Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

depends on where they’re from, if it’s somewhere such as Arizona or Texas I’d say they love our climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sure they be delighted. It is not a heatwave, or forest fires smog, or hurricane..

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭BagofWeed

Same here got drenched just north of the city after 6pm on my jog. But by Cork standards this summer hasn't been too bad rain wise. I'll be out again later for my weed walk so hopefully they'll be no more rain tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭alentejo

Technically still summer, but no doubt about it, very autumnal this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

Will they fook,

Both texas and Arizona have crisp winters and pleasant spring/autumns.

Slate grey,low cloud,wind,cold and wet isn't nice for anyone, especially if you just forked out $5k to $10k to come here.

By the way I'm currently in Central Europe on holiday, a few spectacular thunderstorms the last 10 days but generally about 28 to 35.Im only keeping an eye on the weather at home because I was chatting to my auld pair (both in their 80s) and I never heard them as down about the weather.

Horrible, horrible summer.

Let's hope we get a pleasant week or a few days in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭glightning

it’s simply down to persistently strong Atlantic jet steam which is responsible for LP after LP and can easily push any HP ridges quickly off to the east. Same for temporary warmer air advections. They get pushed east into the continent very quickly.

Weather conditions in the US invigorate the jet steam in the North Atlantic, and I can see this continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Heavy rain here in carrick wouldn't be surprised to hear a rumble of thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dairyedge

I’m sure their on their American boards equivalent saying that their away on holidays having a great time but have time to boast about not having to suffer 35 degrees heat and possible hurricanes or historic floods. By the way I’m in Ireland and happy out. If you don’t want to complain about my weather don’t book a return ticket, easy. I say about 80 percent of people are on the weather forum to say they are abroad, or just going or back and shocked it’s bad when just landed, sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Odd take above.

Anyway here in Leitrim after heavy rain last night, it's cool and overcast, 7C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Sorry, this is not the winter general discussion thread. Please post in the appropriate forum. 😂

• Advertisement

Lol. I work for an American company and I've never seen a single one of them who have visited our office be even remotely happy with the weather they've had to endure during their time here. Not one. More like "Is this what you guys deal with all the time?", "Is it REALLY only in the 60's during your summer", "WHAT? You only ever get up to 75 during your summers??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife is from Wuhan originally where it's in the high 30's for about six months of the year, she thinks the climate here is Dublin is amazing. Most Indian's I've talked to in work agree that our summers are far far better than the oppressive heat they suffer from back home. Perspective.

That said, I'd agree that the climate in the west and especially northwest of Ireland is very wet and cloudy in general, no argument there.

In my opinion people living east of a line from Cabinteely in south Dublin to Waterford probably have the "best" summers and climate overall in Ireland, Debatable i'd agree!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭acequion

I actually heard one say once, "Do people seriously live here?" 🤣🤣 Gotta admit that he had a point, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

We have a lot of Indians working for us too and I can tell you that most of them can't wait to make their money and return to their climate. They say it sucks here. But remember, I'm up in Ulster - not down in the SE. And there can be a notable difference between what Belfast gets on an average decent summer's day and what Dublin gets.

But of course, like every other culture you will get variations of opinion. Just like we do here.

I agree that the SE of Ireland probably gets the best climate overall on the island. Certainly the most sunshine hours overall.

As for American tourists, we don't get to hear them complaining because the vast majority of their summer is warm / hot and sunny. They don't depend on good weather conditions on their holiday in the way we do, where it literally makes or breaks a holiday when we go abroad. They also are quite aware of our 'climate' before they come here. In the same way nobody here expects amazing weather if we decide to go to Iceland for a holiday (which I wouldn't).

Yeah,thanks for the advise,I'll think I'll still come back though because I live there etc.

I lived in the Far East for a decade where there were 4 distinct seasons.Lovely very cold but blue skies winters with snow.Stinking hot and often wet summers,pleasant spring and autumn.Id take that anyway over shite grey,low cloud,windy and wet Irish

However,Ireland is a great country in general and theres nowhere else id live at this stage but the weather is sh1te and that's especially apparent after the last two "summers"

Feel free to argue otherwise but ill respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Thpion,

Post edited by squarecircles at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

What's this all got to do with the weather ? Seriously, delete your post

Oh my!!!

Anyway in my little corner of Leitrim the weather is sunny with showers. 12C. Could be better but hey ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

Sounds like you need a good long holiday squarecircles

Not a bad day so far in Dublin, cool and windy of course but plenty of sunshine at least and so far we've dodged the showers

Post edited by Thunder87 at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭compsys

It's dry, sunny and 17º in Dublin. I'm sure the Americans are fine.

No one. And I mean absolutely nobody comes to Ireland for the weather. This notion that we should feel sorry for the tourists, or aghast and embarrassed about the weather for them etc is ridiculous.

Tourists come for the drink, the craic, the castles, and the scenery - the latter of which is actually enhanced by our climate.

Iceland and western Norway have climates as poor as ours. And tourists flock there every year.

No research ever suggests the weather is a reason why tourists choose to come here (or not here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭compsys

I find that hard to believe. It's regularly over 40º in India and many places don't have air conditioning. There's high humidity too. The Indian climate is vastly approaching the limits of what's tolerable for humans and agriculture.

For what it's worth my place of work has people from Romania, Chile and India. While the summer weather can sometimes test them, they say overall they prefer the weather here (there have been huge fires in Chile and an extreme heatwave in Eastern Europe this summer).

I will say I'm in Dublin though where things have definitely been a bit drier, sunnier and milder than elsewhere. I get that it's been a particularly poor summer further West and up North.

(ps Iceland is amazing - obviously not for the weather. But amazing scenery. Couldn't imagine living there though. But amazing to visit at least once.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

is it my imagination but is that Canadian smoke haze back? This morning the sky was a deep blue which you would expect from an Atlantic airflow but it seems to have turned quite hazy in the last hour or so?
    The sky certainly isn’t as ‘milky’ as last week but it’s not the same blue as it was this morning.

I work in the tourist industry and tourists expect poor weather (and are never disappointed). A high percentage also say they couldn't live with the type of weather we are forced to endure.

It does get you down though. The drab greyness of the year can be soul destroying. I'd sell up and move to warmer climes, not exactly sure where? It's all mute of course, herself will not move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

@squarecircles I'd respectfully disagree, yes Ireland isn't perfect but no country is. Climatewise somewhere in the Swiss alps would suit me best, but I'm planning to retire to southern Wicklow/Wexford or Waterford as for me climatically in Ireland that's pretty good too.

Everytime I go abroad I find the people less friendly, or false "have a nice day type friendly" or too bloody strict about the rules. Some things drive me mad about Ireland but I do love the fact that we are a laid back culture, we are friendly and the GAA is great!

When I land in Dublin airport I feel, was a nice holiday but there's no place like home.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Haha! I'll do my best to avoid (western) Norway so.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Pretty cool looking clouds on the way to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭alentejo

Very cool today in Dublin . Wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭boetstark

It's possible to say irish climate is generally crap and this summer is particularly crap without being labelled sad.

Another 2 weeks in France before returning, ouch

Advertisement