Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prep for 10mm floor tiles on Indoor/Outdoor Concrete Slab

• 23-08-2024 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm in the process of preparing for pouring a concrete slab for an indoor/outdoor patio area (veranda with glass sliding doors).

I want to tile the floor using 10mm indoor/outdoor porcelain tiles, similar to what you would use for your kitchen bathroom floor. These are not the 20mm porcelain tiles that would usually be used for paving a patio or driveway. I have a particular tile in mind and they are rated for both indoor and outdoor use, slip resistant etc, so all that part is sorted. However, I'm not sure how to best plan the concrete pour so I end up at the correct level.

Initially I was planning to pour a concrete slab on top of a hardcore base covered with DPM and pour to 20mm below the planned final level. This would leave 10mm to account for the tile itself plus 10mm for the tile adhesive. However, after researching various articles and videos I see that sometimes a screed layer has been put on top of the concrete floor. I'm not sure though under what conditions this is required. If it is needed, I'll need to pour the slab at an initially deeper level to leave room for the additional screed layer. If I do add the screed, I'm not sure whether the DPM is then placed between the slab and the screed insteawd of under the slab itself or whether there are actually two layers (one below the slab and another between the slab and the screed.

As this is an outdoor floor (covered most of the year) I wanted it to finish at ground level to match the height of an existing (permanently outdoor paved patio). I'm wondering what I need to take into consideration to account for our extremely varied Irish weather, particularly in relation to damp and frost.

If anyone else has tried or had experience with a similar project I would love to hear what you have done or planned to do.

Thanks to all for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Outdoor patios are not typically 20mm porcelain. FWIW

Is the slip resistance appropriate for wet floors? Is the area drained? Have you considered falls? Is the threshold level? Is it drained?

A screed is placed in order to have a suitable substrate for timing. It’s not necessary. But the tolerance for placing a concrete slab is greater than a screed. Whether you need you would depend on whether falls are needed, and how good you are at laying concrete.

For the outdoor slab, what is the purpose of the DPM?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nowImonboards

Hi Mellor,

My comment on the 20mm patio tiles was due to the fact that 99% of the many articles and videos I reviewed were specific to 20mm patio tiles. It is very difficult to find any info (specifically localised to Ireland/UK) that use 10mm tiles outdoors. The 20mm tiles are rarely laid on a concrete base (at least from what I have found in my research and heard when speaking to paving contractors). However, 10mm tiles seem to require a concrete base. I was just trying to make sure I had distinguished that early on so I don't waste peoples time.

The purpose of the DPM is to stop the ground moisture making its way up under the tiles. I also need to minimise the risk of frost uprooting them. Is there a reason why I shouldn't use DPM? The end result should be just like the existing kitchen floor (just at a lower level to match the existing outdoor patio). In the summer it will be open patio and in the winter it will be closed and act as an extension of the kitchen and will be treated as such, e.g. I'll be mopping the floor in the same way I would the kitchen floor.

It won't generally be directly exposed to rain so I wasn't planning to add falls. I was aiming for level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's important to butter the back of each tile before laying it onto the ridged adhesive so that each tile is on a solid bed of adhesive. Even doing this and using a 10mm trowel you'll probably end up with less than 10mm height of adhesive as when you press the tiles into place they will flatten the ridges made with the trowel.

Be sure to use a "flexible" adhesive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks very much for the input Rows Grower.

One thing on that note. When I was looking for tiles, one of the vendors advised to make sure there were no gaps beneath the tiles to avoid water getting in and freezing, uprooting the tiles. Is it possible he meant not to use a ridged trowel or is that even possible? Perhaps he just meant to butter the back of the tiles like you suggested. Any thoughts on that?

He's dead right, they should be laid on a solid bed of adhesive to stop them popping after a freeze. You can do this with a ridged trowel by buttering the back of each tile and then when you fit the tile press it into place. This will flatten the ridged adhesive into a solid bed. The 10mm deep trowel will have a 10mm gap between the teeth so in reality you will end up with about a 6-7mm solid bed of adhesive underneath each tile. When you are doing the job it's no harm to lift a tile you've just laid every now and again just to check it was lying on a solid bed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This just means not to lay tabs on "daps" of concrete/adhesive

a) they will likely lift

b) if you drop something on a cavity it will crack/break

c) incredibly weak edges/corners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Also the adhesive ridges should run perpendicular to the longest side of the tile. ie - so that the air has the shortest path out from underneath. Use a good quality tiling primer on the concrete too, none of that PVA stuff.

No, it means lay them on a solid bed.

Tiles haven't been laid using the dabs method since the last century.

Water has very narrow shoulders and most grout is water resistant but not actually waterproof. If water did find it's way under tile it will expand in freezing conditions and at least weaken the integrity of the adhesive if not cause the tile to pop. A solid bed of adhesive will prevent this from happening.

Thanks All!

That definitely clears a few things up on the tiling. All makes sense :)

The tiles are actually hexagonal (of course it couldn't be simple) so no long side as such. I'm aiming to avoid any air pockets if possible though as mentioned above. I'll ensure the initial ridges align with any fall if there is any (although I was thinking to make the floor level).

I was looking at some different types of adhesive. I see a few on screwfix.ie which mention that they are suitable for outdoor use. However, they don't all specifically mention frost-resistance. I would have assumed that the outdoor variants would have taken frost into account….. until I seen the one that specifically mentioned it. Has anyone had any experience with these:

The first one what was recommended to me was UltraTile ProFlex SPES Standard Set Tile Adhesive. However, this doesn't seem to mention frost.

I did see this Mapei Keraquick Wall & Floor Rapid-Set Flexible Tile Adhesive which does specify frost resistance but only has one review.

There is also one very reasonably priced option that has reviews ranging from brilliant to terrible. I'm guessing the results depend on skill level.

Any experience with either for outdoor use?

Also, should I be looking at some kind of uncoupling membrane to help with cracking / frost protection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

hexagonal

Saints on skateboards, you like a challenge.

I think it's the jointing compound that most needs frost proofing. Had you decided on a joint width? AJ recommends a jointing compound here with resistance, but they need ~10mm joints.

https://www.pavingexpert.com/a-joint_01

Also, should I be looking at some kind of uncoupling membrane to help with cracking / frost protection?

Never heard of it being used externally, not sure it's needed unless you're putting in an expansion joint into the slab or are covering a join, or are expecting elephants.

• Advertisement

It wasn't my choice believe me. For some reason, not matter what the possibilities are, my better half always seems to choose the most complicated version without knowing.

The slab is 6m x 3m so I was planning an expansion joint.

I was planning a standard 5mm joint width. I thought the jointing options on AJ's site, (as well as the rest of his tiling advice), was aimed at 20mm paving tiles. I wanted this to be like an internal floor.

I have seen the separation membrane recommended here.

I have also seen a recommendation for a waterproofing membrane (RedGard) here.

I don't think either or these have taken Irish weather into account but something like the RedGard seems to make sense.

Most other countries seem have it easy when it comes to outdoor living spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Had our glass box built on a composite deck mounted on screwpiles which I built. Thought about a slab but the complexity, cost and potential for things to go wrong changed my mind.

Cost about €2K for the 3mx4m deck and took me about a week to build.

Thanks Shoog,

That was an option I was considering but was unfortunately over-ruled :-/

I have it dug out anyway and waiting for the pour. I just need to make sure I have brought the sub-base up to the right starting height to make sure I don't mess up my levels after all this work.

Tiling aside, I'm just wondering which of the following layer arrangements I would be better off aiming for:

Option 1

Option 2

[10mm] Tile

[10mm] Tile

[~7mm] Adhesive – Flexible, frost-resistant

[?mm] Tiling Primer

[?mm] Tiling Primer

[130mm] Concrete Slab

[?mm] Sand/Cement Screed

DPM (under slab)

DPM (between slab and screed)

[20mm] Sand Blind

[130mm] Concrete Slab

[150mm] Hardcore

[150mm] Hardcore

20mm tiles should still have she sort of bed. 20mm Pavers would not. With pavers would expect movement and joints are not grouted. Tiles, as they are grouted should be stable.

I asked about the DPM as it sounded like it was an outdoor patio. In which case it would be wet anyway. If enclosed it go with DPM.

But I’d also then consider, if it’s a heated space, thermal envelope, cold bridging to kitchen, and step/level junction at kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can you clarify what you mean by these statements?

...indoor/outdoor patio area (veranda with glass sliding doors)
    ...this is an outdoor floor (covered most of the year)
    ... In the summer it will be open patio and in the winter it will be closed

If the roof is permanently fixed, then it's not ever an outdoor space. Just because it has sliding doors doesn't make it outdoors - my kitchen has sliding doors and it's very much indoors.

You said you have an existing outdoor patio to match levels with (presumably at the threshold) so it can't be the case that you're putting new tiles outdoors.

Is the roof moveable or something?

This distinction is important because it affects how you're dealing with rainfall. If the roof is fixed but the doors are closeable, you don't need a fall and can rely on sunshine to dry off the tiles from small amounts of wind-driven rain and close the doors in the case of a torrential downpour.

