Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't areas like Beaumont and Walkinstown more popular.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lots of people care and with good reason but the main thing is it effects property prices whether you care or not. The majority of corpo properties are now in private hands as opposed to council housing. Coolock isn't going to gentrify and people don't want to live close to it and this is reflected in the property prices

The funny thing is people who grew up in corpo housing bemoan the fact wealthier people are coming in and buying up the housing in the area causing them not to be able to afford to live by their family.

So you have people on both ends bothered about corpo housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-5/property-for-sale-in-coolock.

Post edited by mariaalice on

Really no one wants to buy in Coolock?

Where did I say no one wants to live there? Lots don't are won't that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WolfSpinach

I think Walkinstown is just as active as anywhere. One property near us sold for 300k this year (according to the property price register) and has just been done up and flipped on an asking price of 525k. Internal finishing was pretty good and they did add a little extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yup no corpo houses in Beaumont.

Clontarf has a big enough one and Howth has even a bigger estate of corpo houses.

It will be interesting to see what will happen in Howth after all those massive number of apartments are finished, how will that affect the market there or maybe it won't.

Living the life

That is kind of my point wouldn't someone buy and do it as a home to live in not as something to flip?

We live close-ish, moved here 2 years ago and we're trying :) It's just expensive and hard to pin down contractors. I was mostly interested to see that a property had almost doubled in value in 8 months, there's some demand in the area to support that.

Anecdotally our street has seen a bit of change. Younger families moving in, that sort of thing. There are also apartments going in nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tigger123

Walkinstown (sorry, typing on the phone, @mariaalice quote didn't come through).

• Advertisement

We moved in 5 years ago, and you can really see the churn in the area; less old people, and more buggies being pushed around.

A lot of probate sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭JP 1800

I have noticed that also, moved into Greenhills a few years ago. A new generation of families moving in as the elderly population declines. Between when we bought and now the prices have gone up by 50%. The houses come with decent size back gardens and the vehicle access to the rears make them ideal for garages to set up or other small businesses. Its a decent area with a lot of amenities close by. We bought as it was easy commute to our jobs and close to M50 and city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

property had almost doubled in value in 8 months

Do you mean 8 years?

Walkinstown has great access to town. When both of the kids are in school, I'll definitely be cycling to work.

There are huge amount of reasons why people don't do it themselves and that is why there is a premium price for completed property. If you have ever hired somebody to do even relatively small work in your property you would be fully aware of how much stress is involved and how difficult it is to get the desired outcome.

One huge issues is you tend to have to live in the property while the work is being done

Iv changed my mind about my post prices have shot up in recently.

Two years ago easily in reach of the average couple buying a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Thorny Queen

I nearly bought my Granny's house in Walkinstown for around 265k as a young teacher in around 2009. I just didn't have enough of a deposit saved. Not a hope I could buy it now, at least 500k+. I loved the area, knew most of the neighbours through my Granny- ordinary, hardworking folk.

The house had everything I needed- 3 bedrooms, small garden, 2 living rooms, well built.

I don't think you'd have more than 2 children in it though.

It's my one life regret not buying that house.

In saying that, I know there are some roads in Walkinstown I wouldn't live in. Drug dealers who terrorise their neighbours- bully dogs etc. Be more closer to Mooney's field as it'd be called locally.

I suppose you're taking a risk moving into any area though.

I think that's a very important point areas where people with good solid working class jobs use to buy are all becoming very expensive and out of the reach of the type of people who purchases them in the 1950s when they were built, possibly purchases them with a mortgage from the council, had the same job for life, had large family's (by today's standards) ran the credit unions ect, very proud of there homes.

Great start for a young savey chippie, plumber, electrician.

I know someone who became a minor property developer that way, when they moved in there were holes in the ceiling and floors the place was a wreck they lived in the house sleeping on a mattress and working on it after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Thorny Queen

Ahhh you're going to make me cry...that describes my Grandparents to a T. Their house was not big but it was like going into a palace.

My Granny had such a great eye for colour and design and fashion, she had the best drapery and carpets in the house. She kept it so tidy and clean (not that it was just her job but she did the cleaning so I have to give her credit).

I keep hearing this word- Gentrified and thats exactly what is happening to those areas. The ordinary folk can't live there anymore, it's very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

My mother lives in Artane. The house next door to her was once owned by a man who had five children. As far as I know, his wife did not work and he was a postman for most of his life. Today, someone in that position would not have a prayer of affording a house in the same area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, it's mad that most of these houses would have been purchased with just one person working. I must keep an eye on this one to see what it goes for. I know the road, Greenhills is probably one of the "quieter" parts of Walkinstown / D12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's up for 525k, so I would wager anything from 550k to 600k will be the final selling price.

I'd like to take this opportunity to illustrate just how much house prices have inflated in the last few decades with a personal example.

My late grandfather bought a house in Stillorgan in 1972 for 11k pounds. Using the tool below, we can see what 11k in 1972 would be worth based on inflation alone. 11k in 1972 was the equivalent of 152k today (rounding up). The house in question was sold in late 2022 for 800k.

https://visual.cso.ie/?body=entity/cpicalculator

I am not sure why you think gentrification is "sad". It actually means people who own in the area have an increased asset. The areas themselves improve and ordinary people that earn more are happy to move there with the quality of services and shop improve.

Society has moved on where many households being double incomes now. While you think a single bread winner and female staff had to leave their job once married was a better situation that time is gone.

Commute times are way longer than they used to be so property close to major employment is worth more. It is no surprise a postman doesn't earn as much as somebody that needs a degree and years of experience for their job. How much training does a postman require? Supply and demand applies to employment and being easily replaceable means you will be paid less.

What other way should it work?

No, no, things were better when women had to quit their jobs as soon as they got married, and then spend the next 30 years raising however many kids God decided they should have, and I won't hear a word to the contrary.

it's simplistic to the point of absurdity to compare anything about Ireland in the 1960s or 70s to today, it's a totally different country in absolutely every respect, and that is a very, very, very good thing.

Two odd responses.

It wasn't Better in the past it was different.

It is a question for society why someone with solid working class type jobs can't buy in the areas they use to.

There is no one answer because it's a very complex question.

It isn't a question for society it is simple economics, people with better paying jobs can afford more expensive things. Unless you want to subsidise private property sales and push up prices there isn't much to be done. You could always keep an area in deprivation so prices stay low like Coolock.

Everyone working for somebody else is working class including IT personnel on high wages maybe you equate low and semi skilled workers as working class.

Yeah it's all inter-related.

You cannot take the good parts of social change like increased labour market participation, third level education and higher living standards, and expect to keep all the good bits of the old system.

A postman (or whoever) could afford to buy a house in these areas because a permanent "safe" job was the pinnacle of expectations right up to the early 90s. The flipside of that was that so many people had no job, or unsafe jobs, or just had to emigrate, and that kept house prices depressed. This absolutely was not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nermal

Higher property prices aren't an inevitable and necessary consequence of the social changes that occured since that house in Walkinstown was built. Prices have increased so much relative to salaries because we've artificially imposed increased costs through planning & building regulations and we've simultaneously made more credit available. We didn't have to do that.

• Advertisement

The metric people use for price increases is generally the average industrial wage. This ignores higher incomes which is how people can afford higher prices for what used to be possible on a low/semi skilled job. Wages for higher portion of the population have risen but the the other employment didn't and won't keep pace with these wages. An increasing wage gap has occurred.

There are a lot more people that can easily replace low skill/wage jobs so the salaries aren't going to increase and they have less locations they can afford to buy in.

Planning regulations have not really gone up in cost, building standards improved and that has a cost but that is not going to revert. That is not an artificial increase.

There are too many people that think this is some plan to keep people down but reality is it is a combination of incompetence and public pressure to do things a particulate way. RPZ is a terrible and reduces people willing to rent and drove people out of the market. The public generally think it is great

Advertisement