Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If you tell us what flight it is you can search through the records and learn more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I would expect the event would be logged from an operational point of view within the airline and any necessary follow-up technical inspections etc. carried out. Beyond, that, there would (I think) have to be other aspects of concern in order for it to merit reporting and possible investigation. Aircraft experience technical issues every day and the very great majority are managed safely and successfully by the crew. There are detailed operational procedures for any issue that may arise with an aircraft and the necessary checklists and actions are normally worked through in order to ensure a safe conclusion. Crews can also speak to expert technical personnel on the ground if the issue is a complex one. Beyond that, I can't add a lot, given the absence of any flight-specific information.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Astral Nav

Your details are very vague but the best sense I can make of it is the landing gear didn't deploy normally and the crew went around, did a reset or used the back up extension method and landed safely. You were not going to die. This is what crew are trained for and do and aircraft have to have a back up system (by a completely different mechanical method) to deploy landing gear. Maybe a bit of over dramatisation here?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

i am not dramatising it, it was scary. i understand now that there was no need to be scared by what happened because it is a "standard procedure" or whatever.

that i see the circling of the wagons though is frustrating because it was a totally innocuous query. in no way was i saying i think anyone did anything wrong except maybe in this case leave it a bit long before telling us what was happening but equally, i can see why they didn't (in case it raised panic).

i was wondering if it is categorised as an incident that might be investigated or followed up in some way by authorities, more out of interest. it now seems like it would be better and cause less anxiety if i at least knew some of the procedures so next time something unexpected happens, i am better prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

"Circling of the wagons"? People were trying to help with only very limited information. With the date and flight number, we could probably have reviewed the actual flight in a playback on FlightRadar24.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

With all due respect, "scary" to a passenger does not mean that it was a serious incident.

There is no "circling of the wagons here".

3 posters have asked you for the flight details. This would allow them to analyse the flight path/heading/altitude/speed and make an educated guess on how the situation was handled.

Im pretty sure of the flight crew had taken the time after getting onstand to explain the situation it would have felt a lot less scary to you. Similarly an explanatory PA after the initial go-around would have soothed a lot of nerves. But when pilots are dealing with a situation a PA to the customers isnt a priority. If the cabin crew are experienced they might make it on behalf of the captain, maybe they were asked not to?

And having been cabin crew in the past, "running in and out of the cockpit" isnt really normal procedures, (we have phones) but when we go in we do it fast, even for toilet breaks and coffee. Doesn't necessarily meant its a dangerous situation.
    Could well be that the captain felt the need to brief face to face with the lead crew. Meaning they had a plan if things went bad. But from your explanation they worked out fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Many (but by no means all) incidents of that kind show up on avherald.com which is a great website.

I've been on two fairly low level go-arounds in my time - 1995 at Heathrow on a British Airways 737 and 2007 at Dubrovnik on a Travel Service A320.

First one, we were within a few seconds of touchdown (had crossed or just about to cross the airport fence) when the engines spooled up, we pitched up and flew away. It was a bit 'wtf?' at first but not scary once it was obvious we were climbing away nicely and under control. Heavy workload on the pilots when something like this happens especially at such a busy airport, it was quite a while before the captain had the chance to explain what happened. The previous aircraft that landed was supposed to turn off the runway early but missed its exit and so we had to go around, it would probably have been well clear of the runway by the time we got that far along it but probably isn't good enough.

Second one, the airport is in a valley and when the wind blows in a certain direction it causes a lot of low level turbulence. As we got closer to the ground we started to roll one way then the other, pilots corrected it but then it got worse so they decided prudently to go around and have another go. Once I felt the engines start to spool up I knew we were safe so it was a relief. But the pilgrims to Medjugorje fly into Dubrovnik, so about 3/4 of the passengers got their rosary beads out at that point 😁 Second landing (well, the first one, really) was as smooth as you like.

Scrap the cap!

It's worth noting that any trouble with flaps or landing gear would be apparent much further out - shouldn't produce any drama at all. There might have been a problem with one of the hydraulic systems which is not uncommon (passenger aircraft have three or four hydraulic systems to provide redundancy) so the approach is abandoned, the aircraft goes into a hold and the crew work through the checklists and troubleshoot the problem, they can talk to their maintenance base on the radio too.

If the normal gear release is inoperable there are at least two other methods. Once it's sorted out then it's a perfectly normal landing.

A passenger jet landing gear-up is quite rare and usually makes the news (but is sltill safe). At many airports there are spotters who will be videoing routine takeoffs and landings and they'll be onto an abnormal situatuion like a shot. Depending on where it is and the length of the hold (burning off fuel to lighten the aircraft) there might be mainstream media TV crews in place to "film" it. Again it produces some dramatic TV footage but is perfectly safe.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

Strangest one for me was at SNN back in the days of the EI 737s. Went around quite close to touchdown without any drama. Reason, the captain explained later, was a fox on the runway…

It'd be much more of an issue when the engines were gobbling ten or twenty times as much air on takeoff - roasted fox bits out the back… 😀

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement