thread is all about begrudgery.

There's a lot more than "a very small cohort" putting money into pensions with 40% tax relief.

Look at the huge industry that has developed to meet the needs of these savers.

Do you have any figures to substantiate your 'huge industry' to help the private pension industry?

I think the bulk of the private pension business is for relatively small savers. I doubt there are many who are inconvenienced by the Revenue fund limit of pension pots.

Of course these benefiting from such pensions will not qualify for the WFP of the title of this thread.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I am not sure what your point is on the tax free pension contributions and this thread Ultimately to be pensionable, it has to earned income. These people that the OP and other mentioned with big pensions worked for them. The tax break means nothing, it's still their money. They were not just given them. All through their working lives they paid tax, and perhaps benefited little from welfare during that time.

Meanwhile there is a significant cohort of people that for various reasons contributed little to nothing, got or are getting.loads of welfare benefits and now see these 'rich former workers' with big pensions as fair game to criticise for getting some State benefits in their later years so they can get even more benefits. As others said, it's just begrudgery.

Personally, I think it's a great idea that older people have free GP cards etc. The State knows these people are more likely to attend for regular check ups where minor medical ailments can be detected early and possibly divert them away from a chronically stretched health service. The State is clearly thinking or playing the long game.

You pay tax on the pension fund on draw down.

Tax free on entry to encourage people to provide for themselves in their retirement.

The efforts of the industry to get the €2million cap raised to €5 million recently wouldn't suggest a focus on small savers.

'The tax break means nothing'???? The tax break means a 40% uplift on their pension fund, with tax foregone by the State as a result. If it means nothing, then let's just wipe out the tax break and see how many people reckon it means nothing! They benefit hugely from growth of the tax free amount too of course.

They're also far less likely to pay tax on that money, certainly not ALL of that money, given the generous tax breaks for older people.

But the government has to pay them the OAP regardless.

Scrap the cap!

YES - the very people you refer to pay loads of prsi/tax AND also pay into a private pension.

Perhaps I am missing your point?

You are so argumentative. I wonder at times if you're know what you are taking about. You are making out that people are getting free money or something. It's their money, they earned it to do what they like with it.

The State for multiple reasons allows people to contribute to their pensions tax free (up to various limits).

However, people have to pay tax out of pension over a quite small sum, so it's not all money lost to the exchequer.

Do you have a private/work pension ? If so, Do you avail of a tax break ?

So whats your point on tax breaks?

What are the generous tax breaks for old people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If boards still exists in 20 to 30 years I can see this thread being resurrected and some posters having a very different outlook!

Let the pensioners enjoy their money and free time. It's the only time in life anyone can have both at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I highly doubt pensions as we know them will exist in 20 to 30 years time.

Let the pensioners enjoy their money and free time

The problem is that they are enjoying this for far, far longer than the system was ever originally designed. I'm aware some will see it as begrudgery, but I don't really care. The system is going to collapse in on itself long before I ever draw down a pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭mykrodot

exactly, then the very same people will be crying into their cornflakes demanding that the Government increase the pension rate and give everyone the fuel allowance!

Many of these pensioners worked in very different times, mortgage rates were 17/18%, there was no insulation in houses, ice and condensation on the inside of windows. There were NO treats!! Everyday now we "treat" ourselves because "we're worth it"!! Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime memberships, new phone every few years, at least one holiday a year, lots of weekend breaks, lavish weddings with 3 day hen parties…………NONE of that was part of life for these pensioners, they scrimped and saved and used every last bit of food in the fridge.

I know this because despite my father having a great business and a wife and 7 kids, my parents were frugal and always saved for the future (for us),grew all their fruit and vegetables, hens in the garden for eggs, a holiday once a year in Donegal. My father lost all his money which he had invested from his business in the Black Monday crash in 1987. We never had daily treats of chocolate or cakes. Life now is luxury beyond belief compared to then. But are we happier? The answer to that is obvious!

