Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I didn't even know there was a new standard of moderation on swear words until I accidentally came across this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I certainly don't recall any overwhelming vote of any sort, or any vote at all for that matter. What's this all about?

What gets posters riled is inconsistent and biased (BBOC uses the term discretion) moderation.

Debating any issue will inevitably result in a certain level of dispute (bickering if you wont) and that is surely fine, discussing points, learning a bit, changing views.

What is proposed above is more 'choose you own expletive' moderation, not less moderation as the site needs.

We have too much over moderation and I've instanced it above. We have posters engaging civilly and being warned and banned because moderators accuse them of being off topic, in their opinion (ie discretion or bias). We have long lists containing many ordinary decent posters thread banned off threads, total opposite of the basic concept of boards. This type of moderation is a failure.

We have a voluntary moderation group that seem to find it impossible to simply say they made a mistake, apologise etc. Instead they circle the wagons, palm posters off with excuses and dig ever deeper holes.

I and I'm sure the vast majority appreciate the work that moderators put in but that doesn't justify incompetence, bias and abuse of those positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

One poster did suggest that swearing should be moderated but I don't recall it getting much traction.

I can't remember who it was and there's no way to search for it apart from the reading the thread from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Saying another poster who is not even posting here is lying on a thread somewhere is so unfair , those that do this sort of thing are exactly the posters that should be sanctioned I think .

It's not be very fair to be saying that about a poster here on this thread especially when they are not here to defend themselves

Notice these posters using this feedback thread to air grievances about petty squabbles and every warning they get that they think they shouldn't .

There is no hope of improving or suggesting improvements if people that petty are allowed to rail continually on feedback .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

I got thread-banned for calling out that absolute spoofer. You were doing plenty of petty squabbling in this thread yourself after a poster asked you a simple question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Group A/B thing I think also does a disservice to who are not in A or B, or who don't feel they neatly fit. It bothers me how binary the world feels at times. It's not new, it goes back a while, but I think the web has heightened a sense of bitterness that's quite normal in public discourse. Coupled with media coverage where being first can go ahead of accuracy, if it bleeds, it leads and all that. The other thing the binary view does, imo, is create a sense of hassle. Hassle that you'll be seen to or that you must support A or B. We can all take a certain amount of non-personalised flack against our arguments, I think. It's when it becomes exhausting or tiresome to think about participating that gets frustrating. Or, do we even say, yes, I'll concede that or you've changed my mind, thanks?

I found it interesting that the ignore feature came up earlier. I never made use of this on the current or old version of boards. It didn't appeal to me. No such thing exists if you're driving, all you can do is reduce risk and not get sucked into other people's drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I have a right to answer and defend against accusations which were incorrect . Those questions were at least made straight to my face . Big difference saying someone outside of here on another thread is" a liar . "

If you got threadbanned for" calling someone out "you must have said something pretty objectionable . But its someone else's fault , is it , JohnJo ?

You have come on here to air your own petty grievance ...perfectly illustrating my point .

I think you are correct - peoples views on most matters are not black & white. They are not binary or in group A or B exclusively. Based on their life experiences they have one opinion on one matter that might be considered very liberal but conservative on other issues.

And therein lies an issue with both how posters interact but also how moderators take a view of posters. I can only properly speak for myself but it's clear to me that several moderators have formed an opinion of me and slotted Furze into one category. They have jumped to conclusions and failed to correct their prejudices. But I also have a good idea from others that they experience the same type of categorisation.

What will or can be done about it? So that posters who contribute from all sides of an issue can do so without looking over their shoulders continuously. Who mods the mods in any effective way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Post away within the rules. How hard is that? Someone with 11k posts should know that by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is that not a touch patronising?

I and I believe others do post within the 'rules' as they are understood and we don't need to rehash them.

Problems arise in the interpretation, implementation of these 'rules' and justification for actions based on these 'rules' by those moderating threads. This has been said again & again by many different posters. Is that not well understood at this stage? What prevails currently is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

But its being said by 2 different groups of people.

On one side there are those who, generally speaking, are able to comment and stay within the lines but who are annoyed by the apparent inconsistent moderation and on the other side there are those are struggle to stay within the lines and are also annoyed by the apparent inconsistent moderation.

Even if the moderation is as inconsistent as people claim, and I'm not sure it is, its still pretty easy to not get sanctioned.

It's true for sure that some are able to post away and stay within 'the lines'. Isn't that the whole point, because..

It's also not possible for others to post moderate opinions and stay within 'the lines'.

Why? Moderator bias and thread shaping. What's sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander.

Look at any half controversial threads on CA / Politics etc. There are people posting away in a manner that has resulted in many others being warned and banned.

For example, I glanced at the Enoch Burke thread earlier - the same group posting sexual innuendo and slurs at the objects of their derision. Going on many months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's editorialising.

If there was just an admission of this people could adjust to avoid trouble. Instead we're laboring under the misconception that this is an unbiased platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your characterization of the site is far from generally accepted as true.

Re the Burke thread, it's been made clear that most CA threads are not moderated in a conventional fashion; reports are relied upon. I haven't glanced at the Burke thread in months, but if someone thinks there are some objectionable posts on there, then the simplest thing to do is "hold your nose" and report them, even if someone might personally be against the idea of reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I don't ever see a need for bad language [aka fancy French] but bad tempered posters are a serious turn off. A lot of that kind of thing on the sports threads. Some folks just need to take a kitkat and stop of the Internet for a day or three.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Except you deciding your/an opinion is "moderate" doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I guess part of the issue is that there is a number of controversial, or contentious, threads but the same “cadre” of posters populate the side of contention.

A thread on trans or immigration “issues” will have the same posters taking the anti trans or anti immigrant side but various, different, users on the, more, compassionate side. This goes for a host of other threads too.

This, then, leads to the same posters getting “sanctioned”, or threadbanned, on these threads so the posters on that side of the “argument” feel unfairly treated, as the same names pop up constantly. Whereas, the users, on the other side, getting similar treatment across the forum aren’t noticed as much.

Now, it should be pointed out that a large element of posters can post their opinions without attracting mod/admin attention and stay within the rules. Or they get a warning, learn from it, and move on. Other users seem unable to keep their “cool” and continue to ignore the rules then feel attacked when those same rules are applied.

Then they blame the mods.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

It just circles back to posters wanting to be allowed to post what they want with no consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can I ask a genuine question?

Why if you think the site is biased and editorialized and I think you mentioned having 100+ others users on ignore why continue to use the platform?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭archfi

A thread on trans or immigration “issues” will have the same posters taking the anti trans or anti immigrant side but various, different, users on the, more, compassionate side. This goes for a host of other threads too.

Whereas, this is a big part of the problem on boards - ANY questioning or debate on both of the above issues result in blanket false assertions where posters who raise any logical question on these matters are branded 'anti'.

Which IMO, is the getout clause from discussion for a lot of posters on the 'compassionate' side, as you put it.

For instance, 'anti-immigrant' and 'anti-trans' are awful phrases when applied with a wave of the hand to posters who are actually anti-illegal migration and anti-gender ideology - it's only a few extra letters which shouldn't be too hard to type for actual compassionate and hopefully, logical posters in most scenarios. You'd think.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

°°°°°

I'm using the ignore list because I routinely get abuse from people and when I try to defend myself I get warned and they get away with their abuse. To me that's a double standard and signals a level of editorialising.

By ignoring those people I don't have to find myself getting warned/banned when they badger me. I just ignore the crap and have discussions with reasonable people, which seems to have upset a cohort of people who clearly enjoy the process of being a dick and getting away with it, which really isn't my problem.

°°°°°

"More compassionate" made me laugh. I've seen that "compassion" in action enough times to know what a crock it is to describe it in those terms.

Thanks for the reply. Just a follow up, these posters who abuse you do you not report them instead of responding?

In the second half of your reply you appear to want an echo chamber so back to my original question why bother use the platform?

°°°°°

I do report them, of course.

I don't want an echo chamber , and I've never said anything that would give that impression so I take issue with that statement.

I just don't want to get a permanent site ban for arguing with clowns.

Thanks for the insight and enjoy your weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think with the site being less popular now the 100 posters that you have on ignore would be a fair chunk of the remaining posters. That many posters abusing you does point to a larger problem. You are definitely going to create your own echo chamber if you are ignoring that many regular users.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement