Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Rawr

It fascinates me that MAGAworld suddenly care about the plight of the Palestinians.

Scratch that, no it doesn’t, I’m not in the least impressed by the supporters of Mr. “Finish the Job” (aka finish killing everyone in Gaza), using the plight of the Palestinians as some kind attack on the Harris ticket. If any of you MAGAs actually gave a damn about the people there it would be less incredulous…but we know you don’t really care.

As for Texas. It’s always voted red, but it’s urban populations are turning more blue over time. Trump did not win that state by all that many % last time and I can see that state eventually becoming a battleground state.

The fact that Harris might even have a chance in Texas or Florida also serves to deflect the resources of the GOP ticket. If their most populous “safe state” is no longer safe…they are in critical trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

I know its a lost cause and you have no objectivity but do you not really see the irony of that post? D TRUMP (see what I did there?) is famous for not having policy details, the mythical healthcare plan etc. But of course you don't hold him to the same standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

Really, they would rather vote for a man who stated policy is to speed up the genocide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Without any citations, it's really hard to believe what you're saying given your outlandish unsubstantiated claims previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Advertisement

If trump's team were trying to de-weird themselves, they could've done a lot better than promising a job in his cabinet to the Brainworm/Dead Bear in trunk/antivax candidate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

So,

Have we heard anything about policy from Trump yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭riddles

would the influx of Tech companies post Covid from California do anything to shift that voter make up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭riddles

Is Robert Kennedy jr modelling himself on Conor from Succession?

It's accelerated it, but Austin was always a deep blue city in a red state, look at the SXSW festival has been running for years before covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

He is probably referring to this

https://youtu.be/rZSGspuxuhU?si=0zAMCClbCnFCitR6

I'd prefer if they cite what they're referring to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Nevertheless, what he said about those MI voters is correct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There definitely is a section - size uncertain - of Democrat-leaning voters who are pushing for ‘abandon Harris’ due to her stance on Gaza.

And fair play to them IMO. Keep the pressure up. I don’t for a second buy that Harris should be immune to criticism just because Trump is her opponent. Her stance on Gaza is an amoral, milquetoast disgrace and she should be held to account for facilitating the ongoing massacre.

Without genuine pressure, the Democrats will never change - and they sure do need to change in many respects. The idea they should just be given a free pass every four years because the Republican will always be worse… that’s not something I buy for a second. An actual progressive, more unified alliance could be a formidable asset for Harris - but she threatens to throw away a lot of that goodwill on this one major issue. She could still win, but given the strength of feeling about Gaza in the Democrat base, she needs to be pushed hard to take a harder line.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Dingaan

Garbage poll.

Check out their final prediction for 2020 compared to the actual result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, put pressure on Harris to take a harder line against Israel using your vote as a bargaining chip. OK, so far so good.

She refuses to accept the demand. OK, then you don't vote for her. Fair enough.

But the needle scratch moment is that all that ends up happening from that is that you just have more chance of ending up with a guy who is considerably more pro-Israel/anti-Palestine, so you basically have more of the thing you didn't want in the first place. A self-own, really.

You're not going to have any great choices in US presidential politics if your main issue is the wellbeing of the Palestinian people, I'm sorry to say. You're more or less going to have shtty and shttier. I would suggest to those people that they can vote or not vote based on domestic concerns, but they will have to use more direct action to influence the course of the war in Gaza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

And these "section" votes for what position on gaza when they vote for trump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I suspect there is a significantly larger portion who support Israel, not wholly, but support nonetheless.

Biden's policy has been support with criticism. Trumps policy is absolute support.

Since it's a two horse race, these "abandon Harris" supporters would be indirectly enabling Trump's policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

When you have a Palestinian saying they would support Trump because at least he is honest about his intentions - there is no real way to work out what Arabs might do in this election.

I state this having talked to my Palestinian refugee neighbour who said those very words.

Unfortunately the Democrats have lost all credibility on this issue. They have sat back and watched the slow burn genocide for decades and applied no serious pressure on Israel - so why do people imagine they are suddenly going to become Palestinian advocates ? They are as captured by American foreign policy as the Republicans and neither have the will or power to change tack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I very much doubt any or many serious leftists would vote for Trump. More likely their vote would go to a third party like Jill Stein.

The only thing Dems really care about is votes. It’s the most powerful leverage activists have at the moment. Why shouldn’t they use it to try to pressure the party?

Constantly insisting ‘vote for us or you’re enabling Trump’ isn’t exactly the most inspiring, sustainable strategy to build a reliable voter base. That’s been the status quo for three election cycles now. When there’s a humanitarian catastrophe unfolding under the Dems’ watch, pushing for change is a moral and worthwhile endeavour using the limited tools available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

The thing is that I'm not sure there are enough voters nationally who want to push back on Israel that you could build a presidency-winning coalition out of them, so even if we say it would be better for the Democrats to take the L in this cycle and rebuild themselves into a party of more moral consistency, I don't think that an adjusted Israel policy would be enough of a vote getter. The youth vote may feel quite strongly on it, but I don't know if America as a nation does.

And while the Democratic party attempted to rebuild, dictator Trump might have four years to help render Palestine a smoking crater and leave nothing of the Palestinians but the fillings in their teeth.

If there is a way to address the suffering of the Palestinian people through American politics, I might suggest that it is through down ballot races because while someone like Harris has to attempt to span the chasm on the Israel/Palestine question, arriving at an answer not particularly satisfying to either side, Senators and Congresspeople do not - their views can be much more reflective of the people in their states/districts, and they can enact or stymie legislation regarding Israel with more impunity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed, Texas is not in play for the Presidential election, but Ted Cruz is definitely under serious pressure.

No one likes him, not even the GOP and his opponent is extremely popular so he could win, which would be fantastic tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

A vote for a third candidate, is still a vote for Trump.

If people want to hurry up the Middle East crisis and eliminate Palestine, vote for Trump or a third party. If you want to delay that, vote Dems.

I agree with your main point about holding the Dems hostage with your vote, however, a presidential race between a man who has gone on record to say Israel needs to hurry up, vs a woman who at least recognises the Palestinian people are in a bad way, AND with the spectre of Project 2025 hanging over this election is not the time to play that card. The time to play that card is in 2026 with the house and senate votes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I do not like that man Ted Cruz,
    I do not like his nasty views

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In fairness, I suspect Kamala Harris is no fan of Israel or Netanyahu and is secretly on the side of Gaza and the Palestinians. To say so in public though would be a catastrophic blunder in the US election context, so she has little choice but to play along with this 'both sides' nonsense. Also, many Democratic politicians probably share her views on Gaza (some of course have come out and openly said it and accused Israel of genocide).

The fact that the Trump heads are calling her a Communist and Marxist would suggest they don't believe for a moment she has any time for Israel - they weren't making these claims about Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,156 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

✌️ ” undecided voter” ✌️

his panel comments were so weird like ‘I’m just not sure if she’s ready yet maybe in four years’ like OK so you’re saying you’re voting for Trump and project 2025.

Advertisement