Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Not by choice. I've had enough of Dispute Resolution threads caused by defending myself from abuse from others who get away with their behaviour.

I can't report posts atm because I'm jailed, I had one user on this thread post twice a couple of days ago baiting and badgering me, I PMd an admin who said that behaviour wasn't acceptable but they weren't going to do anything about it. The second post went over their heads until I PMd them again, no on thread warning was given, seemingly a PM was sent, so all this talk of sanctioning bad behaviour only cuts in one direction it would seem.

Would you be happy about that?

EDIT: Just to clarify my point regarding in thread warnings, a big point was made about editing posts to display warnings last weekend I had a couple of posts edited in that way a day after I posted them as did others. That wasn't the case this time around with the user that was going out of their way to harrass me, I'm sure they may well have been PMd about their second post but not editing their post to inform others that their behaviour isn't acceptable gives the impression that they did nothing wrong.

The fact that they're still on this thread jabbing at me behaving exactly the same way, doesn't speak to them having been severely punished.

Maybe they should stop following me around and get a new hobby.

Post edited by nullzero on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I wouldn't be happy with that scenario, so i guess that is the best approach for you. Your posting style does seem to wind other posters up the wrong way, even in this a feedback thread.

I don't think I could have any meaningful discussions on the site if I ignored that amount of posters.

°°°°°

I have made sure to call out peoples poor behaviour on this thread so it doesn't surprise me that they don't like it.

This site tolerates my presence, but if I act as poorly as the people picking fights with me I'm sanctioned and they're not.

So as you seem to be able to understand, I've chosen to ignore those people and talk to people who can behave like adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

What does "being jailed" mean? I don't know how the warning system works.

°°°°°

Get three warnings and your profile looks like this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Ah, so "discussions" means/includes reporting. Got it, cheers.

°°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,196 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really don't get why another poster's ignore list bothers so many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,186 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don’t understand how people are presuming that other people besides them aren’t being sanctioned. What is this assumption based on?

Mods don’t discuss the sanctions of other users with us, so it cannot be that, on thread warnings are generally not given except for thread bans, and warnings happen a handful if not dozens of times per day based on testimonies of general stats from admins in feedback, yet the DPR forum only shows a fraction of those warnings ever get disputed, which is one of the few ways anyone would ever know someone else would have been sanctioned when they go to publicly appeal the matter. Therefore the reasonable assumption is most users who are warned take it on the chin or resolve their disputes with the mods at the PM level.

I would suggest not basing one’s attitude on boards off “it’s not fair nobody else is being sanctioned” etc vibes because frankly that is factually baseless assertion in the vast majority of cases lacking the necessary standard of evidence. Everyone has to mind their own behavior first and foremost. I don’t find arguments build on unsubstantiated claims that other people one disagrees with are not getting sanctioned etc. to be of inherently null value. Ditto for claims about what posts are/aren’t being reported by who and how many people, something only mods have any visibility to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How do you know they're not? Up until this thread I've seen very few on thread warnings, so posters are warned by PM. Sure you wouldn't know if they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

One month of this thread, hundreds of posts, and no word from the owners/employees... 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm a tad cynical of a claim like this cause it could very well be a paraphrase gone horribly wrong via misinterpretation.

I PMd an admin who said that behaviour wasn't acceptable but they weren't going to do anything about it. The second post went over their heads until I PMd them again, no on thread warning was given, seemingly a PM was sent, so all this talk of sanctioning bad behaviour only cuts in one direction it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You pretty much have summed up well these particular issues. That is how it is in many posters experiences.

As regards spiky comments aimed by others, as someone pointed out above, best skimmed over and ignored. I see posts from some of these but they're generally not worth the time to consider, always the same posters. What shouldn't be tolerated though are spiky comments/ personal attacks from moderators and admins, they are supposed to know better and abide by the rules of the site. Should not be tolerated at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Deregos.

If they would fix the search function so we can find stuff that'd be great. What is it now . . Just 25 results you get from a word search? It's very slow and difficult to locate older posts of interest in this format. Is the ability to search within threads ever coming back or was that never gonna be possible on vanilla?

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Well, the predictable posters need to be commended for being predictable on the German thread. Giddy up, DRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FFs, people ending up in the same thread as you is not them 'following you around'. You're vastly overestimating how much people think about you personally when they drop in to any particular discussion.

You don't own the threads, just because people respond to you is neither them doing so because 'it's you' or doing so to bully you, gang up on you, badger you or have a pile on or any of the other ways you've spent the last cpuple if weeks complaining about people who challenge you.

