Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery Light Came on

• 24-08-2024 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

My battery light came on today and i turned engine off for a few minutes to see if there was a poblem and it might go off it didnt i tried it again still stayed on , power steering got a bit heavy ,so an hour later i checked the battery with a meter on terminals it said it was fine and was charging ok, then when i checked dash board the Battery light was off, should i drive it now or will it happen again ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Probably your alternator failing. Use your voltmeter to check the voltage when the engine is running - it should be at a fairly steady 14.1v, if it varies much then the alternator is on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭faolteam

ill have to check for a voltmeter,

but the battery light going off wouldnt have been a issue with terminals

i just looked at my records and i got an Alternator and belt

in November 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭mk7r

Any car that uses a smart charging system will have the voltage fluctuate between 12 -16v depending on load and battery charge level, the 14v thing was the case in the 90s but many cars have now moved away from that

unfortunately i dont have a voltmmeter and the battery light has gone off am i taking a risk gioing out in it ?

Alternator and Fan was replaced in Nov 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

Probably gone again if cheap parts was used

To be honest even a cheap alternator should last a decade.

The risk you face is been stranded if your battery runs flat. Less of an issue with diesels which can run off their own momentum - but I once had the light go out even though the engine was still running. With the prevelance of everything electric you are unlikely to be so lucky.

Ok guys quick update , yes i went out and the battery light came on after 15 mins , the Alternator and fan was replaced Nov 2022 as far as i know was brand new my mechanic is very paticular about Genuine parts etc, even the Bosch Battery is Dec 23

how long is warranty on an alternator i am a psv driver,?

would it be good to charge the battery up at so i would have enough to get to the mechanic

What your indicator light is most likely reading is a low battery voltage, it might only be a momentary droop but once the ECU sees it then it will log a code and keep it untill it is cleared and the issue is resolved. Without a meter to check the voltage it's all guesswork however.

Have you got a basic code reader to check the error ?

Are there any funny sounds coming from the alternator ? A failed alternator clutch might load the engine down and cause the belt to slip/screech.

• Advertisement

yea i have a basic code reader but nothing showed up, no noise

the battery light did go off but when i drove 2 km it came back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭mk7r

Not an rtx brand anyway, guaranteed premature failure 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It would want to be an old diesel with all mechanical setup to run without power.

Hi Shoog, No codes from Reader, And yes i did hear a Clanky sound near the Alternator without sounding to Alarming

Yes sounds bad like the alternator clutch has failed. Get it to the mechanic and put it on charge in the mean time.

Could also be something else on the engine.

Draining your battery will damage it as well so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Are you 100% sure it was the alternator that was replaced in Nov 22 and not just the alternator belt? Typically it'd only be replaced on failure i.e. you'd have been having battery issues at that time

Any chance it'd be the battery?

Yes €400 euro cost for fan belt and Alterntor and i have had 3 batteries in that car as well, Last battery Nov 2023, its a Toyota Corolla Taxi

Update Folks, I found a Charger Volt Meter Car Battery Monitor with LED Voltage & Amps Display, Cigarette Lighter Adapter, and i forgot i had it plugged it in 12.2 - 12.4 , dropped when i revved , handy little device

It shouldn't drop when you rev, should go up if anything. Voltage is OK so it points to the alternator still working but not consistently.

Look like a new alternator.

Would an alternator go in a year and a half?

• Advertisement

ok i definitely here a Clanking noise when its running , i checked this morning making 12.2- 12,2 reading no real difference when reving at all,

Have it on charge now , i dont know wherther to go to the mechanic that put it in or go to one of the alternator companies,

What is the normal Guarantee on Alternator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is a taxi. It will have clocked up a lifetimes work in 1.5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

€400 sounds too cheap. I remember years back probably 10 years ago 1994 Toyota diesel and motor factor was 300 or 400 just for alternator. I think problem here is cheap alternator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is obviously something wrong, probably new alternator needed. Driving around without fixing problem is asking to break down.

So batterry charging taking ages to go up went up from 12.2 to 13 but still on 13.3, and charging still since 11am,

Id of thought 400 was very dear its not diesel its petrol

I thought charging it would have turned the battery light out hope i make it to garage tomorrow

What was the result ?

Hi Shoog, yea was the Alternator relay was gone and casing needed good cleaning bushes were fine , least its fixed thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Its entirely possible when the alternator was replaced, it was eithre just reconditioned or replaced with a reconditioned one

So.e lads will find the brushes are gone and just do that. Rest of alternator is not touched.

Price wise i paid a motor factors 350 for one for a B8 A4 cause i was stuck.

Found the same one online for 180 delivered

Advertisement