Let these people enjoy those few golden years before bad health takes over!

• Advertisement

They're not providing for themselves in retirement if they're drawing the OAP! They're providing a nice additional cushion for themselves on top and getting a very expensive to the exchequer tax break to assist them in doing so.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭JVince

That family of 4 would be entitled to about €200 a week Working Family Payment. They'd also have full medical cards and assuming 2 children they'd have school clothing allowance and plenty of other benefits too. But most of all they'd have an incentive to work rather than be on social welfare

BTW the married pensioners on 52k will be paying about €3000 tax and also one day you will be a pensioner and be glad of the scheme if your total pension is 26k or less

what would you prefer? That they squander every last penny they have on drink and drugs during their working life. Then soley rely on the state in retirement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I suppose the PRSI they paid during their careers just vanished?
    (Yes I know it's paying for the pensions of those who retired when they were working, but you understand the notion of contribution)

The state pays them the same either way.

The only difference is giving a very generous (more generous to top rate taxpayers than lower) tax break to relatively or quite well off people.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

They avoided paying tax on it by putting it into a pension fund, enjoying considerable growth on the tax free amount, and benefiting from the many tax breaks for older people when they come to draw down the income in retirement. They could be drawing it down from age 50, if they've left the employment in question, making it a legal, transparent tax avoidance scheme.

And yes, I've availed of that tax relief too, you'd be a fool not to. That doesn't make it right.

• Advertisement

The Winter Fuel Payment is a means tested benefit. If you qualify, then that is OK.

However, means tests vary, depending on the benefit - and it is a political decision how they play out. I would like to see the means tests revised to make them more evenly spaced so it is not a case of get one and you get all, but miss one and you miss them all.

I would like to see Child Benefit raised by 60% and subject to income tax as income. It would those on the highest tax of 40% would still get the current amount, while those that do not pay tax and have children will get 60% extra. This would have a massive effect on child poverty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,188 ✭✭✭✭zell12

income increase for those in employment is 1.8% for 2023/24. By contrast, many of those in ­receipt of welfare payments are ­comparatively better off. The 157,000 people on disability allowances will get a net increase in incomes of 3.8%, as will the 146,000 on Jobseeker’s Allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,188 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cross-party backbench TDs want €20pw pension increase in a bid to win over older voters before a general election.

Another kite raised in the hope of votes in the upcoming election. I think pensions are not the most important, and this amount would mop up much of what is available.

There are plenty of issues that need to be addressed like child allowance, childcare costs, plus anything to tackle housing.

Targeted payments are needed much more than 'one for everyone in the audience'. There are some families who are suffering and unable to pay their bills and put food on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My parents have close to 1m in assets, that includes their house.

The taxpayers give them 35 pm / 420 pa off their electricity bills

I am a big supporter of social insurance, and that it should be more generous than social assistance.

But I think we are too generous to pensioners.

If it's too politically difficult to withdraw this benefit, then instead remove the three tax reliefs than over 65s get.

• Advertisement

This could backfire badly. The generations priced out of housing (or even renting) seeing yet more resources going to the generations above them who "had it all" won't be happy.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Assets do not imply income. The place to resist change is in the inheritance tax allowances, notwithstanding Neil Richmond's angst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Of course we are too generous to pensioners. But until the younger generations start voting in greater numbers, this will remain the case. Is it fair? No. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not. But it's realpolitik unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It would have little effect on child poverty. There is no guarantee that child benefit is spent on children.

Far better to spend the money on providing hot meals in schools, free books in schools, access to GP visit cards, increased number of social workers working with families, etc. Those types of measures, as seen in most European countries are far better at addressing child poverty than throwing money at parents.

Poverty is a nasty situation to find oneself in, and particularly single mothers with a few young children.

Benefits are in the form of cash, not food stamps, so recipients spend it on their needs, whatever they happen to see them as. Moving to food stamps is demeaning for the recipients.

