Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

just in the door from a hurling match. Horrendous conditions windy and squally showers. Sun back out now but just more of the same bad weather just a different bad weather! It’s also cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day down in South Kerry, wonderful skies with good sunny spells, heavy convective showers and breezy to windy on exposed coasts. Some of the showers got down to 11C going by the cars thermometer. Nevertheless enjoyed very much the fresh air and rambling around the countryside . Back at base, high temp of 15.9C and currently 15.1C.

Views from Valentia Island.

Ireland 🇮🇪 I love you and the weather 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

I agree India is hot (too hot for most), but I'm telling you I mentor a bunch of Indian colleagues and we have weekly chats and they do not like the climate here. And they are planning to return to their country at some stage. Not everywhere in India is roasting all the time. Bangalore for example is often around 30c (albeit pretty much 24/7) for a good part of the year, and reaches maxes of 34c in the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not a bad evening. Out foraging.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

p.s. I agree with your comments here. Tourists to not come here for the weather I agree, but for the atmosphere instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

Twas a beautiful day here in Arklow too untill about 630 when a heavy shower dropped about 3mm

I did notice the sun had that same glow today!

Good post. And puts it all in perspective from actual real world feedback. I’d also be like you and would want to move to warmer climes (we only live once, and it’s game over after that in my view). But I’m the same with not knowing where that would be (as someone else posted about other cultures and rules) and the missus also isn’t interested lol!

The only answer to this is to get away more often, and appreciate Ireland for what it is in between those trips away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Managed to avoid almost all the showers today on the east coast of Dublin until one hit at sunset which I don't mind as rain provided there's a horizon clearance can lead to some fiery sunset skies and rainbows, such as this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh wow 👌 breathtaking 😍 it's like a rainbow 🌈 dome , well done syran 😀 be perfect on a calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Rain warning ⚠️ issued for Donegal from 06:00 till 15:00 tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I see in the FI we might be in for a warm spell towards next weekend, just in time for when the kids go back….. 🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya. September will be the hottest month of the Summer. IMT near 16c. Nothing odd really in the 21st century last century 13c IMTs more likely but Summer heat is possible any month from April to September nowadays. September will probably be like June 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain and wind with more rain and wind. 8C. Utterly horrid. If we had this in winter we would moan. It's August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Please jesus let Septemeber be like June 2023 and not September 2023! I think the climate here has deteriorated so much that we can no longer even depend on the traditional Leaving Cert and back to school weather uppers of old. It's just constant grey drizzle nowadays,throw in the odd pet day or two.I always depended on the decent Septembers/Octobers to ease into the shorter days and at least get something of an autumn. Last year was dire,am really hoping this year will be better. 🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Thorny Queen

Jaysus another day of rain- rain all day, lashing against the window, dreary, depressing, grey, just Mehhhhh.

I don't want to leave the house as I'd get soaked just going to the car.

This is why I don't complain about the weather when it's dry and cloudy.

At least there are some dry, sunny days on the horizon.

I'd sit down and have a serious chat with the missus,lol 😁 But you are so right that we only get one shot in this life and being happy where you live is really important. Getting away for frequent breaks is an option but with travel costs getting more and more expensive, that option is less viable than in the days where you could pick up Ryanair flights at bus fare prices and find steals on little hotels and airbnbs. That golden age seems to have passed,alas and everything is now much pricier everywhere. I'd be a lot happier if I could live in Spain and make the odd trip back to Ireland. Any time of year would do to would visit Ireland as the weather is generally so bad here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭alentejo

I am shocked how cool it is this morning. This is more like a November day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain has cleared Galway already this morning, was looking to last right through the afternoon this time yesterday.

Very windy and surprisingly cold, had to remind myself it was August and not October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Edgardo.

I made the move to Spain, weather was a big motivation but wanted also to get away from the car culture of Ireland. Now I can shout from my balcony and can order food/beer from 10 bars/restaurants ( not that one should do that)and no longer have a need or want for a car.

Its not all rosy , this summer was hot, but Spring and Autumn are fantastic.

( My balconies are the exact same as pictured in that beer ad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

good old birra moretti, brewed in the Uk, thats as close to italy as the bottle gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A bit more o'rain sure

Oh wow I envy you so so much and love to hear about people who did make the move, so thanks for sharing.For personal reasons, which I obviously don't want to go into on a public internet forum,it's impossible for me to move at the moment. But that will have to be reviewed as I simply don't want to live full time in Ireland any more. Like you, weather is a huge factor for me and I agree summers can become oppressive in Spain, so it's not all rosy in the garden,am well aware of that. Unlike you though, I love my car 😀. So won't be without one over there.Other factors for me would be the lower cost of living and better overall services in Spain. I find that services and customer appreciation have, along with the weather, deteriorated significantly in Ireland in recent years, there's just not enough of anything to go round in an increasing population.And prices have gone through the roof. But that's a discussion for another forum, not here.

But good on you! Enjoy the sunshine and the laid back life in the warm south.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That last sentence is very true. I've spent more time abroad than Ireland in the past 14 months and it's made me quite like the climate here (apart from winter which is intolerable). The main thing I like about it is that outside of winter, it's basically always a comfortable temperature/real feel, and even winter has comfortable days. This won't be a popular opinion but I also like that you're not guaranteed snow in winter or a sunny summer, it makes it more exciting when such seasons do come along. If we could get rid of those awful humid, windy 7C winter days and have snow more often, then our climate would be pretty great for me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,070 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The constant wind is worse than the rain.

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

Depends on your definition of comfortable I guess, for me comfortable is being able to sit outdoors without wanting to get up and come back inside and by that metric I'd say we've probably had barely 20-30 days in the past year.

Today for example definitely isn't comfortable for me because of the cold wind and oppressive skies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭appledrop

A grand day if it was October but it's August FFS.

I was very positive about August because it had been nice in Dublin but it changed last week and feels like autumn now.

Ah well a chance to get things done for back to school next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm definitely considering a full on permanent move to Spain as well but I won't be able to do it for another 10 years or so but i'm going to spend time investigating it.

I just feel Ireland is not a country for me to grow old in between the poor climate, lack of sunshine and then the very poorly run health service. The health service/hospitals in Spain are much more efficient compared to here and I would feel safer as and elderly person living in a country like Spain.

For me the move would definitely be to a coastal part of southern or eastern Spain, the summers there would be difficult to deal with living well inland without the sea or indeed a swimming pool. I'll be back in Spain from Wednesday for 2 weeks so I'll be seeing is there any property that's at least affordable and in a nice location.

Advertisement