Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The way he's deteriorating he's not going to be in a fit state to run in 4 years. He's already mumbling, slurring and getting people's names wrong. With Biden in the race it wasn't as noticeable since Biden was so much further down that particular path. Now though he's the oldest nominee for President ever and it's showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think they need someone with charm and smarts.

Is it Rubio? Can he attract the MAGA voters that would never publicly say they're racist?

Brian Kemp? He's 60 now. Might have missed the boat to be a two termer.

Vivek is never, ever going to happen.

Youngkin? 57? I dunno, seems a bit weedy.

Nikki Haley? I think any Dem is going to wipe the floor with her spinelessness. She probably had the best chance for 28, but "Reek"ed it.

DeSantis, Scott and Cruz all seem so obsequious to Trump, that they might stand a chance, but they don't strike me as smart or charming, and I can't see them trying to reach the middle ground to win them over.

I think that's it. All the front runners seem incredibly inflexible, like they can't change positions on anything as it shows weakness. In politics, you have to be able to negotiate but not to the extent you give away your principles. I don't think I can see any of the above reaching that bar. Someone like Adam Kinzinger (48) once the curse of MAGA is broken, could be a future President. He has time on his side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How many times has someone who has lost, been picked/allowed by the party to run again? Usually it's you lose, you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Kemp signed in a very hardline abortion ban, it made sense at the time as he needed to keep the God Squad happy but its ruined any chances he has nationally. He's also got a charm which is very Georgian but won't translate outside that state.

Rubio should have been the VP pick this time round, he and Trump have became pally but from all accounts the residency rule of both been from Florida was something they just couldn't overcome which is a shame from their POV because this election would be in Trump's pocket if he had went with him.

Haley may come back, but she could wait it out because at 52 in America time is most certainly on her side which is a crazy thing to type but lol.

RDS had 250 million to play with when he ran for pres and absolutely bombed, donor's wont want to be burned like that again on someone who from all accounts is quite abrasive and has very little charisma.

Vivek fits the mold of the successor to Trump, some wealthy grifter outside politics who can spin a yarn about been a threat to the establishment etc,,,it won't be Vivek though because he is to annoying.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the Dems win in Nov, then Biden can resign ass soon as it is clear she has won, and Harris becomes President, and Trump can do nothing about it. Fait accompli!.

In fact, Biden could resign prior to Nov 5th, and Harris becomes the incumbent which if done soon, would give her an advantage.

• Advertisement

As expected RFK is dropping out and supporting Trump.

He admits that he reached out to Harris as well in order to come to an agreement with her (i.e. tap her up for a job) but she wouldn't talk to him.

I wonder if Trump promised him a job. Good luck making sure he keeps that promise if he has.

That's all very Blackadder.

(Of course if it happened before she gave a press conference, that would be the icing on the cake. Watching all the Republicans heads explode...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm who would be VP in that scenario though. Seems risky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The VP position would remain vacant.

It was left vacant when Johnson became President following the assassination of JFK - until he was elected President in 1964.

It was left vacant following Agnew's resignation, and again when Ford became President following Nixon's resignation.

So not that unusual.

It would be a cunning way to stop Trump becoming the 47th President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

My understanding is he was offered a cabinet position if he withdrew and endorsed comrade Trump which is what he has done. Essentially a bribe which is about right for this whack job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

the Harris/Walz ticket is simply terrible. She’s not presidential material whatsoever. The majority don’t want to hear it here but Trump is going to win in November. People are struggling economically in the USA and here and that is going to be the story of this election tbh

I don't think it does. I think I heard on a podcast that there's a clause for a VP to become president in case they have to and still be able to be elected to two terms. The first "replacement" term doesn't count unless it's over a certain amount of days, iirc.

People are struggling worldwide, it's not just the states.

At least she has a plan to go after corporate greed. The other side's plan is to tax less, which will affect the wealthy more.

That's not the answer. Less tax for the wealthy means more money for them, but less tax to pay state and federal employees.

Less tax to pay for programmes to help the worse off.

Less tax to invest in infrastructure, like roads, public transport, schools etc. and all that infrastructure creates jobs as well.

I think a dignified prosecutor and a social studies teacher are a far more presidential team than a convicted felon that was found liable for sexual assault and a tech bro that has some pretty weird views on the role of women in society

Johnson was re-elected after his part term, and then chose not to run the second time.

Clearly he could have run, but the Vietnam war was the reason he chose not to run.

Having the VP position vacant is not a problem. It just means that the next in line gets the gig.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

terrible idea. Because then her first term is months long instead of 4 years. It’ll be a SCOTUS case to see if she can run for 2 elections

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No it wouldn't be. Johnson was President much longer than Harris would be after suceeding from being VP. There was no mpediment to him running for President in '68. He did not run because of low popularity and health reasons

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Resigning after a victory in November would be absolutely freaking hilarious.

She could pardon Hunter Biden. She could pass the border bill via executive order. So much she could get up to.

Hadn't thought of it, but it's really a brilliant idea. I doubt it happens, too much respect for Joe Biden and I doubt he's going anywhere while he can stand upright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement

I think she’d be legally able to run. It would be incredibly damaging to have have the other side screaming about subverting democracy and taking losing cases to court. It would be a **** show.

This isn’t the 60s, Nixon would be run out of the GOP for being a Rhino.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's not the '80s. Reagan and Bush would be run out of the GQP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the law is clear if a VP suceeds a president in the first half of the term he is status barred form running for two more terms, if he suceeds on the second half he can serve two more terms. SCOTUS has no say in the matter.

Slava Ukrainii

Both Trump and Harris gave 45 min acceptance speech at their parties jamboree.

The only problem was Trump's took him an hour and a half because he kept losing the plot. He cannot keep to the script because keep losing his place on the autocue. A sign of his increasing dementia.

Also, he keeps on losing his audience at his rallies - literally. They leave his poorly attended rallies halfway through, probably through boredom - what on earth is he on about?

Harris just needs to keep on the weird and age pointers. Also, mention the felon, and her experience of prosecuting felons.

What is this thing about Vance and sofas? Is that weird or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dogsdodogsstuff

I’d love to read an actual intelligent defence of Trump and why he is a better candidate then anybody.

There is absolutely nothing in your post to discuss, it’s waffle with nothing of substance. In many ways, it mirrors Trumps strongest “quality” which is really just trash talking his opponent. He really found his level at WWE.

It’s not that people don’t want to hear “Harris isn’t good enough”, it’s that there’s nothing to what you say so it’s hard to respect/engage such a shallow viewpoint.

I think it’s more ignorance and desperation that drives alot of the swing voters to imagine Trump is a better alternative. Dems have let a lot of people down and allowed this toxic politics thrive by refusing to look at their own failings. Reps are even more culpable with cowards letting the crazies take over the party.

Why though?

If Harris does win in November then there's no rush to get her into the Oval Office. No legislation can go through in the lame duck session since neither party has total control. Trump can do nothing except write angry screeds from Mar-A-Lago on his failing social media site.

If this is something about Jan avoiding another 6th then there are 2 things there:

1. Harris will still need to go through that legislative process in order to be president in Jan 2025 so this idea wouldn't eliminate that process from needing to occur
    2. The Federal government isn't going to be caught napping a second time (especially when Trump isn't President effectively sabotaging their response)

Biden has already had to give up his shot at going for a second term.

Let him go out some bit of dignity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Indeed, What's to be gained from it but knifing biden in the back when he already has reason to feel he's already been knifed in the back?

you seem to be missing my point. It’s not the law that’s the problem, it’s fog of confusion from the GOP I worry about.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement