Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I felt watching the game Onana had a lot of interceptions and got a toe in a lot of the time to win the ball back.

He did well today without being amazing on the ball. He should improve.

Watkins was understandably off the pace and Duran made a big difference, as did Maatsen and Ramsey.

A nice result to start as I think West Ham will have a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It was an excellent time to get them away. They will beat European challengers at home later in the season for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

That was a great win yesterday. Really thought we would have a slow start to the season. I suppose you could say we should have won by more, so were a little off it in that sense.

I like how we started with essentially the same team as last year (aside from Onana), and its on the new signings, and those returning from injury, to play their way into the team. The bench looks so strong. And all 3 players involved in the 3rd goal had come off the bench. And when you think the likes of Barkley and Buendia didnt come off the bench.

I hope that this is the Duran situation resolved. I thought he was brilliant. Straight away he was involved, coming deep and winning balls.

Also thought Digne was really good. Maatsen really will have to play his way into the team.

I thought McGinn was one of the weaker players. Not that he was terrible, just seemed to struggle to have the same impact as others. Maybe being stationed on the left didnt help him.

Anyway, excited for the season. Interesting game next week to see how we match up against the big boys. A point would be great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Felix is off the board so those links can finally go away. Had actually convinced myself Villa would be the perfect environment for him to get back to his best playing in the no.10 hole behind Watkins currently occupied by Rodgers and with a coach in Unai who actually believes in him.

After saturday and perhaps this news (at least this combined with the lack of name strikers linked - We aren't signing Lukaku) I'd say a lot more are hoping that Duran isn't going anywhere. Guy clearly has huge potential and he will probably get a lot more game time but can we keep him happy with Watkins starting when fit.

I'd guess Moreno will be out the door this week. Surprised we aren't seeing more linking Dendoncker with moves away too but I'm still hoping we sign Lutsharel Geertruida. It might be dependant on Carlos leaving and I like most will admit I've not personally seen a lot of him but he has the exact player profile we need.

I know nothing about Geertruida but the weekend confirmed that it’s such a priority position IMO. Another CB body will be required also if Carlos leaves, so I would worry if that move is dependent on Carlos rather than Moreno (who is currently surplus to requirements in the actual numbers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't see how Duran can not be happy with champions league opportunity. We can't burn out watkins tbh so if communication of that reality is done well with unai. He may be able to quieten that unrest.

Sure. But I think Watkins will play far more minutes than Duran would like.

Absolutely is, but I don’t really believe Duran can be as good as Watkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Watkins is the guts of 29, with basically no preseason. Duran will get lots of time this season and he will probably start all domestic cups, probably 1 game out of 3 when we have banks of fixtures including Champions League. Watkins will get the lions share alright but that's to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Duran is a different type of player. He will be a good outlet if Watkins isn't firing and can also play with Watkins.

Moreno going on loan to Forest. Option to buy in the deal as well. He had a super second half of 22/23. The injury really messed him up for last season.

Fulham agree a fee for Anderson from Palace which might mean Carlos isn’t going anywhere. I hope that does not mean no RB from Feyenoord

Never even considered that aspect of it when I saw the fee agreed, ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

When he first came he performed much better than Digne but Digne then improved I think rotating the two of them also worked well but yes Alex wasn’t the same player after his injury. Both are 31 so one needs to go as you would think that Maatsen will be first choice at some stage this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Would ye take Sterling lads? Apparently Chelsea are trying to flog him to ye.

not a hope that’ll happen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd say he wants Champions league football, and Chelsea want him out, so they probably offered him out to those clubs. I'd say Chelsea would prefer Villa as they'd see them as the lesser of evils, but I don't see Villa taking him TBH.

• Advertisement

Emi Martinez just signed a new contract. Woo, no better

Surely Chelsea would see us as a direct rival. We are direct competition for that Champions League spot that they so desperately need. I would be surprised if they were willing to sell to a direct rival.

Having said all that, I have zero interest in signing him. We dont need him. Chalobah is someone that we might interested in I would think, given they desperately need to reduce their squad.

What a joke of a club they are.

They would, but probably the lesser of those rivals as I said.

Looking for logic in how Chelsea transfer players isn't the most logical thing in itself, I mean it seriously looks like they bought Felix just so Atletico could buy Gallagher off them.

Maybe there is an element of because he is our sh!thousery master etc but I love Dibu and I'm not sure if I'd want any keeper in the world over him so it really is great to see him so happy and comitted to Villa.

Meanwhile the next out the door outside of Moreno looks like it could be Illing Jr, with talk of him being loaned out and options for moves to Italy, Spain or France on the table. I guess the play is get him first team football and either he makes the grade or we sell him on for more than he was valued at when we signed him this time next year.

I'm still hoping for a RB but I also think we might be considering being opportunistic in the closing days of the window. Not Sterling but if there is that kind of situation somewhere across Europe I do think we might be in a situation to act. I mean, I do think there would have been money there for Felix but that we would have not paid what Chelsea just paid.

Is it known what Chelsea paid for Felix? And what his wages are?

• Advertisement

It is being reported at around:

£44.5million ($58m) 52m euro

the above is from the NY times.

Sky sports have it at £46.3m which is also similar to what Reuters are reporting $60m/£46m

I don't see many mentions of weekly wages but they gave him a 7 year deal.

7 year deal, the perfect way to keep players motivated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Has anyone seen the Villa kit in a B&M yet? JD in the crescent have about 3 kits, none of which are what I want.

Links to Sterling are doing the rounds. I would be surprised if we go for a player like this. His wages alone would seem problematic. He reportedly on 325,000, and I dont see us paying even half of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/22/aston-villa-approach-chelsea-over-potential-move-for-raheem-sterling?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

£325k per week is crazy, I think most Villa fans were happy we got 20 mill for Carney Chuck but still annoyed and thought he was greedy for leaving but I read he was on £115 k per week at Chelsea which on mature reflection from his point of view leaving was a no brainer.

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

call me a coward but I’d take a point today. They’re going to be riled up for this one.

A draw would be a good result, but have already shown this is a winnable fixture too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah it's crazy. Apparently they do this kind of thing so that the cost can be spread out over longer so that it doesn't fall foul of financial rules.

It makes sense from an accounting consideration, but you really need to be signing some of the most motivated guys around who want to play for the shirt, rather than securing their financial futures (which tends to be a fairly big motivator for many footballers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Agreed. There's probably gonna be a few Winston Bogarde types in years to come doing the legal minimum to fulfill their contracts while not having played for years.

And the usual idiots will blame them rather than Chelsea

To be honest I'd say a lot of fans "would take" a draw. Nobody wants anything but a win but Arsenal are a very dificult team to beat (barely anyone beyond ourselves did so last year) and they will be out for revenge.

We have more favorable fixture after this so getting a result here would set us up nicely going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm officially on holiday til just after this match finishes, then pick up for home flight.

Gotta hope my run goes on

• Advertisement

Really miss Luiz being in the centre to receive the ball from all that little passes around the back - always a feeling that he'll drive forward and have a range of passes to pick out options. Tielemans you feel can do it....but just doesn't as much

Ohhhhhh dear Watkins must still be on holiday too. What a miss

Ollie is embarassed there.. not gonna get many chances like that today

Interesting to see Ned brought on for Cash and not Carlos. Looks like when our first 11 are fit we might not be seeing a whole lot of Konsa at RB this season (Would still like to see a new RB such as the lad from Feyenoord signed).

You can see how much Villa respect (but no fear and will go at them) this Arsenal team and could argue we have set up to play like the away team at home here.

Very happy to see Bailey come through that injury scare as he'd be a big loss as a potential outlet.

The Watkins chance is an abvious sliding doors moment as Arsenal have had most of the ball but most of the time that should be a goal and Villa in front.

Nice to see Rodgers confident enough to make that driving run at Arsenal's defense (more than once tbh). After that moment Villa looked a little bit more comfortable going forward too.

No matter what happens in this game, either team is going to be made to work for a result and I am happy we have a stronger bench to call upon this season. Duran, Ramsey, even Maatsen would have to be hoping to see some game time especially after all 3 combined off the bench for the winner last week.

If Arsenal defenders are as aggressive with Duran, someone's getting sent off. Most likely Duran.

Superb save but how has Watkins not scored yet today

Ah maaaan

McGinn hasn't done badly but that is a positive proactive change bringing on Duran and Ramsey now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

**** Trossard every time.

• Advertisement

Hard to watch given what could / should have been converted earlier

Advertisement