Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

⬇️

This is why I think we should revert to the bottom 4 teams being in the relegation semifinals and if the win their safe for next year but they shouldn't be allowed back into the championship.

I thought the old system brought more cut and raised the stakes and importance of the league stage games. When you see Ballyhale regularly not arsed about the league and still going on to win the championship it makes a mockery of the league stage. It's not Ballyhales fault by the way fair dues to them for being able to do it. What I always felt was great about the Kilkenny Championship structure was there was real jeopardy in the league phase to get a good draw for the championship section. Ballyhale have shown this doesn't exist anymore and the 5 league games are essentially just warm up games now. Used to try and get your game plans and team selections right with little or no pressure because you can finish in 6 place and still be in with the chance of winning the county final if you go undefeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 upnorth

I’d regard Tullaroan as difficult an opponent as any of the 3 they’ve played

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Takeyourpoints

I can definitely see the point being made about the lack of jeopardy in the league but I feel like it only applies to Ballyhale. I can't see any other team taking that risk. Once you're in knockout, anything can happen, no matter how good you are. I'm betting that Glenmore and the village will be feeling jeopardy, especially if Ballyhale finish 5th in their group. One bad relegation semi and suddenly you're dragged into a relegation final in October where the weather can be unpredictable and a team like Comer or Fenians who both seem to have nine lives can turn it into a dogfight.

Personally, I've always liked that a team can turn their season around with a relegation semi final win and go on a run to a final, but maybe I like fairytales too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Marrooned

ye Tullaroan won’t be a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Looked like a bad injury in fairness, wishing him all the best.

With Joey back and the shamrocks looking like they're trying to get everyone on the field for knockout, I don't think they'll be stopped come the business end.

Relegation between JS,Comer and Glenmore, with Js unfortunately slight favs at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Neewollah

my point was based off last years form. Tullaroan obviously had a poor year by their standards. Back to their best at the moment. If they lose to thomastown though Village could drag them back into relegation mix if they beat them

All Tullaroan need is a point from their last 3 games to make them safe from relegation in reality. I don't see them dropping off massively they have been very strong so far. Given the two form lines I would expect them to give the Village a really hard day at the office next Saturday. So regardless of the result against Thomastown (which could go either way, should be the game of the weekend) they will be facing a weakened Village team, particularly if Brassill's injury is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hurlarious

comer were absolutely destroyed by OLG today in Freshford, 9 wides for them and put up a huge score but comer were missing key men and you still couldn’t write them off to stay up in a relegation battle. OLG in second gear at best today but are the outstanding team to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Rebelside

Tipp had a very good team in the Arrabawn tournament, beat our lads handy enough in the semi and gave Kilkenny a clipping in the final

• Advertisement

two KK boys sent off in the U15 final, the ref was supposed to be shocking.

Only one sent off…a bad foul now. A mentor was booked. I thought the ref was good - a brother of Thomas Walsh maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Village87

Congrats to Kilkenny on the Tony Forristal win. I see Cork and Tipperary sent in divisional teams. How many teams did Galway send

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

if you were paying attention you would have seen my earlier post to Rebelside. Thank you very much for interfering.

I must also congratulate the academies on a good day out we didn’t win too many Tony Forristals.and it was good to get to the finals on the other comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Kilkenny had two teams in the Tony forristal I think. Only county with 2 teams.

Team 1 beat Tipp 1-12 to 0-2 in QF

Team 2 lost to Laois 2-08 to 0-7

Team 1 bt Waterford 4-08 to 1-05 in S/F

Team 1 bt Wexford 2-09 to 3-04 in final

Team 2 lost to Cork 1-17 to 3-09 in shield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Waterford beat Dublin 13 points to 1-09 in the Sonny Walsh cup final.

Rebelside. The ref was a Tipp man Kevin Jordan from Thurles, which is fine seen as it’s a Tipp run competition.

I watched the Shamrocks v Clara game yesterday. Why is Paul Cody not on the Kilkenny panel, did he go himself or was he pushed ? He is a lot better than a lot of players on the panel at the minute and some starters. He is the type of player we need. Richie Reid exposed again yesterday for lack of presence, physicality and pace. He has to be moved on i'm afriad, we cannot get away carrying him for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jamesbond2022

We need a stopper at centre back for kk someone with physicality like d Blanchfield r Richie gets turned inside out to many times because he won’t make contact with the player taking him on

Did Tj play yesterday ? How did j Holden go ?

Off to Graigh. now it’s hard to know what to expect.