You said tonight you take issue with the suggestion that you want an echo chamber. You told us during the week you've over 100 site users on your ignore list, and here you are complaining about still being treated unfairly. You may claim to not want an echo chamber, but banning so many people, trying to get mods to list phrases that can't be used, and repeatedly PM'ing mods to act on posters who must be on your ignore list (and yet you still are bothered by your content) is indicating to me you very much want a place where you are never challenged or hear a dissenting opinion. What else would you call that?

And for the record, you're free to do what you want, ignore who you want etc. But this here is a discussion on the site practices and experience and as you are adamant in bring your personal experience and philosophy in to the conversation, it is perfectly appropriate to comment on it.

You told us about your ignore list, you told us about wanting phrases banned, you told us about PM'ing mods. Me commenting with respect to you is BECAUSE you did all those things, not because I've a notification on my phone telling me to go annoy Nullzero.

It doesn't.

What bothers me is a poster trying so hard to influence site policy based explicitly on their opinion and the ignore list indicates someone who feels that most of the site users in certain forums are behaving inappropriately (in their view) and that should change. And all the while saying they don't want an echo chamber.

I'd like to comment on this, it is something that could nearly get its own thread.

Understandably, the vast majority of people would see their version of compassion as being the 'correct' one. Most people are naturally inclined to be compassionate to a certain degree. It is part of the reason why humans evolved as they did. (Not sure if this statement holds true to the same level in anonymous environments such as this)

I don't see myself as the benchmark for compassion or anything like that, I act and feel how I feel without thinking about how it compares to others.

But I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about this topic broadly speaking because of how cliques appear when groups are formed and they start to show group dynamics etc.

And I've specifically thought about it quite a lot in the context of Boards where similar posters on CA topics will often appear on the predictable side of the discussion.

But here's why I feel it is generally not unfair or inaccurate to suggest that a liberal or left leaning mindset is more compassionate. A lot of the 'anti' posters on here always seem to post from 'anti' positions. Muslim, Trans, climate change, equality etc etc, it's always very much resisting what others who see and describe ideas to help some community or body of people who are in some way marginalized.

But I never see posters I broadly view as 'anti' advocating any ideal that would help marginalized groups. They always use their voice to decry other people's compassion instead of advocating for compassion for a defined group themselves. (And I say 'defined because advocating for 'the people' or the 'country' is too ambiguous in my view).

And we've seen this very specifically on here where people who claim to be worried about women's safety on threads about immigrants will be very quick to say 'not all men' when the topic of the general experience of women gets a conversation. Or have a look at the thread for international men's day the last cpuple of years and how little (close to zero) engagement happens while the site is full of people claiming men need support and ideas and to be the point of attention as a counter argument to some other group getting attention.

I would love to see any of the 'anti' contingent start a thread with no other focus but to support or benefit a community directly, without only doing so as a method of targeting or belittling another community or ideal which was seems to have actually been their primary intent.

I'm here ten years at this point, is it unreasonable for me to view one side of the spectrum as having more compassion than the other based on what I've seen here?

TLDR: Show me the compassion that I seem to have missed.

P.S. I'm speaking very loosely here, without individual in mind, but with a truthful assessment of how I have experienced the site so don't come at me asking me to name names or quote posts. It's an interesting topic.

°°°°°

Someone popping into a thread specifically to take a pot shot at me and add nothing else to the discussion is someone going out of their way to antagonise me. I PMd an admin because I cannot report posts currently. I'm not in the habit of doing that as you alluded to incorrectly, they agreed the users behaviour wasn't acceptable but declined to act on it.

I have seen this and other situations as indicating that it's just easier to not engage with certain people on the site because, like an eejit, I'm the one who gets in trouble for defending myself against that type of crap. It's called learning from your mistakes.

I suggested phrases that cause problems in discussions be banned as a similar rule applies in the soccer forum which eliminates petty arguments from occurring, I'm not trying to stop you saying anything with that suggestion I'm merely observing that cutting out certain phrases could potentially improve the CA forum.

Everything in your post, from content to tone is aggressive and fuelled by extreme anger at someone being honest about proposing to not engage in petty arguments going forward.

Why are you so angered by someone proposing to engage in less petty arguments? If you told me you weren't replying to me going forward I wouldn't be concerned one way or another.

As was stated previously, you're not owed a reply, if you want to take issue something I post your opinion on what I've said will stand or fall on its own merit. We don't need to have an endless back and forth about it. Do you really enjoy arguing with strangers online that much?

All that said, as respectfully as possible, your opinion of me, inaccuracies and out for context commentary included, really doesn't interest me, in much the same way as your psuedo intellectual overly simplistic socio political commentary doesn't interest me.

You and I interacting isn't something that adds to the quality of the site so let's minimise it as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,650 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Everything in your post, from content to tone is aggressive and fuelled by extreme anger."

Never mind "everything in the post" - there was nothing in that post that matches that description.

Nothing.

Between those two posts the anger is coming entirely from you.

As well as a needless dig at the other poster too: "your psuedo intellectual overly simplistic socio political commentary." which served no purpose other than as an expression of "anger".

That's a textbook example of "projection".

And therefore, the claims that you make in your posts about what happened on threads to lead to you putting 100 posters on ignore have no wider credibility, given the twisting going on in this one post so that you can paint yourself as a victim to justify to yourself the baseless attacks on @Tell me how

The purpose of this post, is to challenge the false claims made by someone trying to influence site policy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

This is just more boards tribalism.

If you can't see any aggression in the post I quoted you must be actively attempting to not see it.

Bear in mind that the poster chose to take me to task for the crime of being honest. I didn't seek them out.

I'm in no way attempting to influence site policy. If you had been paying attention you would understand that my putting people on ignore is my last attempt at being able to use the site without being constantly on the receiving end of warnings and bans for defending myself against abuse from people like you.

In a sense, you should be happy , you've won. You can behave any way you like, misrepresent people, be abusive, drag threads off topic and all I have the power to do is not respond because there is absolutely zero chance of you being punished. This isn't a persecution complex, it's observations I've made over years of using the site. But by all means tell me I'm being unreasonable. Call out your friends to continue to pile onto me because I have some people on ignore. How dare I not play along.

If you're not trying to influence site policy and people using the site, then what are you doing here?

And remember, you are the one who brought your ignore list up for discussion on a thread about site policy and use, now you are crying foul because posters discuss the implications of such conduct.

"If you can't see any aggression in the post I quoted you must be actively attempting to not see it."

And there you go, zero attempt to actually justify the claims made in your previous post, just implying bad faith motives on the part of the someone challenging them.

You projected extreme anger onto a post expressing none. No wonder you think 100 posters are out to abuse you.

"it's observations I've made over years of using the site… defending myself against abuse from people like you."

You're always abused upon and never dole out abuse yourself… only ever defending yourself?

Well, posters, mods and admins can read what you have written in this short interaction of posts and draw their own conclusions about the reliability of such wider claims.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you imagine yourself the perpetual victim, it's impossible to see victimisation of people unlike yourself. Victim hood is what is driving this thread and what drives a lot of the grievance culture we see repeatedly starting these threads. It goes hand in hand with general lack of awareness of those who are systemically victimised because no one could be a bigger victim than themselves.

It's frankly pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I find it remarkable that some posters can mention cliques, pile ons, ganging up on, bullying etc without challenge, yet others are mocked if they do the same.

I don't agree with any of it, I think if you post on a public forum you should expect engagement. It's just amusing to see the disparity and lack of self-awareness involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's toxic as well. I remember that only a few years ago that when I banned someone, they'd complain I was being too harsh, inconsistent, stifling debate or something else. Now, everything is about alleged bias and I mean everything. It looks like a form of narcissism to me, as if mods and Cmods spend all of their spare time picking at posts with a fine-toothed comb looking for the merest excuse to slap down a card, a threadban or a forum ban.

Speaking solely for myself, I've much better things to do and I'd say the rest of the site's mods are the same. I've goals I want to achieve, hobbies to do, places to go and people to see. Life's too short to spend it taking this place that seriously. Long term, the victim thing can't be good for one's mental health and there's a whole business now on growing that as much as possible via social media and fake news sites like gript.

TLDR: This place just isn't that important. Nobody is trying to censor you. Take a break and relax now and then.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The facilitating of mod criticism, and abuse, through the “Dispute Resolution” forum needs to be stopped.

It’s not accepted in any other part of the site, not sure why it seems to go unpunished in there. Especially when it’s the same old faces, who should know better, who are the ones at it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I did just read one of the OPs there that seems like a thinly veiled vehicle for abusing the mod and I agree if they aren’t going to open the DRP in good faith the thread should just be closed, at minimum until they can be bothered to try again without the digs.

If you are raising a dispute you shouldnt get a free shot to rant at mods and throw out a slur or two along with it.

Mods get it wrong but such an approach should either lead to the rejection of the appeal or possibly even further sanction in egregious cases.

• Advertisement

oh, it generally does. I don’t think we need to quarterback any current DRPs, I’ve seen plenty where once an admin has seen such carryon they’ve upheld the warning and put on a forum or site ban etc. for good measure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement