Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Plus they signed Neto and immediately gave him #19. If Sterling really had no future why not just give Neto #7 immediately?

Why wait until now to strip Sterling off his number if it was known?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Exclude Sterling earlier? Also lets be perfectly honest here, there is no planet on which Maresca wants Mudryk or Madueke over Sterling. The owners want to bully Sterling out so they can get rid of his contract without having to subsidise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Maresca is presumably "first team coach" - he picks his squad, if the club has a bunch of surplus players that's hardly his problem, someone else is in charge of transfers and contracts. But as others have said, how long will he last and what sort of squad will the next guy want?

Maybe that's the idea, they chop and change the manager so often it's easier to just keep a vast pool of all different types of player so when they change the coach he can pick'n'mix a new squad to suit his style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think they are expecting a transfer ban, so they have a large squad of players they can still sell from, while still having a selection of players/profiles to pick and adjust the squad with next summer.

I would also assume they are trying to have a large number of players they can sell on at a profit over time, to generate PSR space and funds.

Tosin is a great example of this. Sign on a free, if he flops and they sell him for 10m next summer, that is still a massive 10million for them as it is 100% transfer profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes their strategy is innovative from a Finance point of view, aiming to exploit inefficiencies in the current player market.

It has real human consequences, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wouldn’t have Sterling ahead of any of them tbh, on ability and what he can bring to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But Tosin has wage costs in each year he's on the books. I'm not particularly convinced they are some PSR geniuses. They have frontloaded a tonne of spending for the coming seasons. The transfer ban theory makes sense, that and Boehly is massively betting on the transfer market continuing to inflate. Ironically, PSR may be what finally stops that inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Dan Steely

Felix signs a 7 year deal. Did the Premier League and UEFA not put a 5 year limit on contracts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

7 year contracts are allowed, but there is a max limit of 5 years for amortization purposes for PSR/FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was one of Chelsea's best players last season and showed that he still has the pace on many occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Having a good season for Chelsea last season isn't much of a claim in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There are 4 players who are still current players in world football, who have scored over 500 goals, name them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has to be Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez. Haven't a clue about the fourth but maybe Lewandaskawi? Or Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lewandowski surely, top CL scorer outside of Messi and Ronaldo and had a decade of goals in the Bundlesliga.

I'd have thought Benzema was the other.

Yea correct, Lew and Ben

My mistake, it was 5 current players with over 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It is actually, Chelsea were a sh1t show for much of the season, and he kept them afloat for a lot of it. I didn't see much of them late on, he may have tapered off, but could certainly do a job for most sides.

It's the 15million though that will limit his options for a move though.

He scored 8 goals in the Premier League including two in the last three games. That was good enough for third best on the team behind Palmer and Jackson.

Just thinking about the insanity at Chelsea. And I'm not fan of Pochettino, I don't rate him, but getting sacked after winning the last five games of the season is just ludicrous.

I've already said I don't think Maresca will make it in the Premier League. I watched a good bit of Leicester last season and his style of football isn't suited to the Premier league in my opinion. It's just too slow and conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

The Felix deal is shocking. They have so many players there and they are adding a lad who's failed to perform at Atletico, on loan at Barca and was just okay at Chelsea on loan.

On the other side of it I think those advising Felix should have steered well clear of Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That's all well and good on paper or easy to do when you are playing football manager but in the real world it is far less straightforward.

There are players, agents , players family and buying clubs to all sort out in any player sale. Chelsea get a run of players who say "you know what, I'm good here in London on my 7/8 year deal" and the whole thing falls apart.

Chelsea get stuck with players on wages they can't justify on the length of deals that nobody else will entertain.

The books can't balance and the club gets into trouble really quickly.

I don't buy the idea that Chelsea are smarter than every other club out there. I think they are just taking risks that no other club would want to.

You need to get this almost 100% right to make it anywhere near viable. And that's not really realistic imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah, I don't disagree. Just need a few Bogardes to ruin their plans.

But as of now it doesn't seem like they are having trouble Any player they have wanted rid of, they have got out the door. will be interesting to see what happens with Sterling. He apparently is happy to go, but will a club he is happy to go to come in for him? Will chelsea try to stiff him on his wages?

My original point is i can see (kinda) what they are trying to do. I can see a method, even if I don't agree. I can see a world where it comes tumbling down, but I can see a world where a bunch of the young players they have taken a 20m or less punt on, turn out to be stars in a couple of years.

Also, I struggle to have any sympathy for any player that finds themselves in the exiled group. It has been very clear for a while now this is how it was going to end up in the short term, and many a player has decided to take the money and see what happens. If 'what happens' is they are stuck training with the U21 side rather than playing and developing, oh well, your choice. Plenty of clubs would have taken any of these players, with a better plan for their development and important to the first team - they chose to go to Chelsea.

Well it's not fair to blame young players. It's the agents and other people close to them who they trust to give them good advice who are at fault.

I can't see it working out either. Some of these young lads will create havoc over not being in the Premier league squad and any player than does that has to go because it'll bring the whole thing tumbling down if you have a bunch of unhappy players. If one guy starts and gets away with it then you'll have five or six more at it pretty quickly.

I can see them offloading players for free in the next six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They may try to create havoc and be unhappy but if they’re completely isolated from the senior squad it won’t make much of a difference as it’s essentially outside noise and unlikely to have an affect on the group who will be playing.

I'm not talking about the main squad, I'm talking about all those other players who aren't in the squad. There'll be like close to 20 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The coach was clearly told not to pick Sterling. They want him out. And Sterling should hold their feet to the fire and ensure he gets his full salary, either at Chelsea or somewhere else. And if that means that Chelsea have to let him go for next to nothing so entice a buyer, then that’s tough s***.

Just looking at Rashford there. Twice already he's been moaning about his teammates. It's too early in the game to be at that and it's not helping the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another very clear Deliberate handball not punished by a Yellow card.

Welbeck won't get a softer finish all season.

Edit: rashford scores straight away at the other end but he's offside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Talk about a Tap in for your 100th goal.

• Advertisement

That would have been such a strange goal to score, a rebound off your heal like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

would have been an unbelievable fluke!

Rashford is moaning a little, but he’s getting in some great positions. That Ahmad pass was awful and deserved a moan. Unlucky to be slightly offside but I’d say there’s a goal there for him as Utd are probably the better team so far.

Yep, United are playing quite well. They are much better with a false 9 than a real 9 who contributes nothing and nobody passes to him. Need to get goal though obviously

I was just thinking that Amad wasn't up touch and then he does that.

Lovely run and cut back. Keeper may have saved the initial shot looking at the replay but the deflection made a huge difference.

• Advertisement

Both goals against the run of play.
    United gave up control of midfield by taking off Mount. Zirkzee has had some lovely touches so gain something as well as lose something. Would fancy Garnacho to be involved in a winning goal.

Leicester have Harry Winks and Oliver Skipp? Two very ineffective players for Spurs, bad business from Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Can only laugh at that

Rules are rules

Offside is offside but that was a cruel call in fairness.

Bruno off, didn't expect that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Shocking defending. Just pathetic injury time management.

Three players free at the back stick.

Deserved potential winner here for Brighton

Go Brighton!

Two wins on the bounce

That's awful defending, totally free at back post.

Shocking marking at the back post - 2 players completely unmarked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Brighton have won 5 of the last 6 against United. Ever so slightly a bogey team...

It didn't take long for United to register a defeat. The way the league is, that's title challenge over.

Liverpool up next for United. Two defeats on the bounce could be a sacking .

And if they win next week, that's Liverpools challenge over too.......

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

How was there some many free at the back post there? Gary Neville raving about UTDs midfield during the week and they got completely overrun for most of that 2nd half. Casemiro was very very poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement