Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV Battery Range

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Id7 pro s. Holding off for a few months will see that fall into your price bracket.

To be honest I think you need to look at cars with more than 80kwh available as it would be a struggle in winter.

The other thing is that while you will save on diesel such large milage will be punishing in depreciation. You might be better off in a big well minded 10 year old diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Fair enough it's your opinion but LFP batteries (BYD Seal) with modern BMS are impacted by these cycles to a miniscule amount. Couple that with built in buffers and in the case of OP, slow home charging, the battery will outlast the car ownership handily.

The amount of scaremongering regarding batteries degrading heavily and catching on fire is a thing of the past. We're not talking about a Nissan Leaf here…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I wasn't doing any scaremongering so please don't try to lump me in with any of that nonsense. Mine is an informed opinion. Whether you agree or not is up to you.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

I admit scaremongering was perhaps too strong a word but you put out the argument that routinely using battery 100% - 10% - 100% would cause issues. That is simply not the case as even worst case scenarios with plenty of fast charging and high mileage (taxi) see relatively low degradation all things considered. As long as you have home charging and the range is sufficient, there's no need to overthink an EV.

I never said it would cause "issues", I said it would be bad for the battery. And it is. It will degrade quicker using it in the extremes like that.

But again the main point that was being made was having to run the car down to 10% or less on the commute was cutting it too fine. It leaves no leeway for emergencies or other such scenarios. (Op does not want to stop to charge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭romperstomper

This test helped me decide to go with PHEV rather than pure battery car as we have relations all along the west coast as it isn't particularly easy to drive to them in a diesel never mind worrying about EV range
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10Ck84QgEI&t=1271s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I've an EQE (600km wltp) and it will do 370km in its sleep with 30% left

250,000km or 10 year warranty on the battery.

buy here :

https://www.msl.ie/en/used-cars?makes%5B0%5D=69&models%5B0%5D=1304&pcp_term=37&locations%5B0%5D=5&locations%5B1%5D=3&locations%5B2%5D=2&locations%5B3%5D=1

charge with night rate and get some solar in, never worry about the price of fuel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shocks.43

Lovely car but the Mercedes is out of budget . Need to stick to 50 k . Thanks again for everyone’s input . Hoping to test drive the Kia and a Tesla in the next week or so, just caught up with extra work this week .

• Advertisement

So assuming it makes the journey from Dublin coast to Ballinaskelligs, we'd need to charge it there before we do anything else. So how long would it take to charge from near empty to full again using mains power from a farmhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Could be up to 60/70 hours on a 3 pin socket like you'd power your kettle with to go from zero to full.

About 12 hours on a proper EV charger

its not near empty its at better than 20%.. so you need to add enough to get home off a 3 pin ? ~ 30 odd hours @2.5kw/hour less if dont need to get to 100% which you didnt use in the first place on the way down

Personally, I'd stop for a coffee and a pee during a 5 hour car journey @ ionity cashel and get more charge than I needed while sipping a beverage

Interestingly I've never had to charge the EQE from a public charger, almost needed to once - going to the giants causeway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Fast chargers in Cahersiveen at the Supervalu. Charge while doing a quick shop. That's what we do on the way down, we don't need a charge but we try to top up whenever available, we're stopped anyway.

☀️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Funny how all EV drivers keep going for those 20 - 30 min breaks as excuse why it's not an issue (even had HR try to pitch the same at work "Oh you can charge up at a location if you can't do it at home while drinking a coffee"); personally I usually need 5 min for a break and without needing to charge I can do it where it suits me, when it suits me, without being location limited in my choices.

Post edited by Nody on

The journey is 2,5 hours each way . Any of the previous posts charging points are not on my journey . It is after a days work , I would prefer not to charge as the chances are you are charging in rubbish winter evenings .I think Its one thing to charge an odd time but I would imagine gets a bit painful a few times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭GPoint

Why do you look at Evs if you have doubts that you will likely have inconvenience on your journeys ? Spending crazy money on a car to then not be able to drive without range anxiety. What if you need to change your route on return journey or make unplanned journey after return. This has been discussed many times but if any doubts don’t buy ev .

i am looking at EVs and asking the question is the car able to make the trip on one charge. I dont have any experience of them . I am only asking here for people who may have the experience and knowledge , Before I change the car maybe it would be financially better to go for an EV if it had the range . The trip is 2 days per week . There is also another car at the house if needed for emergencies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

OP, many EVs will make that trip except for when temperatures drop below 5 degrees and you travel above 100km/h. Typically that's the month of January only, so all other months you won't need to charge mid trip nor slow down.