I'd have thought the roof would have a bit of overhang anyway.

What's going on here?

My understanding is that 20mm tiles would normally have a mortar bed whereas the 10mm tiles would require a concrete slab in such an environment to minimise the chances of cracking/popping off. If that is not the case I have been misinformed but I'm going with the slab anyway as it allows any kind of surface updates in the future.

Any instructions you can point me to on the cold bridging and step/level junction would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your input.

Hi Lumen,

This is a glass veranda with each wall fully retractable. The supporting structure is made of a few aliminium posts with everything else being glass. It is neither fully indoor nor fully outdoor. It can be both. See the following pic.

In my case the grass will go right up to the front of the new slab and the paved area on the right is the new tiled patio I put in during the summer. This is the existing level I need to meet.

Apologies but I don't understand what you mean when you say "it can't be the case that you're putting new tiles outdoors".
    I have already put new 20mm porcelain tiles on a mortar bed as the fully outdoor section (to the right of the structure in the above pic) of the patio area. I'm simply trying to get the layers (and therefore finished height) correct for the new slab/floor and tiles for the indoor/outdoor section so it meets the existing level of the patio and grass area.

So if, for example, it would be recommended to add a 50mm screed on top of the slab, then I'll have to finish my sub-base layer 50mm lower than I would if a screed is not recommended.

Does that clarify things at all?

These are outdoor spaces so issues of cold bridges don't really come into it. Myself and my wife play the game of what to call it, it's not a room, it's not an extension, it's an outside space with glass screens. We tend to call it the box or the glass box.

Its consistently warmer than outside but it's not an outside room so when the temp drops it's not usable as a living space. We get to use it when no one else is outside in their gardens and can stay out late into the evening when it's mild.

It's a covered in patio and that is it's function.

20mm tiles should still have a slab if they are to be grouted imo. Pavers can be laid without a slab.

If the patio is unheated/outside the thermal envelope you can ignore the bridging. Threshold detail depends on whether you want a level doorway

I was thinking to have an electric heater out there (similar to the ones you would find in a beer garden in winter). When do you need to consider bridging? Wouldn't that be more of a concern for the existing kitchen? Are you just talking about putting a slice of insulation between the slab and the structure of the house?

I don't want to get too far off track but I appreciate info an anything I need to consider.

The main thing for me right now is the levels though. I want to start compacting the sub-base today and filling it it to the height it needs to be. From what I understand so far, there is no real need for a screed layer so still going with option 1 from above at this point. Feel free to shout if you disagree.

Thanks to all for responses so far.

• Advertisement

How do you intend to level your finished slab. With these types of big tiles it needs to be razor flat in all directions otherwise it will be a complete mess in the finished tiles.

I have someone helping me who has the floats etc. He was going to do it by hand. As long as we can get it to withing a 5ml tolerance I would have thought the bed of adhesive would have helped deal with anything that falls within that. Am I wrong?

Its a skilled job floating a floor but if your friend has the experience then it should be OK. Best way would be to hire a hover float - they do an amazing job of leveling.

Thanks Shoog, that's my fallback option the help falls through.

Just to clarify though, when I mentioned my immediate concern was the levels, I wasn't referring to the flatness of the finished surface. I was referring to the thickness (height) of each layer. If I need a screed it would potentially add 50mm (or whatever the thickness of the screed layer is) to the height. If I don't need a screed layer I need to bring my base layer up 50mm higher in order to meet the existing level. The two options I am trying to decide between are:

Option 1 - Without Screed Layer
    [10mm] Tile
    [~3mm] Tiling Primer
    [130mm] Concrete Slab
    DPM (under slab)
    [20mm] Sand Blind (Plastering sand)
    [150mm+] Hardcore layer

Sub-base layer would then need to finish 170mm below the existing patio level

Option 2 - With Screed Layer
    [10mm] Tile
    [~3mm] Tiling Primer
    [50mm] Sand/Cement Screed
    DPM (between slab and screed)
    [130mm] Concrete Slab
    [150mm+] Hardcore

In this case the Sub-base layer would then need to finish 200mm below the existing patio level

This is the immediate concern right now.

Screeding is the standard method of getting a tileable floor surface. The issue with concrete by itself is that it is difficult to know how flat it will be because of inconsistency in the mix which will result in differential drying with low and high patches developing as it dries. Also without regular reference points how do you know what your levels really are across a big floor. People wouldn't go to the trouble of screeding if it wasn't a known issue. Its a bit like when plastering with skimcoat - you always use two layers to get the final finish.

Just my opinion though.

