Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Roof Vents at the top could be a restriction, but 6 each on each of the south roofs, and 12 on the west, total of 24 😉

West gives a great last to the solar production, especially in the summer, on them long days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭newhouse87

haha i will start with the 18.

Have only 1 south roof that will take 6, its beside small west roof at patio.

So would it make sense to put 6 on small west facing roof and 6 on big west roof rather than all on big west roof, was just thinking be later in day before main west roof on far side gets the sun?

Hopefully they will work around vents, none of them mentioned it yet as issue anyway.

What about the roof beside the HP? That's South too isn't it?

Does it make sense that far side of main west roof would be last to get sun so I would be better put 6on small west roof above sliding door and 6 on nearside of main west roof rather then 12 on main west roof?

rough paint sketch of roof? not to scale!

I wouldnt be too worried about shadowing, Roofs generate hard shadows, Which are enough to activate the bypass diodes in the panels,so they just take themselves out, and not hurt the rest of the string.

Measure your roof yourself and see how much you can fit, most panels are around 1130mm with 20mm for the mount bracket, so id count 1150 for each panel (+ 500mm from the ridge and the edge)

If you can, do whatever you can do now, its a lot more bother to come back and add to the system later

Solis cloud app acting a bit funny for anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭championc

Utter crap. Use MyEnergi for Live data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭iknorr

Got a strange one going on…..

Recently installed a Solis S5-EH1P(3-6)K-L 5kw.

System seems to be performing as expected however, when decently generating, e.g. above 3kw, there seems to be a click or a sudden tick noise that happens every now and then. Edit (noticed it does this when its on battery also, e.g. night time 3kw load.)

It appears to happen more frequently when im generating above 5kw, every 5-10 minutes.

Its coming from inside the invertor. Any ideas what this could be?

Post edited by iknorr on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oaklands

Possibly a relay turning a fan on/off????

The fan is very noticeable, so i dont think its that. If its a relay, its slapping the contacts very hard.

It almost sounds like those lighters that has the electric spark. Actually, it sounds like an electrical ark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

contactors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Liam2021

Hi all,

Just trying to find out can I let my dyness batteries go below 20% SOC? Is it possible to go to 10% only need the extra 10% once a week.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK Dyness are warrantied to 90% dept of discharge but just double check the model of your batteries on their website to be certain.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Bit of an odd one. I have a solis hybrid inverter with a weco 5kw battery. I have the battery set to charge slowly from 2am to 6am.

I will also charge the car between these times.

What's happening is that the battery is at 100% and at 5.55am it will start discharging at 5kw to the car for five minutes. This is annoying as it's a waste of the battery and it's also extremely noisy and wakes us up.

Just wondering why it would start to discharge at this rate before the set time? I know the battery doesn't like to stay at 100% but it usually discharges a very small amount and then charges back up. Not this massive discharge.

I am going to extend the charge time to 6.05am and see if that helps the situation.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭S'

Is the time clock on car charger, solis inverter and ESB meter the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tommythecat

That's it! The inverter has somehow managed to change by 10 minutes! Hopefully that sorts it. Thanks!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

The inverter doesn't appear to support NTP (internet source time) for it's timekeeping, so you'll need to check that time clock reasonably often. That in adding in buffers of a few mins so that the car stops charging a few mins before the change-over of the smart meter to the new tariff, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭jkforde

has anyone's PV suddenly stopped generating without any inverter issues or alarms? was fine up to 1125 today and since then no juice... got a local PV installer coming to take a look (he mentioned fireman switch may have flipped) but any ideas from others that this may have happened to?. I restarted the inverter but didn't help.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 GarlicBed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks but issue is resolved, seems the grid was having a wobble as the area soon after had a power outage and it's working fine since ESB rectified the power outage. but weirdly the inverter had no warnings for voltage etc before it happened. anyways, all good again, phew!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users Posts: 34 viewofthehill

Just seen some unexplained behaviour with the inverter the last couple of days. This is the solar production graph from yesterday. It seems that production is slow until something kicks in around 10:30 and then again at 13:30.

This seems to tally up the power being generated from the two strings but here again you can see big jumps in production at 10:30 on string 1 and 13:30 on string 2.

There is no shading on the panels which would be causing the sudden jumps in production.

Below is a graph from March where the production ramp up is much smoother without the jumps.

This rapid jump has been a feature over the last week or so but there is nothing to explain why this is the case. I have shutdown and restarted the whole system but am still seeing the same patterns following it.

Can anyone give some pointers as to why this may be happening?

Are you at home when this happens?

It really feels like shading, because it generates a little and boom when it clears it's full power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Hmm, from the charts I'd agree with you that it looks like a shading performance profile. But the chart he included from March (which would have the same general sun orientation as now Sept) doesn't seem to have it. So I'm inclinded to think that it's not from that point.

