Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I guess Trump kind of needs the political connection as it gives him his best shot at avoiding most of his legal woes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Donald Trump Jnr taking the reins? There's a possibility that he would be even more rancorous than his father, and there is no way he is appealing to anyone BUT the MAGA crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

On a scary note IMHO one thing is certain if he loses and that is he will refuse to accept the result and the aftermath will be January 6th on steroids in the sense we will likely see significant violence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Would be interesting to see the GOP allowing trump another chance at the prize if he'd lost the previous two goes - third times a charm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He has a good chance of winning in November, but I would not put money on him finishing the full term.

I have looked at some of the stuff from 2016 campaign and he has really aged, he was much energetic back then and now that spark is clearly not their .

Its not a surprise though, he is near 80, supposedly only sleeps a few hours a night and has been under a lot of stress over the last years as the ALL CAP tweets at 6am would indicate.😗

Father time remains undefeated.

Speculating about who will be the MAGA successor is very tough, JD Vance would obviously have a huge start if Trump was not able to finish his 4 year term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Couldn't see it being Don Jr. He has all of his father's worst qualities but doesn't have the reptilian instincts that have enabled Trump Sr. to be successful at politics. Don Jr. is just a coke-addled boor with all the charm of someone shouting into your ear in a pub.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be an actual family member. They'll just need to pay homage to Trump in the same way that Republicans in the Bush era paid homage to Ronald Reagan.

The Dems need to be pushing that. Just because Donny doesn't think JDV matters, there's still a chance that JDV will finish that 4 year term.

The way he's deteriorating he's not going to be in a fit state to run in 4 years. He's already mumbling, slurring and getting people's names wrong. With Biden in the race it wasn't as noticeable since Biden was so much further down that particular path. Now though he's the oldest nominee for President ever and it's showing.

I think they need someone with charm and smarts.

Is it Rubio? Can he attract the MAGA voters that would never publicly say they're racist?

Brian Kemp? He's 60 now. Might have missed the boat to be a two termer.

Vivek is never, ever going to happen.

Youngkin? 57? I dunno, seems a bit weedy.

Nikki Haley? I think any Dem is going to wipe the floor with her spinelessness. She probably had the best chance for 28, but "Reek"ed it.

DeSantis, Scott and Cruz all seem so obsequious to Trump, that they might stand a chance, but they don't strike me as smart or charming, and I can't see them trying to reach the middle ground to win them over.

I think that's it. All the front runners seem incredibly inflexible, like they can't change positions on anything as it shows weakness. In politics, you have to be able to negotiate but not to the extent you give away your principles. I don't think I can see any of the above reaching that bar. Someone like Adam Kinzinger (48) once the curse of MAGA is broken, could be a future President. He has time on his side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How many times has someone who has lost, been picked/allowed by the party to run again? Usually it's you lose, you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Kemp signed in a very hardline abortion ban, it made sense at the time as he needed to keep the God Squad happy but its ruined any chances he has nationally. He's also got a charm which is very Georgian but won't translate outside that state.

Rubio should have been the VP pick this time round, he and Trump have became pally but from all accounts the residency rule of both been from Florida was something they just couldn't overcome which is a shame from their POV because this election would be in Trump's pocket if he had went with him.

Haley may come back, but she could wait it out because at 52 in America time is most certainly on her side which is a crazy thing to type but lol.

RDS had 250 million to play with when he ran for pres and absolutely bombed, donor's wont want to be burned like that again on someone who from all accounts is quite abrasive and has very little charisma.

Vivek fits the mold of the successor to Trump, some wealthy grifter outside politics who can spin a yarn about been a threat to the establishment etc,,,it won't be Vivek though because he is to annoying.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the Dems win in Nov, then Biden can resign ass soon as it is clear she has won, and Harris becomes President, and Trump can do nothing about it. Fait accompli!.

In fact, Biden could resign prior to Nov 5th, and Harris becomes the incumbent which if done soon, would give her an advantage.

As expected RFK is dropping out and supporting Trump.

He admits that he reached out to Harris as well in order to come to an agreement with her (i.e. tap her up for a job) but she wouldn't talk to him.

I wonder if Trump promised him a job. Good luck making sure he keeps that promise if he has.

That's all very Blackadder.

(Of course if it happened before she gave a press conference, that would be the icing on the cake. Watching all the Republicans heads explode...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,414 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm who would be VP in that scenario though. Seems risky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The VP position would remain vacant.

It was left vacant when Johnson became President following the assassination of JFK - until he was elected President in 1964.

It was left vacant following Agnew's resignation, and again when Ford became President following Nixon's resignation.

So not that unusual.

It would be a cunning way to stop Trump becoming the 47th President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

My understanding is he was offered a cabinet position if he withdrew and endorsed comrade Trump which is what he has done. Essentially a bribe which is about right for this whack job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

the Harris/Walz ticket is simply terrible. She’s not presidential material whatsoever. The majority don’t want to hear it here but Trump is going to win in November. People are struggling economically in the USA and here and that is going to be the story of this election tbh

• Advertisement

I don't think it does. I think I heard on a podcast that there's a clause for a VP to become president in case they have to and still be able to be elected to two terms. The first "replacement" term doesn't count unless it's over a certain amount of days, iirc.

People are struggling worldwide, it's not just the states.

At least she has a plan to go after corporate greed. The other side's plan is to tax less, which will affect the wealthy more.

That's not the answer. Less tax for the wealthy means more money for them, but less tax to pay state and federal employees.

Less tax to pay for programmes to help the worse off.

Less tax to invest in infrastructure, like roads, public transport, schools etc. and all that infrastructure creates jobs as well.

I think a dignified prosecutor and a social studies teacher are a far more presidential team than a convicted felon that was found liable for sexual assault and a tech bro that has some pretty weird views on the role of women in society

Johnson was re-elected after his part term, and then chose not to run the second time.

Clearly he could have run, but the Vietnam war was the reason he chose not to run.

Having the VP position vacant is not a problem. It just means that the next in line gets the gig.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

terrible idea. Because then her first term is months long instead of 4 years. It’ll be a SCOTUS case to see if she can run for 2 elections

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No it wouldn't be. Johnson was President much longer than Harris would be after suceeding from being VP. There was no mpediment to him running for President in '68. He did not run because of low popularity and health reasons

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Resigning after a victory in November would be absolutely freaking hilarious.

She could pardon Hunter Biden. She could pass the border bill via executive order. So much she could get up to.

Hadn't thought of it, but it's really a brilliant idea. I doubt it happens, too much respect for Joe Biden and I doubt he's going anywhere while he can stand upright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think she’d be legally able to run. It would be incredibly damaging to have have the other side screaming about subverting democracy and taking losing cases to court. It would be a **** show.

This isn’t the 60s, Nixon would be run out of the GOP for being a Rhino.

they/them/theirs

It's not the '80s. Reagan and Bush would be run out of the GQP.

I think the law is clear if a VP suceeds a president in the first half of the term he is status barred form running for two more terms, if he suceeds on the second half he can serve two more terms. SCOTUS has no say in the matter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Both Trump and Harris gave 45 min acceptance speech at their parties jamboree.

The only problem was Trump's took him an hour and a half because he kept losing the plot. He cannot keep to the script because keep losing his place on the autocue. A sign of his increasing dementia.

Also, he keeps on losing his audience at his rallies - literally. They leave his poorly attended rallies halfway through, probably through boredom - what on earth is he on about?

Harris just needs to keep on the weird and age pointers. Also, mention the felon, and her experience of prosecuting felons.

What is this thing about Vance and sofas? Is that weird or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

I’d love to read an actual intelligent defence of Trump and why he is a better candidate then anybody.

There is absolutely nothing in your post to discuss, it’s waffle with nothing of substance. In many ways, it mirrors Trumps strongest “quality” which is really just trash talking his opponent. He really found his level at WWE.

It’s not that people don’t want to hear “Harris isn’t good enough”, it’s that there’s nothing to what you say so it’s hard to respect/engage such a shallow viewpoint.

I think it’s more ignorance and desperation that drives alot of the swing voters to imagine Trump is a better alternative. Dems have let a lot of people down and allowed this toxic politics thrive by refusing to look at their own failings. Reps are even more culpable with cowards letting the crazies take over the party.

Why though?

If Harris does win in November then there's no rush to get her into the Oval Office. No legislation can go through in the lame duck session since neither party has total control. Trump can do nothing except write angry screeds from Mar-A-Lago on his failing social media site.

If this is something about Jan avoiding another 6th then there are 2 things there:

1. Harris will still need to go through that legislative process in order to be president in Jan 2025 so this idea wouldn't eliminate that process from needing to occur
    2. The Federal government isn't going to be caught napping a second time (especially when Trump isn't President effectively sabotaging their response)

Biden has already had to give up his shot at going for a second term.

Let him go out some bit of dignity.

Indeed, What's to be gained from it but knifing biden in the back when he already has reason to feel he's already been knifed in the back?

you seem to be missing my point. It’s not the law that’s the problem, it’s fog of confusion from the GOP I worry about.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What on earth would be the point of Biden stepping down and what possible benefit would it bring? "Installing" Harris as President before the election when there are already people moaning about her not having to go through the Primaries would have utterly spectacularly poor optics and doing so after the election would be completely pointless.

None tgat I can see, I actually think it would be a disadvantage

Slava Ukrainii

Only for the lulz imo. Pardon Hunter, Pardon this that and the other, etc. It'd be a Really Bad Idea to do it, optics and instability.

There's an argument about the upcoming debate rules in relation to whether mics should be muted when it's the other person's time to speak. Trump's team want them muted!

• Advertisement

LOL, that is straight from Primary School taunting. Reverse psychology at its best.

I can picture Trump at his desk.

"BUT they KNOW I don't NEED a mute button to beat HER, right? Unless they think SHE needs a mute button to beat ME? So I know that they know that I know that she needs that mute button to beat me. Unless that was their plan all along…"

A big reason I hope Harris wins is that we can get grown ups back into politics and make politics boring again.

I have some bad news for you. Trump is the symptom, not the cause.

Even if Harris wins it'll be the same nonsense from the Republicans. It's going to be the same bad faith nonsense about whatever the latest culture war is. The root cause is a media environment that peddles in divisive bullsh1t that is turbo charged by social media.

I can see them getting tired of that schtick if they keep losing, which they will.

Due to the USA's farcical voting system most Republicans in the House and Senate do not have competitive general elections to worry about. Instead their main worry is losing a primary. In almost all cases, when they do lose a primary, it's to a challenger who is even more right-wing than they are. As such the incentive structures are set up so that the average Republican becomes more extreme rather than more moderate.

The more moderate Republicans are in swing districts and swing states but they are in the minority within their own party.

The only way for all this to change is for Republican primary voters to favour more moderate candidates. However they typically vote for whoever throws them the most red meat because their brains have been pickled by following the likes of catturd on twitter and getting their news from the Daily Wire and Breitbart.

I can see a lot more moderate republicans throwing out the, "The Democrats are right. We are losing elections because we are voting for weird people. We need to stop voting for weird people. (And then go into how their opponent is weird and peculiar)."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Trump is a symptom but also a fairly unique one. I suspect the post Trump era will be, at least for one cycle, akin to the Republican primary this year. A complete mess that ultimately means nothing. People trying to be the next Trump, people trying to push back against what he is, none of whom have the personal connection.

• Advertisement

A combined 200 former staffers of George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Mitt Romney and John McCain have penned an open letter saying that "another Trump administration would endanger American democracy".

In contrast former Democrat and current Fox News contributor, Tulsi Gabbard has given her support to Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Kennedy was on Fox the other night saying that Trump would be announcing "more Democrats that would be endorsing him".

Other than Gabbard who else is there?

I guess there might be a few small town mayors and Sheriffs or something that were elected as Democrats that might announce , but can't think of any meaningful current or former members of Congress etc. that might declare for Trump.

Gabbard has been in the bag for the GOP for over 4 years at this stage , so it's hardly a coup.

Remember when Trump announced he'd build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it?

Or that time he announced "Infrastructure week"?

Or that time he said he'd appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton?

Trump says many, many things. Most of which are completely untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭blackwhite

From supporting Sanders in 2016 to Trump in 2024 is quite the swing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seems the Trump team getting a lot of negative feedback on the Arlington ceremony event.

Have basically turned the visit into a campaign video, which perhaps violates some federal regs, and which is getting a lot of people angry (you really don't want to get involved in disrespecting the war-dead in the US)

They seem to be really struggling with a reset since the Biden drop-out

• Advertisement
Advertisement