Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Blob

• 22-08-2024 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Good news, global warming now cancelled, we now need to fear the “cold blob”

“The note explained that if collapse did happen, the impact on Ireland would be “profound” with far more severe winters, warmer summers, and a possible increase in storminess.

It also said the weakening of the Amoc was likely to result in further sea level rises around the country, in addition to what is already expected from climate change.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Great can get back to burning polar bear pelts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great article on just this (non-paywalled), a longish read but worth it i feel.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe blob is just a bit reserved?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

wheres george lee when we need him to save us from the blob!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

Will that be carbon taxes gone so?? Climate is the biggest scam going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no blob at the moment.

Temperatures to the immediate North of Ireland are a little below normal (light blue), temperatures to the west are more or less normal (grey), while those to the south and south-east are above normal (light yellow). At the moment there is a significant anomaly down the east coast of Argentina where there are a lot of blue areas on the chart. In general, further west in the Atlantic from Ireland, there are higher sea surface temperatures (orange and red), which means more moisture in the air, which means more rain in Ireland if the jet stream is headed our way.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/products/ocean/sst/anomaly/

That chart will change every day so by tomorrow, next week or next month, it will show something different to what is in my post.

Most of the world is showing higher sea temperatures than normal, other than the blue around South America and the blue south of Greenland, but Ireland is at the lower end of the spectrum, which means there may be something in what the article says, but nothing like the doom-mongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not from that piece on the AMOC shutting down, but another, has this more than slightly ironic speculation:

Sharp reductions of atmosphere-cooling industrial aerosols, both over the Atlantic, as well from sources in Asia and Europe, may have also slowed the AMOC toward a shutdown in recent decades, potentially even affecting the stability of Antarctic Ice. https://insideclimatenews.org/news/09022024/climate-impacts-from-collapse-of-atlantic-meridional-overturning-current-could-be-worse-than-expected/

Not that I'd ever want to distract from the ongoing global warming climageddon hysteria, but there might be more to worry about than warmer summers, colder winters, severe storms and some local sea level rise:

The right most green dot is the present day temperature peak. The troughs are glacial periods, which many incorrectly refer to as ice-ages. these peaks are natural events - excepting the present one of course - that signify, and possibly trigger, subsequent slides into glacial periods. If the AMOC slowing is a precursor to a shut down of the Gulf Stream, we might be lucky and still have 400 years to go before the massive depopulation of Europe, and mankind in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Junk computer model output that floats around the internet like jetsam washing up on a beach on the Atlantic coast, every few months a journalist in need of easy click bait content pushes out this story. Ken Foxe is being lazy, this article is especially poor, no mention of who actually delivered these presentations.

The Potsdam institute for climate (PIK) alarm is usually the original source for this. You will typically find papers with Stefan Rahmstorf in the attribution when you dig a bit. Maynooth University tends to be the local echo chamber for PIK in Ireland.

Msytic Meg could look into crystal ball to see the future when you crossed her palm with silver. The professors and researchers are using the digital equivalent of a crystal ball. Next time you see this ask yourselves.

1. Who is presenting this and which organizations do they represent?

2. What computer models are they using to produce this output?

3. Do said computer model outputs and their interpreters have any demonstrated skill at predicting the future?

4. How much more tax payer funds are they looking to waste on compute cycles to produce this garbage?

Next time you see clickbait AMOC, read this letter.

Sir,

Your News story “Gulf Stream probed for early warnings of system failure” (Nature 427, 769; 2004) discusses what the climate in the south of England would be like “without the Gulf Stream”. Sadly, this phrase has been seen far too often, usually in newspapers concerned with the unlikely possibility of a new ice age in Britain triggered by the loss of the Gulf Stream.

European readers should be reassured that the Gulf Stream’s existence is a consequence of the large-scale wind system over the North Atlantic Ocean, and of the nature of fluid motion on a rotating planet. The only way to produce an ocean circulation without a Gulf Stream is either to turn off the wind system, or to stop the Earth’s rotation, or both.

Real questions exist about conceivable changes in the ocean circulation and its climate consequences. However, such discussions are not helped by hyperbole and alarmism. The occurrence of a climate state without the Gulf Stream any time soon — within tens of millions of years — has a probability of little more than zero.

Carl Wunsch

Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences,

Massachusetts Institute of Technology,

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

I want a refund on all the carbon taxes I paid! It turns out we are all doomed to freeze and hence could do with a bit of warming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wish it would shutdown so we could have Canadian style winters. I am not gone on the prospect of warmer summers, though. We'll all be long dead by the time it did happen( which it won't)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Super - another climate change thread that's full of conspiracy theorists. Just what this forum needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The culture of fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

There are two threads

• “Global Warming”
    • “Green Policies yada yada”

The media is now trying to scare us with the exact opposite predictions of Global Cooling and invented this “Cold Blob” narrative, which our Met office is now being brought up to speed on, as per current affairs article linked in op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

"Warmer summers" - is that meant to be a threat or a promise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Nobody uses the term "Global Warming" anymore except for boomers and conspiracy theorists who like to use it as some sort of "Gotcha" argument that the fact that there's still cold weather events means that Climate Change is a hoax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The last two summers have been crap here so well believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Actually wasn't this May our warmest ever on record?? . scrap that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ill worry about this, The Day after Tomorrow.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Finally, we might get actual defined seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭scottser

I take by colder winters it will be wetter and colder, so no point booking skiing lessons.

And by warmer summers it will be wetter and warmer, so swap the speedos for mould repellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ahh, bang on 😁 i

It reminds me of Dennis Quaid running in to the Pentagon demanding everybody listen to him about the North Atlantic currents and desalinization !

Real life imitating Art ?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭pawdee

Ireland already has two defined seasons:

1. Leaves on trees.

2. Leaves off trees.

Temperature, rainfall, etc more or less the same for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭susan678

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

That tresspass tent company better start producing some raingear

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Wait...acid rain isn't real?...what about sll the forests in industrialised regions of Germany...accelerated dissolving of limestone structures in cities

Was it all balderdash?...noooo I feel so foolish if it wasn't real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭L Grey

I had the heat on for a bit this evening.

Cold Blob confirmed.

Led Zeppelin-style fur coats for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Limestone taken out of the ground will always dissolve. It's soft stone. Limestone even dissolves underground. The biggest threat to Limestone is bird$hit falling on it, totally eats through it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You are right, what the hell is a climate anyway? Stupid scientists with their PhDs and education, telling us all these lies.

Idiots, am I right?

I suppose I kind of knew that in some sense....

Old headstones, statues stalactites etc....but is the whole acid rain thing simply not true?

Sulfur compounds or CO2 etc dissolving in rainwater and creating a weak acidic solution didn't seem that far fetched to me....

The feckin geography book had a picture of some dead dying forest in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭yoke

of course acid rain is real, this is what happens when people start relying on unregulated videos of “influencers” for their education instead of reading something for half the time it takes to watch a video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Readable version of the article in the OP. We can all relax, it's unlikely to happen and we'll all be long dead if it does.

https://archive.ph/FcJ5W

"Somewhat" tongue in cheek!

Was responding to the below, original posted earlier in the thread.

https://archive.ph/aB0yM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Caustic

The funny bit of them jumping on this, to use news of Ireland possibly getting much colder (climate change) as proof that climate change is a "scam" or fake.

You couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,987 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought this was about a new hair colour, cut and style ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So he's saying we never had Ice Ages before in Europe specifically? There's more than a little evidence that we did and not just because of Milankovitch cycles

He is being totally disingenuous with this deliberately it would seem, yes there will be a general oceanic flow corresponding with the earth's spin always but its more to do with interaction of that flow with surface runoffs suchs as Greenland glaciar melt and other factors which in a nutshell lead to cold SURFACE layer temperatures and he well knows that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I appreciate your expertise. But there is no "normal" in the real world and anyone who claims there is is a charlatan. There is an average, a max/min, a standard deviation/variance and outliers. Until someone can show me a repeatable experiment that shows me a trend outside the range of the last 10 thousand years then I will happily ignore the charlatans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I suppose the question to be asked is is this weakening of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (Amoc) independent from human activity.

If so then it helps to make the point that the climate is changing (and has been changing for trillions of years) regardless of human activity.

Which may have been a fair question if it was asked or stated as suv but it wasn't it was more the climate isn't getting warmer see the climate change people are wrong.

Everyone should know at this stage that the climate has been changing for trillions of years that's fairly obvious but certainly a question I asked my self when getting more interested in the situation probably a very natural question to ask.

But all the scientific data points to an increase in the systems change that has never been seen before on the planet (outside of a few huge planetary catastrophes ) so why this huge increase in a small amount of time? (Unless you have a better answer then the major use of fossil fuels and destruction or the ecosystems that keep a balance to everything) Then you are just going against it for no good reason only just you believe it to be the case based on nothing. Do you have a better answer?

Also the more you learn about what is causing the increase the more you will understand.

Apparently one of earths ice ages was caused when trees when they evolved to grow high due to lignin, the trees grew big and tall and died and fell but nothing could break them down so all that carbon got taken out of natural cycles on earth and it took millions of years for bacteria/fungi to evolve and proliferate all over the planet to start releasing back the carbon and create more temperate climate.

These trees and plants that's couldn't be broken down actually are what became peat and coal. And would have been permanently locked away away all that carbon unless humanity did what it did.

Now we have burned all that carbon back into the ecosystem and of course it most likely will have the opposite effect of what happened when it all got locked away, added into al the other issues like deforestation and burning of other fuels, etc etc.

And now there really is no way for us to put this carbon back.

So even if we take your point that the climate is always changing well there are reasons why it was changed the life on this planet from the biggest trees to the smallest fungi have caused changes to happen so it would seem crazy to think humans couldn't have an effect given the changes we have made to the planet in the small amount of time we have been around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’d go more with “Chicken Littles”. Has ANYTHING they’ve predicted ever happened??

If I was at a pub quiz and my mate kept giving me incorrect information, I’d eventually stop listening to him. Same here with the climate grant squad. “Something” terrible is going to happen, give us money to “learn” more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You mean scientists whose whole careers depend on proving climate change has anything to do with human activities?

Not a healthy starting point.

Better then listening to the grifters whos sole income is taking advantage of the weak minded individual who don't trust science just because but of course trust some random people with no qualifications. Sad world really but you just can't help those who are so easily taken advantage of.

Yeah, it’s called research. You’re belittling science because you don’t understand it, it’s a case of knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong.

Science doesn’t set out to prove anything, everything and anything in science can be proven wrong or right with peer reviewed research and data.

If you have any to the contrary, educate us.

When a "climate scientist's" career depends on an outcome being one way that is a corrupting and corrosive influence.

There is no debate to be had. It just is.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

Ah, I see you’re a conspiracy theorist, there is a section for that. Pretty sure climate scientist don’t depend on anything really, there is a climate to study, or do you not believe there is a climate as well?

You can sneer at people who don't believe this stuff or are highly sceptical all you like. It doesn't help your own cause.

• Advertisement
Advertisement