Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't know. I think it was that we conceded a lot less due to the excellence of Saliba who never missed a game. Hope he stays fit this season as well and even if he doesn't we have bought cover. I think you'll find that not many teams won the EPL in the last 20 years with their top goal scorer getting just 16 goals. As you said if Saka got injured we'd struggle. We don't really have cover there if he did. Maybe switch Trossard over there. I really believe that we do need a CF who could get 20 plus goals if we're to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If Nketia leaves we need another striker. I'd genuinely be looking at Toney, in the last year of his contract & might get him for the same fee we sell eddie… that would be an upgrade IMO.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it's a risky strategy not getting a goalscorer, but they are somewhat hard to come by and do they easily fit into the squad/system.

I wouldn't be against Toney either, if he could be got for a reasonable fee, but you'd wonder would Brentford sell too at this point. Okay, they'd get something for him rather than nothing in a year, but his goals might keep them up this year, so it could be worth more to keep him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Brentford wouldn't create as many chances as we would. He'd thrive under the service he'd get. If Brentford don't sell now or in January it would be terrible for them imo.

Three ex-Gunners all start for Fulham tonight @Utd. Leno, Iwobi and Smith Rowe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The problem is though that his xG is a fair bit higher than his goals scored which suggests he's actually fairly wasteful.

New season starts today and I just saw that our first three league games of the season all fall on a Saturday. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Partey, Rice, Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Havertz.

Subs: 

Ramsdale, Timber, Calafiori, Jorginho, Nwaneri, Nelson, Trossard, Jesus, Nketiah.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Best of luck all, lovely day for a season opener

Not sure how grabbing someone by the throat and pinning him to the ground isn't a red

• Advertisement

zinchenko off and timber on

Wolves are picking up momentum now

since timber came on wolves barely saw the ball and Saka got the second

Post edited by OmegaGene on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

How did we play in general? Still on holidays and wasn't able to follow it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Very well first half, dropped off a bit in second you can see the Euros had an affect on some of the lads who got to the latter stages with Rice having to go off with cramp late on. Wolves came into it from about 60-75 mins but when Zinny got subbed for Timber it shut everything down and they didn't get a sniff after that. Second goal was a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Decent win, really needed the second goal. First 3 points in the bag which is the most important thing.

Good opening win and none conceded, but sloppy at times. That will sort itself out with games hopefully.

That Timber fella looks handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Timber looks an upgrade on what we had last season at LB anyway.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Villa(a) Brighton(h) Spurs(a) then City(a).

VS

Ipswich(h) Wham(a) Brentford(h) Arsenal(h).

That's a pretty hard start to the season for us. I won't be surprised if we go to the City game on 8/9pts Vs 12pts.

• Advertisement

Forest are in discussions with Arsenal now over Nketiah.

Yip, we turned down opening offer. Looks like Ramsdale may be heading to Wolves. Not sure they can afford him though

Arsenal have agreed personal terms with 23 year old espanyol keeper Joan Garcia which indicates ramsdale is more likely to leave this window with arsenal looking for a permanent deal over a loan deal

I was about to post that Ramsdale link. Not sure what to make of it being honest. He's not guarenteed first team football as Sa is a very good goalkeeper himself and they'd both be vying for the position. He needs to be playing Ramsdale. He's better off leaving the country to play elsewhere imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I thought Sa was poor against us.

For the Raya save, Raya was going the wrong way, adjusted and made the save.

For the Saka goal, Sa was going the wrong way, couldn't adjust, the save was missed and we scored.

Raya is a much better goalkeeper than Sa based on the evidence, but I also think Ramsdale is a better goalkeeper than Sa.

Unless Ramsdale wants the move I'd be saying no, it seems like they won't even cover all of his wages and aren't on for an obligation to buy. This after pocketing 90+ million for Kilman and Neto this summer… they can get in the bin trying for a cheap deal imo.

• Advertisement

I thought the same. We find it hard to get a decent price for our players for some reason. Do other clubs take us for mugs?

Karl Hein made his debut for Real Valladolid today, keeping a clean sheet in their 1-0 win against Espanyol and making 2 saves.

team of the year from the pfa awards is good reading

Goalkeeper

David Raya (Arsenal)

Defenders

William Saliba (Arsenal)

Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)

Gabriel (Arsenal)

Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders

Rodri (Manchester City)

Declan Rice (Arsenal)

Martin Odegaard (Arsenal)

Forwards

Erling Haaland (Manchester City)

Phil Foden (Manchester City)

Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

• Advertisement

Where does he fit? He's not a goalscorer, so is this to cover Partey's role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

I'd see him eventually starting at LCM with Rice DM.

Probably to cover Partey i'd say. He'd want to be a starter too. Can't have a strong enough squad and with Partey's injury record I can see him as a squad player. Not looking like we'll get a CF in now which could be a mistake depending on injuries but we have to back Arteta's judgement. In the 5 years since he took over the gap between the League winners and Arsenal has closed from season to season starting at 43 points and then 25, 24, 5 and 2 points which is remarkable. I'll admit that I wasn't his biggest fan at the start and questioned some of his decisions but the proof is in the pudding as they say. A good CF could be the last piece in the jigsaw and allow us to win it but we have to believe in the boss now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Did anyone enter the ballot for tickets for the Leicester match? I have silver membership and entered for the first time but have heard nothing either way yet. Just wondering if this is normal.

Edit: They must be reading this:-) Got my ticket

Post edited by mossie on

I just wish this Merino deal gets done asap. It feels it's been really dragging on now. He needs to be training with his new teammates and we've a huge game against Villa on Saturday. It's now Southampton who have been linked with Ramsdale. I hope he gets a move soon, he should have went to Ajax last month when they were interested imo.

Charlie patino has gone to deportivo for £1m with a 50% sell on clause tied into his contract

Think we have first refusal on re-signing him too if an offer is made by another club down the line, similar to Fabregas back in the day.

Vieira off back to Porto. One that did not work out for either of us, it's fair to say.

• Advertisement

I was watching SSN and was just going to post about that Porto loan for Vieira. It will be great for all concerned. It just didn't work out for him. He did improve but he's too lightweight for the Premier League. I remember when he signed for us and was very concerned when he was wearing the cast on his leg. Ominous sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭rodders999

Weak, lightweight and not cut out for the rigours of the league - a disaster signing. Hopefully they make it permanent next summer.

Good news for Nwaneri too as it bumps him up the pecking order too. Wonder how much we will see of him this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Whether that becomes permanent or not I'd imagine he'll never kick a ball for Arsenal again either way. Surprised to read that he's 24, thought he was a lot younger. Terrible signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

€35m, awful purchase.

Vieira is still contracted to Arsenal until the summer of 2027 I just read.

Jesus has a groin injury and didn't travel with the squad for today. It's just been posted in the last half hour.

On the way over the match at the moment. Really need 3 points today if we are to have a serious challenge. With all respect to Villa, it isn't an easy place to go, but we're looking to win the league so maximum return on points is a must

Enjoy the day mate. Hope you have a (good) match to remember!

• Advertisement

Advertisement