Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building costs. Jan 2023

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

We are actively looking at getting quotes now.

I sent our architect plans to a company and they asked for €800 + VAT for a basic quote using our architect plans or €6,000 + VAT for an in depth quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would be looking for another company or builder to get a quote

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Now looking like 2026 before we start anything.

typo

did you get any ballpark figures, will hopefully start enquires later this year myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

Are material prices coming down, holding or increasing? Shortage of trades seems to be a big problem too and the trades that are there are naming their price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭crinkley

for me insulation and concrete have all gone up in the last couple of months

First st quote back was €85,000 - €90,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭obi604

I am the original poster from Jan 2023 😬

Over 1.5 years have passed since I posted

High level, right now versus then : I guess costs have continued to go up?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes! Material prices have stabilsed, to some extent, but labour costs continuing to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭obi604

For this, my original post from a few months ago.

We are in a bungalow and looking to do a job in our attic in West Dublin.

Job will be Remove roof, new stairs, add two dormers, increase overall height by about 2ft and put two new bedrooms, a new bathroom and a small office up there.

The space is 35sqm. All planing has been approved.

Pre Covid our quotes were:

Builder 1 €87k

Builder 2 €98k

Builder 3 €133k

Builder 4 €154k

Going to start trying to get new quotes in the next few months and I don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is the range in the quote due to something being excluded or is it an estimate rather than quote?

No, all builders visited the house and all builders quoted for the same job.

The €154k quote included mood boards and vision boards and 3D Renders with AI and physical models and all sorts of madness.

In hindsight the two quotes sub 100k were good prices. Problem now is will these lads quote again. In theory it's not a extremely difficult job and could be completed in 100 days if everything went to plan. You are probably looking at a minimum costbof 300/sqft or 110-115k.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DrPsychia

Just because the tender is cheap, doesn't mean the quality of work will be good, although the same can also be said for the most expensive.

You have to question, how can Builder A undercut all the other builders by such a considerable margin. What corners will they cut? Ask for a breakdown of estimated costs. Consult a Quantity Surveyor to get a reasonable idea.

Buying cheap often leads to buying twice, this translates to everything from tools to building works, based on my experience. I think it would be worth hiring a building engineer to periodically inspect the work at different stages to ensure work is done properly, regardless of who you hire.

I worked with a guy that built a new house in Wicklow a few years ago, he went with a cheap quote from a family run business. He had nothing but problems. His house is draughty, airtightness is a problem, UFH causing lots of bother. There are lots of small but super important details to building a modern, warm home/extension. Get those details wrong and you'll have problems. Some builders/tradesmen, even those with lots of experience, are quite dismissive of current best practices for insulation/ventilation/airtightness. There are some fantastic tradesmen who are very knowledgeable and love to discuss detail, but they are usually expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some builders/tradesmen, even those with lots of experience, are quite dismissive of current best practices for insulation/ventilation/airtightness.

Agreed!

I would not agrèe. There is a lot of price gouging going on. Lads pricing to see what the market will bear. My son is build a house at present. Prices can vary by 20-30% and this is only at the trade stage. Price has f@@kall to do with quality IMO. A lad that is going to gouge you is going to gouge you any way he can.

Yes there can be a problem with adherence to airtightness requirements however some of the building regs are crazy and along with certification are adding crazy costs to building. Without compromising quality you could shave 25-30% off a house costs by not needing a mortgage and that is not paying cash

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DrPsychia

I am not very experienced in this field, can you please elaborate on how you think some regs are crazy? We didn't have enough regs during the Celtic tiger and it caused a lot of problems as we all know.

When you say that you can save up to 30%, do you mean by pricing around?

I'm just sharing my experience. I got cheap work done before for a few jobs, promised high quality workmanship(had to be redone), the difference in workmanship and attention to detail was very noticeable compared to the more expensive options. I'm not saying this applies across the board to all trades, and I absolutely agree that some lads will gouge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭scwazrh

We had plenty of regs during the Celtic tiger , they were just ignored with no oversight and self certification in place .And it’s not hugely different now.Despite the extra regs if they are ignored there will be little to no accountability for mistakes on site.

It’s more the application and paperwork of regulations that I see as the issue .I don’t think anyone is against improving the quality of buildings but there are elements of regulations adherence that are getting excessive.

Example I came across this week in Kildare - Small Porch extension 4sqm to front of a 1970s house , build cost of €18k Planning application €3k , BCMS opt and final certification by engineer €2k , Draft DEAP report now required with all commencement notices €500 .So 35% additional above build cost for what has no value to the homeowner and for a project that regardless of how it is built will have no negative impact on the current property.

Radon barriers have to be installed by a certified fitter. However you have to do all the work fit the piping, vents and radon traps. Skim the complete area with sand. You lay out blocks for to hold down the membrane. The certified fitter then arrives lay out the membrane tapes around the any pipes coming above ground ( toilets ducts into plant room etc) if you have above approx 5 they charge extra ( ie if you wanted to have your sink and shower waste pipes down below subfloor).

The total materials cost about 450 euro for my sons house, the fitting company charge 1200+vat forthe installation. That was the cheapest price next cheapest was 1800+vat.

The Installation crew of two lads took 45 minutes to do the job. The crews are notorious for trying to find an issue so they can charge for a call back.

It's a job any body could do and your engineer should certify

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mickie smyth

Just curious about your original post, you said that extra costs don't apply when a mortgage isn't needed, but as far as I can see, all these additions are needed regardless of financing source. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It would be helpful if you quoted the post you are referring to or at least say who you are addressing.

Advertisement