Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

I want to know where.I can arm wrestle anyone for those bags of cans,haha

The manufacturers of products generate the plastic.Irish consumers cannot dictate the wrapping.Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

But what they do have is not recyclate. As far as we know for the plastics they collect they truck everything to Limerick where it is compressed and baled.

Material is not separated (bottles still contain cap, cap ring and label which are made from different plastics and cant be recycled together) and it is not separated by colour which is also desirable if you want to maximize revenue. Perhaps they are not concerned about is since they do have quite a lot of our money to play with plus aluminum windfall.

Oh but they can. It is actually quite easy. If enough people stop buying stuff in plastic, change will come quite fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Is this the baling factory in Limerick?

https://www.lpp.ie/

At the moment their videos show baling up and loading into lorries. Plenty of verbage about how their bales of plastic are "recycle ready" but no info on where it goes or what happens to it.

They do say they have plans to build a pellet producing plant in future which is encouraging. Ive seen these pellets being used for making fishing nets in my locality. However if that is part of the plan for our deposits why not just come out and say it and give a timeframe?

Something tells me Re-Turn dont want to be accountable on timeframe or how the deposit fund is managed. There'll be plenty at the trough looking for their share first.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Considering the bulk of the population live on the east coast, from an environment point of view, what sense does it make to send the DRS plastic to Limerick to be baled up, and then presumably back to the east coast to go on ferries if its being sent out of the country for recycling?

It's almost like the entire scheme was not fully thought out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apologies, I should have said recyclables.

Thanks for the correction.

The rest of my post stands.

People could stop buying stuff in plastic but it's not easy.

A large part of the supermarket shopping model depends on single use plastic.

It is problematic from an environmental standpoint but delivers advantages in convenience and food hygiene.

• Advertisement

Should be added that it is largely a first world consideration(single use plastics) as most in the 2nd,3rd or get to the 4th world have other problems to worry about and their governments don't care too much about "the on the ground" situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

So yesterday I went to my local Aldi with my bag of cans and despite both machines being operational, it was very difficult to make a return for a completely different reason - wasps all over the place! One of my cans was rejected which the wasps took a liking too and getting it out of the machine was tricky without getting stung. Retailers should really come up with a solution for this (maybe a wasp nest decoy) even if the problem is only seasonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

I would be on the side of feeling that we are lucky to be in a position where there is some management of single use plastics. Poorer countries suffer massive levels of pollution from these. An organisation called the ocean clean up have placed barriers on several rivers around the globe to capture plastics and other rubbish before it reaches the ocean. Their videos on SM or YouTube are eye opening and shocking. It's worth bearing in mind that this is likely how things would look anywhere that waste is not managed.

Of course I would prefer that manufacturers were under a lot more pressure to reduce plastic packaging. In recent years there was a push on this with Easter Eggs for example. It was amazing to see how quickly most companies eliminated the plastic element of their packaging.

I use the Return machine every week or two and put an average of 5-6 items in it before I do the shopping and immediately redeem the voucher. I find it hard to understand why it is a big deal for most people who are fit, able bodied etc.

There is not much of a management of single use plastics. There is company recently set up which is designed in a way it can never fail no matter what they do. Curiously nobody seems to know how they actually "manage" single use plastics since they refuse to say.

To compare us with third world is rather lazy attempt to pretend we are much better in managing the waste. You seems to not to be aware that EU collect only about a third of single use plastic waste and half of that is being exported to said third world countries. Therefore a lot of that pollution you attribute to poor management in third world countries is actually our waste we dumped in their backyard. There is an estimate that that illegal exportation is about the same volume of the legal one if not more.

In other words we are currently "managing" plastic waste in a fashion that:

-2/3 of our plastic waste is ending up in landfill, incinerator and illegal export

-1/6th is being legally exported

-1/6th is recycled and material recovered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Not sure why you seem compelled to describe one of my points as 'lazy' - it's OK for people to have different points of view. I never suggested we are great at waste management here, the link is an example of a waste management problem in a poor nation. There is not one place in Ireland that I am aware of having a waste management issue that even vaguely resembles this. Hence my point.

Also can you advise what happens to the two thirds of single use plastic waste that you claim the EU does not collect, because I don't see this waste anywhere that I go day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

What is this ? Sticker over barcode with symbol on it 😳. Will this work for deposit return ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,050 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once the barcode is on the list for accepted items it will work, regardless of how the sticker came to be on the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

just checked it can be returned.

I take back everything I said to myself when I spotted it 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you read the thread and the previous thread, you'll get an idea pretty quickly why many posters are not very happy with a new system being foisted on them. In summary: increased work, we mostly already pay for and used a perfectly good scheme to do the same thing, increased cost of existing system, difficulties for house bound and incapacitated citizens, no sense of any value except that some people have profited working on the scheme and for manufacturers/ distributors/ maintenance staff of RV machines.

Advertisement