Child benefits generally go to the mother, and most mothers use it to benefit their children. Increasing it and taxing it so that well off parents do not see an increase, while those not paying tax see a large increase, certainly benefits those that are trapped in poverty.

Of course, child care is another trap for the poor and should be addressed, and is being addressed. Unfortunately, this has to be done through private suppliers because the state does not have the infrastructure to address this. There are not enough places anyway so the state needs to step in.

However, the lack of sufficient state provided social housing with suitably subsidised rents is a serious cause of poverty and homelessness. Now this is not new. The state stopped building council houses the the 1980s, and has not really resumed in any material way.

Private rents should be controlled, but no Gov would want to grasp that particular nettle. That is the first priority, and evictions for no fault of the tenant should end. Selling a house should not be grounds for an eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Havenowt

Why quit their job? There is the option of part time evening courses or online courses. Plenty of people work full time and take on a college.

I never mentioned food stamps so don't know why you threw that at me.

If there is a particular policy failing, the most efficient way to address this is to direct funding towards that issue. If children are getting insufficient nutrition, provide them with school meals. If children are not attending school, increase the number of education officers to address this.

Increasing child benefit does not address these policy failings, it just throws money randomly at the problem. We end up with money being spent inefficiently and the problem not being resolved.

Your policy of selling a house not being grounds for eviction will deny a generation the chance to buy their own house, as the only market for the house will be a landlord, most likely an institutional landlord.

Benefits are paid in cash but in the USA they use food stamps to direct the benefit to be used for food. That is not the way we do things. Food stamps are the only way to force recipients to spend benefits in a particular way. It demeans the recipients. How else would you guarantee that child benefit is spent on children? What spending do you consider inappropriate? Even food stamps can be traded for alternatives.

The Gov are directing funding to tackle those failings - Doctor Visit Cards for all kids, school dinners, school books for primary schools - later to be extended to secondary schools, child care subsidy, etc. All of these are being actioned by the current Gov.

As for no-fault-evictions, the tenants that get evicted then becomes homeless. How does that help any generation to buy their own home?

The only reason the landlord wants vacant possession is to increase the selling price. Who does that help? Certainly not those trying, but unable, to buy a home of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Private rents are controlled already. It's the reason a few of the REITs are looking at pulling out. A 2% rental increase cap is unsustainable when house maintenance costs are raising by about 5%+ a year.

An eviction ban for sale or where the LL wanted the house themselves or for a family member would mean that as tenants leave LL would not relet. It nothing about grasping nettles. It plain economics.

Uneconomical rents where LL see the risk/cost/ rent profile go out of balance will see LL sell when they get the opportunity. I have a rental, as it is it is now in a rent pressure zone, this means when the present tenant exits whether in 2 or 5 years time I will have to reassess whether its make sense to continue renting it out or do I sell it.

Definitely if it there was a regulation regarding no vacant possession if I wanted to sell it I would not be reletting the property.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭moon2

The only reason the landlord wants vacant possession is to increase the selling price. Who does that help? Certainly not those trying, but unable, to buy a home of their own.

In fairness, it helps the people who are buying it. The main reason and most common case, and I'm sure few would disagree, is that the buyer probably wants to live in the house without sharing it with a bunch of strangers.

If I were in the market and ready to splash out a few hundred thousand, I absolutely wouldn't expect to be buying one or more housemates, roommates, or tenants of any kind.

• Advertisement

We have the highest child benefit rates in Europe (other than Switzerland). There is no need to increase child benefit. Much better than any available funding is directed towards other areas of child support, common across Europe. Most other countries have tax credits for children, so that working parents get some relief.

As for no-fault evictions, you would need a constitutional amendment on private property to permanently ban evictions when a house is sold, particularly when there are rent restrictions in place. Such a measure would reduce the number of houses available for young people to buy to live in.

Advertisement