Decent Glenmore team on the programme. Interesting match that one

• Advertisement

No sign of TJ, Joey was poor, touch off and caught for pace, he will come on for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I've said it a few times, I would love to see Mikey Carey at centre back, has all the tools.

He’s physical and has pace but I’d say he feels more comfortable on the wing

yeah he was down to ref it…it was people at the match who said otherwise. I thought he did fine, acted on the dismissal himself. The game was physical enough at times but never spilled over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

He actually feels more comfortable in the centre

• Advertisement

A draw in Graigh. Could of been better could have been worse, ref was poor, Billy Reid very good for the glen, Joe Sheehan for the Boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

Impressive win by Thomastown over Tullaroan. Diarmuid Galway very accurate on puckouts and good movement among their forwards. Tullaroan were chasing shadows for most of the afternoon and 12 wides didn't help them. Thomastown almost certain to finish in the top 2 and won't fear anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bamayang

great win for Three castles. Junior c last year, won junior b this year, and against there closest neighbours.
    Hope they can go on and get into Junior proper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Felt like Thomastowns workrate forced plenty of those wides for Tullaroan. Impressive without Tucker Hanrahan and Stephen Donnelly who had been scoring plenty in previous games.

Loved Paul Cody's style for Clara yesterday he runs straight at the black spot and keeps his man so honest. Definitely worth his place on the Kilkenny panel, Luke Connellan similar type player from Thomastown.

Glenmore were total different team today, the work rate and tackling was off the charts. The new guys made a difference but the Murphys, Ger Aylward and Ian Byrne drove it on. Feels like the Boro are trying to play the perfect game but I think they are really thinking championship this year but ut is hard to just turn it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Who are the new guys and what club did they come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kentu

I see the Junior C final went to Penalties, surely a replay should have happened for this, Junior Section B championship probably starting soon I know but it's so wrong for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Some reading here. Basically tried to transfer in waterford and weren't let. Harney will be a fair addition to them

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41443723.html

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Yeah the two in that article harney and kirwan, one was half back and the other full forward. Both were solid and added something for glenmore

19 clubs represented on the Tony Forrestal A team Now your talking

a 15 year old young lad sent off five minutes into the game. Ah come on?

• Advertisement

it’s up on YouTube now. Take a look at it on your PC. Its not pleasant viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Was a dirty stamp, could have done real damage if any lower. Young lad will learn from it you would hope.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Special Junior

Agree that finals should go to a replay of level after extra time. The junior section B quarter finals are on in three weeks time. D, E and F finals are on next weekend, could have made a double header both days with a replay. Danesfort could have some cross over with their first team so maybe a replay wouldn’t have suited them.

They will have to call thereselves Threecastles borro stick a bit of maroon on there jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think Paul Cody is still on the extended panel, was there with the other extended panel players the day of the Leinster final anyway. He had a good Walsh cup the last 2 years surprised he wasn't given any league time after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hurlingtothebone

What's the difference between that and a 16yr old from Tipperary sent off less than 10 minutes in the minor all ireland or should there be separate rules for KK players?

no difference I didn’t agree with those sending offs either.I heard it first hand from a man that was at the match I was just hearing different things. I’ll watch it on the internet tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

OLG and Thomastown look the pick in Senior so far.

Shamrocks havent a hope unless they get almost everyone back, their back up players just arent up to serious senior club standard.

Tullogher look like they can go straight up, very strong all over the field.

Of all the pressures Cody has faced in his great intercounty management career, a relegation play off to keep the Village senior after almost 70 years, will be immense. And every chance he may have to face such a match.

Some very good hurling but a lot of it is leaving me cold. Quick puck out to wing back and he lets flies from 100 yards. The Bridge v Village match must have had at least 20 scoring attempts from beyond 100 yards. Cleere was going back in 2nd half taking frees from inside his own 45. Zzzzzzz!

Then during ad break on Clubber, Torpey are advertising a bamboo hurley. The ball going another 10% longer is about the last thing the game needs and i'd say we are only a year or two away from points from puck outs

Yeah the quick puck has completely revolutionised the game. A team is completely disorganised after an attack and if it especially goes wide they can be left vulnerable for a puck out. Taking a bit of contact away but when September comes around and the ground softens it will become more like championship hurling.

• Advertisement

Would agree regards olg and thomastown I thought thomastown made tullaroan look very average yesterday

Puckouts are travelling further than the opposite 21 with a bit of a breeze now last year I can’t remember in what match but a keeper took a hand pass from a player in the fullback line and he launched it the ball bounced on the opposite 21 and ended up over the bar 🤣

Advertisement