You can measure efficiency on the drive down and then decide to take it slow then rest of the way and on the way back. If you are below 50% on arrival then you need to stop on the way back somewhere or slow way down. Head winds can hinder range while tail winds can help. Worst case is cold windy and rain.

As others have said depreciation may be a big cost, easily 20% in year one, 10% every year after or worse if a new model comes out etc. That may nullify any fuel savings. Personally I would want 50-100km left on arriving home as a safety margin and for trips in the evenings to the shops or friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Polestar are still showing a couple of Long Range Single motor, current models as still being available -

https://www.polestar.com/ie/preconfigured-cars/polestar-2/

Quite a bit under €50,000. This has a WLTP range of 540km. We had one for a few weeks in December / January (so cold) and it's probably going to do around 360km from a full charge, with mainly motorway usage, when it's not far above freezing outside.

Facelift is due soon which I reckon will go up in price back to where they were before the price reduction to clear existing stock, so these are damn good value at the moment. Nice to drive as well - maybe a bit cramped if you are very tall, but normal sized people are OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭GPoint

OP if you decide to drop the idea of going ev route, BMW 3 series 2 l diesel can do 4.9 l per 100 km on a motorway at 120 km/ h or slightly faster. This is 8 euro per 100 km . I had this car for 3 years and it was very economical and fun to drive and comfortable. Range 1200 km out of tank of diesel.
    Can find used one low mileage example for 20 k and have 30 k in your pocket.

• Advertisement

Personally its a non issue for me in an electric car with greater than 550KM range because I've never had to public charge. With solar it just feels like I've lost a fuel bill.

For the .01% of the drives I make over 5 hours ( none yet ) yes it would be a slight inconvenience to have to plan where to pee / charge, but not that significant that I wouldnt buy electric.

It's a really Interesting point this. When the batteries in the cars improve to a certain point in a country as small as ours, return journeys will be easily made on one charge. Will there turn out to be very little need for public charging points in the future?

Funny how all those ICE drivers need to be able to drive 600 miles without stopping and won't take 20 minutes from a 7 hour return trip to charge a car, so that we and our children can enjoy clean air.🤷

☀️

Im sitting in the VHI swiftcare clinic which I drove to immediately after returning home from work. One of the kids has sprained something or other. While driving the 15m to the clinic I remembered why I was reluctant to go BEV. There is another world where I've done a weeks driving and I'm coming home on low battery intending to charge it tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Except you have to take said break at a charging station instead of at that beautiful lake, or cafe, or playground etc. and hope and pray that the charging stations will be free, work and not be overloaded by other cars charging at the same time when you arrive there. Where us boring ICE drivers can take any road we feel like or detour as needed while EV drivers have to plan to go to specific spots on the way between A & B.

That's of course before we talk about actually wanting to drive a bit longer distance such as visiting Europe on vacation. The latest trip I sized up added an hour of charging time for a 1200km trip; but hey I'm sure stopping for an hour at only charging spots compared to a 5 min fuel stop with an ICE car and then choosing any other stops as and when needed is much more boring or when the "Well buy two cars" argument comes up instead.

No, you must be mistaken, ICE drivers don't stop on their 1200km coast to coast to coast trips. 🤔 Apologies a 5 minute stop for 1200km 🤣.

Post edited by allinthehead on

☀️

On the days we do 1200km, the stops are always food&fuel, whether it was ICE or EV. They're not sighting seeing days.

The idea of doing 1200km in one day in anything except an airplane sounds exhausting

• Advertisement

Tiring in Ireland perhaps, but less so in Europe, that 1200km would be nearly all motorway. Easy to do three 1000km days back to back on the mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

By all means keep driving a diesel if you want to drive 1000km without stopping. Thankfully 99% of people don’t want or need to do that

We do those distances in an EV, used to be a diesel, no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you don't want to charge then don't get an BEV.