Unless there's been some recent addition which causes shading, perhaps the neighbour has installed a new satelite dish (or something you get the idea)

@viewofthehill what's the size and orientation of both your arrays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭NedNew2

Possibly any nearby trees would not have leaves in March but they would in September?

The two arrays are 4.56Kw SSE and 3.8Kw WSW at right angles. The SSE array is on a single storey with a hedge about 10 metres from it. The WSW is on a two storey. The hedge is abou 6m high.

That's my guess. Are there optimisers on all or any of the panels? How many strings?

• Advertisement

Just had a look back at this time last year. Apologies for the graphs but the app doesn't store data from more than 6 months ago. The chart below is an example from the almost the same day last year (21 September). As you can see on the graph there is the same ramp up as in the March graph. The only thing that has changed in the last year is that the hedge is now probably 2m lower than it was originally. Past the hedge the nearest object that would cast a shadow is a hedge about 60m from that.

For comparison purposes I have the same graph for 18 September this year

Looking at the two you can see it starts producing at a similar time but there seems to be a big jump at 9:30 and again at 12:30 (time on the graphs are out due to system time vs. Summer time). PV1 is the SSE array and PV2 is the WSW array

Two strings with no optimisers on any panel. Each array is on a separate string.

I had a look this morning and it seems that the voltage is causing the problem

The voltage on both strings appear to rise to 100 and then stay there for a time period before going to 300/350 for the strings.

Voltage graph from last September. It seems the voltage rise was when the panels started producing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

my ground mounted is acting up at the moment, guessing moisture etc. getting into places. After about half nine in morning things are ok, I think cause things have dried out a bit. Anything like that maybe?

Normally voltage climbs very early on when the panel starts up, it should get up to between the panel's stated Voc and it's Vmpp, then the current starts climbing after that and voltage stays relatively stable. If all of the panels are in full sun when this condition occurs (that being the voltage hovering around 100v DC) then I'd wonder if the panels are going into a bypass state, but normally this would be triggered by by a low-light condition. Are the panels clean of dirt and definitely not in shade when that condition occurs?

Unable to see the panels on the two storey for dirt but they are facing into a field with nothing behind them for 200m so no shading. The lower panels are clean and have no shading early in the morning or throughout the day. The closest hedge was reduced in height by 3m earlier this year and there was no shading before that. There is some shading on the single storey array in the height of the summer late in the evening when the sun catches the corner of the two storey.

Not a clue. I'd forward those images of the voltage and power for both strings onto the installer and see what they make of them. But keep us posted please.

Little bit concerned about the huge voltage spikes too on last year (800v nearly)

Do you see that happening this year?

Really odd though, is it happening every day?

Just had a look at the data for those days. The reason for the spike is duplicate information being sent by the logger (within 35 seconds of the previous upload) so when graphing the graph is based on minutes and the voltages are summed (doubled).

• Advertisement

Ah thats ok then. (voltage spikes)

On a normal day like today is it still happening?

Yesterday never went above 100v for the entire day

Today is showing a similar pattern

Whats springing to mind other than an inverter fault, is that there is a poor connection somewhere.
    (places could be MC4 connections on inverter, The DC isolater, The fireman switch, or the connections on the roof)

On the good days, it can overcome it but today being cloudy, It cant.

Can you see when it started happening?

I have seen this on a DC Isolator that has failed, due to water ingress. If I wiggled it I could get it back at full power.. sometimes. Needed replacing, No external signs but once opened it was destroyed (and stank) (both strings are the same aspect

we think it got into the conduit on the roof, and slowly worked its way in over time, Install was in about 3-4 years at this point. Back in action again with new isolator and precautions taken so not to happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

It is two years since our install. I was looking forward to decent hot water via Eddi today after dull past days but it is misbehaving or the whole system is? no power going to water or anywhere according to the Myenergi app.

Can anyone recommend a 'consultant' to check over the system. I never felt we got properly set up by installer and have no faith to chase him down at this stage.

What does the screen of the eddi show, and the screen of the inverter show?

Inverter seems to give decent info… nearly 3 from solar and over 2 going to house (wash machine just turned on) . Eddi says 'waiting for surplus'. I did look at it and it needed some update so did that and also turned it off for 10 minutes. I was able to do a 'boost' to manually heat water. Myenergi app is showing no activity and 'waiting for surplus'. Bright sun since dawn so expected decent tank of hot water by now.

• Advertisement

What does the screen on the eddi show ? Does it show the export ?

No activity on Eddi screen and 'waiting for surplus'. Myenergi app now showing 3.7 going to grid.

Have you a zappi and is it the master device ?
    If you do check to see if they are still talking to each other . linked devices on the zappi

No zappi. All readings on Eddi are 0%…. have installed updates as requested today..

No zappi

• Advertisement
Advertisement