That's great info Shoog. Thanks very much. I didn't know the levels change as it dries. Do you happen to know the range of difference we are talking about? It's only a 6m x 3m slab. I'm wondering would I get away with a layer of self-leveler at the end if I aimed to leave about 5mm for it.

Also, if it tends to raise in spots as it dries, why would a power float make a difference?

Bridging is only a consideration if the new slab connections to the existing slab. Including at doorways. Not a concern where it abuts the outside of the house wall.

A screed is essentially fine concrete. There’s no need for a screed. But it is harder to pour a concrete slab as accurately or as level.
    if the concrete is uneven there is only so much you can make up in the adhesive. If it’s out my a significant amount then the tile won’t be level.

depends on how confident you are in the concrete. Commercial I’d always allow at least a little to level the slab.

Thanks Mellor,

As you mentioned doorways above, the slab will run along the back of the house, outside the back door about 150mm below the bottom of the door frame. Does that change anything?

Regarding your last sentence - when you say "Commercial I’d always allow at least a little to level the slab", are you talking about screed or leveler here? If screed, how much would you allow for? Is 10-20mm too little?

Thanks again for input

Self levelling compound is both expensive and quite hard to use unless you are aiming for a continuous layer over the whole slab. It's also weak compared to the concrete. It's a bad sticking plaster.

It would be far cheaper to go for the hover float and get the slab level at pour time. A power float amalgamates the surface reducing unevenness but it also covers a relatively large area in each pass. It's how pros lay industrial floors and the results can be very flat.

• Advertisement

Thanks again shoog. If I went for the power float and managed to get it super flat, wouldn't it still be affected by the differential drying you mentioned above?

I do find the whole process pretty interesting and just trying to better my understanding so apologies for the followup questions.

A leveller is a self levelling screed. It's still a screed, with a different chemical make up.
    The finish slab level needs to be level. So either you can make sure the slab is laid level first time. But it'd not, you need to rectify it. Only option at that point is a self levelling screed. Or you can purposely put the slab low enough to lay a screed. You'd need 20-25mm screen min, 5-10mm adhesive, and 10mm tiles. 40mm min below FFL.

Are you doing this yourself or getting a professional?

Power floating the slab will improve the flatness. But even the pros get it wrong, when it cures unevenly. Brand new commercial slabs can be pretty uneven even when floated. (although worse when suspended). Floating is a skill. I wouldn't be confident that a DIYer gets it right every time. If the slab is off at that point, it pretty much has to be a self leveling screed.

It's expensive per m3. But you use far less of it. Different products have different workability. It's maximal strength is less than concrete, but you can lay concreted feathered to nothing. Regardless, its not structural so not really relevant. The tile adhesive is weaker again.

The only follow up I would make is by going for big tiles your make the demands on your slab much higher. It's not my expertise but I have done a few and it's always been more difficult than I anticipated. It's a skilled job and the best results are always achieved when a skilled concreter is on hand to supervise or do the final finish.

This is why I went to some trouble to avoid it for my glass box, especially when the installer advised that it needed to be mm perfect for the glass to run smoothly.

Thanks very much for the input Mellor.

I'm not finishing the concrete myself. I have someone who has some experience to give me a hand but not sure whether our expectations are the same on how flat the finished surface should be, especially considering previous comments about differences in drying rates affecting the final flatness.

So would you recommend putting the DPM between the slab and the screed? If FFL is at ground level then would finishing the concrete 40mm below that increase the chances of issues with damp. I realise it is an indoor / outdoor but that may change in future depending on the lifespan of the veranda. Either way I'd like to aim for it to be as dry and warm as possible. I may not be sitting out in it in the subzero winter but there will be some furnishings / decor that I'd like to last.

I'd make sure expectations are aligned at the start. If they are confidient they can have a perfectly flat slab then there is no need to screed. If not, they you need a plan.

If you put the DPM between the slab and screed. That means the screed will be unbonded and will need to be thicker, meaning a further setout. some DPM are bondable, but not typically.
    The ground is damp. As soon as you are putting a slab into the ground you are in a damp environment. You need to figure out how the DPM connects to the house. And also how it is terminate at the outer edge. If it's just flapping about water comes in over. Regardless of having a roof or enclosed wall, if it's not waterproof, will always be a outdoor space and water will get in.

Thanks Mellor,

That's an interesting point about the DPM. When I removed the existing paving flags and material to clear the way for the slab I could see the existing DPM from the house was buried loose and just crumpled in a bunch at the corner in a way that it was acting as a kind of bowl holding water. One of the guys that was helping me cut it off with a blade in one section about 1m long from the corner exposing the bare blocks behind. I was doubting whether that was the right thing to do but not much I can do about it now. I am left with a flap of DPM coming down under the plinth in that 1m section but there is enough to tuck behind the new slab. The rest is still buried along the wall and not sure how far down it goes (probably not much judging by the section that was cut off).

I'm planning to put another layer of DPM under the slab wrapping the entirety of the bottom and sides. Here's a diagram to try to explain:

Is that flap coming down under the plinth what you were referring to?

For completeness, here's a version with screed and additional DPM to make sure we are on the same page if I end up going that route:

Thanks again for taking the time to help me clarify my thoughts.

• Advertisement

The "flap" at the wall should be going into the cavity and up and over a course of the inner leaf, and under the house slab

You can bond to this flap, and should consider the water coming down the wall. But it's not the part I was referring to.
    On the garden side, you sketch shows the edge of the DPM between the grass and the slab. There is nothing stopping the water flowing over it and going between the DPM and the slab. This is the edge you need to protect and ensure a good bond.

Thanks Mellor.

So first, when you say I can bond to the existing flap - would you recommend using something like DPM tape all along the wall that the slab is connected to?

Indeed, that new flap between the grass and the slab is something I was worrying about. I'm still not sure what do do about it wanted to get the slab in first. Initially I was wondering whether I could lap it in under the tiles but I very much doubt I would get this to bond without some kind of glue. Someone suggested some kind of paint on or melt on water proofing that I could potentially use but I have yet to do the research on that.

If you (or anyone) knows of any standard methods that could be used then I'd appreciate any input there.

For a scenario like this, with level indoor/outdoor FFL across a threshold then you should have an ACO type drain on the exterior side to prevent water from getting in.

I would have the DPM coming up and over the the indoor slab and fixing the door frame to that.

I think maybe you misread what I said? I said not to lay them on dabs, i.e. lay them on a solid bed.

Based on the sample picture you share earlier, this is an outdoor space. Its basically a pergola with sides. Trying to make it an indoor space is going to be a problem as you will never the the detailing right. (thermal bridging, DPC edges, etc)

Are you planning to leave the existing sliding doors in the house wall? If so then dont try to make it an indoor space, think of it as a shed.

If you are removing the doors then it 100% needs to be treated as an extension of your house, i.e. an inside space.

• Advertisement

Hi Greebo,

Fair points. Let's just call it a space attached to back of the house that I have spent a long time saving for and have put considerable effort into in an attempt to try to make it as useful as possible for as much of the year as I can, within reason. I would hope I wouldn't end up with something that feels like a shed. I'm aiming for few more levels up on the cosy-ometer.

To achieve that goal I am trying to do what I can up front to take precautions to minimise negative effects of weather where possible and practical.

This is a temporary structure. Down the line when my situation changes I may wan to turn it into a proper conservatory if possible and keep the floor so I'm trying to plan ahead now with that in mind.

The back door remains as it is. The ACO drain at the edge is a good idea but I wanted to avoid that if possible as I think they can be pretty ugly. The other option I could think of was a slot drain but they are difficult access in the case of blockages. I will absolutely consider installing one of these types of drains if I have no other option but at this stage of the process I am trying to focus on what I can account for before pouring the slab as I can't do anything to it after. I have added a 50mm boarder to the edge of the slab in front of the sliding rail in a very basic attempt to buffer the garden from the sliding door rail. I can try to lap the DPM under that and try to tile over it but then I'm presuming the water will be able to get under the outer tiles.

I'm surely not the first to do this though. Perhaps it is just not something that is done in our climate?..….

It's not level with the FFL. It's at a lower level the the FFL, at level of the previous patio.

Regardless, even if it were level with the FFL. It's enclosed and covered. I wouldn't be concerned about water getting all the way up to the door

Hi all,

Had a heavy week there and wasn't logged in. Just to clarify, I'm not worried about water getting into the existing back door. As Mellor has said, the floor for the new space (veranda) is lower than that of the house. It is level with the garden and existing patio. What I'm worried about is the fact that I'm planning to tile this with standard 10mm floor tiles that are rated for both indoor and outdoor use. The main issue I was warned about was water / damp potentially loosening the bond under the tiles or freezing popping them off.

I'm open to anything I can do during construction of the slab to counteract that. I'm looking to pour in the next 2 weeks. Winter is coming!!!

On the topic of DPM, I seem to be having a hard time finding DPM tape. The only DPM specific one I can find is on screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/everbuild-dpm-polythene-joint-tape-black-20m-x-75mm/713fr

(with very mixed reviews)

One hardware suggested Radon Tape - Is that the norm?

Another suggest normal duct tape but that didn't seem right to me.

Advertisement