You think you're describing a problem. But its not. Just hit a fast charger for a few minutes and you'd have enough to do your trip across to swiftcare and back.

So you're going to stop at lake or a cafe, or playground, on a 1200 km journey that you're driving non stop (with kids small enough to want a playground). Makes sense.

Whats the reason you want to buy an EV instead of diesel. Because you don't seem to have one.

Sorry My reason is as I am doing a lot of mileage a couple of days a week and purchasing a new car am I financially better off going electric this time and asking the question is the Kia EV 6 able to get there and back on its battery range in winter ( as I do not want to stop , commute is long enough ). I now know it is probably not and I would need to stop plus depreciation on an EV would probably nule out any savings made on fuel . ( considering the EV will depreciate more with the higher mileage compared to a diesel) Thanks for all the opinions/ advice folks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

you could buy a car that has already depreciated. Market changed very quickly for EVs in the last year and it will again. Same could happen almost overnight for ice cars too.

As I mentioned already I’d strongly recommend a long range model 3. It will easily do that trip. They also don’t depreciate as much as other brands this year at least.

this is already the case. I live in rural south east and rarely need to use public chargers. Do 30k km a year so not low mileage drivers either

• Advertisement

I dont think I’ve ever had under 15 km or even 30 km range left in my car. And I’ve also done the emergency trip to hospital in last fortnight. They were talking about transferring us to Crumlin and I still would have been happier in the ev. I could have taken the diesel of course but I didn’t. It’s an older car and you’d be worried it could break down.

Not yet. Only certain cars can make a long return journey. My ev6 will not make it to Sligo and back on one charge etc. Which is a typical journey I'm talking about.

Consider if any finance on a new car will be effected by such high mileage. Many have limits and penalties.

If looking which is financially better then a new car is never going to make sense. But that's a different discussion.

A diesel is going to have the longest non stop range. If that's the main objective, and overrules everything else.

In a situation where diesel is more suitable than petrol. An EV is never going to a good call. Unless you are motivated by fuel saving or chasing a specific strategy of buying new, saving on all costs by changing the car when you hit 75% of the mileage or finance limit and taking a hit at that point on depreciation and the cost to change.

Or buy something already heavily depreciated and run it into the ground a the least cost overall.

Because this has nothing to do with the range of the car. But forecasting what an EV is going to worth in 2 or 3 years in the middle of a price war, and in a political environment where the govt is not disincentivising diesel over an EV. Where all that will be in 2-3 yrs is anyone's guess.

The conservative choice is the long range diesel. The EV will be the more enjoyable place to be. So much less work driving an EV. If you're buying new you're already choosing luxury over frugality.

Thanks for that Flinty 997 . Good points there . I have always had diesel cars . Bought 2 year old and sold after 2 years . Costing much the same every 2 years to change . That has changed in the last couple of years with the price of 2 year old cars still very high . I understand no one knows what anything will be worth in 3 years time and also realistic of depreciation of a new car . Just asking for advice/ opinions on an EV if I was to go down that route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

If saving money is your objective, buying a new car of any sort is not the best approach.

You could get ID7 or M3 LR and do that no problem.

But I don't get the sense you want to embrace the rest of it.

• Advertisement

Not sure what that means Flinty , when you say embrace the rest of it .Black box as I said in a previous post there is not a lot of value in a year or 2 year old car especially if you take in 0%Apr on new .

Seems a bit blinkered to rule out a load of financial advantageous options because you won't stop for 5-15 mins on a long journey on a long day.

For example a strong argument could be made for a used EV that will save on fuel and servicing and has already lost the majority of its depreciation. Similar for a used diesel.

Once you go away from that it's not about frugality.

If new then PCP will struggle with the mileage, but will protect from the unknown depreciation risk. Anything you buy will depreciate.

I understand all of that , but its not a case of stopping an odd day ( that would not be a problem )it’s stopping every week after a days work on winter evenings on a 2.5 hour each way to work

Like I said if stopping as little as possible even if its just a max of 4 times in a week of 10+hrs of driving, is more important than everything else, then diesel is your only choice. Anything else is compromised. You'll have to stop more often in a petrol or hybrid than a diesel. Its not even a discussion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement