Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Of course they are right to squirrel away that money, anyone following the US elections will know that some of Trumps policies are to reduce corporation tax even further than he already has in the US to force MNCs to move their headquarters back there. There was insight last week on the effect of even one MNC moving back there, never mind the effect of multiples doing that. If tax receipts drop, there would be a few on here lambasting the Government for not having a contingency fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Maybe investing those surpluses in infrastructure and services might actually lead to the betterment of the country regardless of Donald Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is definitely a saving on margin and marketing but I’m not to sure on VAT because I would imagine that whatever public body is set up will not be tax exempt for vat purposes because it can be argued that they are in direct competition with the private sector…. Yes they could pass legislation to make it specifically exempt but then there is the question of whether that would be allowed under EU rules.

As for finance cost that would still exist and be significant as to pay for the capital expenditure the government would need to issue debt which will impact credit ratings and increase the total cost of existing debt as a result.

As for state land the majority of it will be owned by semi state companies and if they don’t sell it a fair value then they stop operating on a comercial basis which yet again would impact the bond market and make Irish debt more expensive to service.

Just look at the UK and see what how the bond market reacted to the tories plans and you see the results of how the market would react to these changes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭hometruths

As for state land the majority of it will be owned by semi state companies and if they don’t sell it a fair value then they stop operating on a comercial basis which yet again would impact the bond market and make Irish debt more expensive to service.

Just look at the UK and see what how the bond market reacted to the tories plans and you see the results of how the market would react to these changes.

The Tories mini budget spooked bond markets because it consisted of £45bn of unfunded tax cuts with no analysis, the biggest tax cuts since 1972.

Bond markets reacted because of the severe fiscal irresponsibility of the government in the UK.

After all the recent talk of comparing like with like surely this comparison cannot fly.

In this case, currently to provide social housing the government buys a proportion of private developments and pays market rates set by developers.

It's very expensive and increasingly so. And it also makes houses for the private market very expensive and increasingly so.

Alternatively the government could build houses on state owned land, pay a lower cost per unit, and remove itself from competing from private buyers.

And you think this alternative is fiscal irresponsibility comparable with Liz Truss' mini budget that risks the bond market imploding?

Struggling to see your logic here, what am I missing? TBH it just looks like more scaremongering.

Post edited by hometruths on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Villa05

The straws people will clutch at to maintain the current sh*show is amazing

Semi state land: we are talking about un/under used land often brownfield sites worth less than residential zoned land

Competition concerns; private market is catering for the top 10 to 20%. We need markets for other sectors thereby alleviating the pressure on the private market. Are Austrian and Dutch social housing programs in breach of EU law and has the bond market imploded by switching from inefficient to efficient use of land to deliver infrastructure the economy is crying out for to maintain and drive growth in a sustainable fashion. This can easily be done in a manner that is revenue positive for the state and semi state companies with excess under used assets, as many of those in need of affordable accommodation are in median to average salaries.

Was speaking to a renting colleague at work this week and he said Rent Limerick is full of ads from people who have just secured a job in Limerick but are desperate to find accommodation of any sort to take up that job.

Some People here with secure homes are completely detached from the plight of people that are not. They are living in a completely different world, if they could be given campsites on the farmland surrounding the industrial estates, it would be progress

The UK is a product of years of what FFG are currently doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

"The UK is a product of years of what FFG are currently doing"

There is currently talk of building housing on the green-belt around London. The same politicians and civil servants who suggest and pursue this will also claim that they are serious about protecting the environment. Well, what is "greener" than leaving land to nature, I would ask.

The UK is what Ireland is speed-running towards, and if anyone thinks that voting for SF, Irish Labour or any other collection of globalist hacks and/or communists will prevent or reverse what has been done, they have a surprise on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Our housing situation is worse than the UKs and other than that I can't see much similarities in our policies tbh, its a great soundbite though.

The UK implemented the bedroom tax which incentivised more efficient use of existing stock.

FFG copied and pasted the demand side policies, but didn't go near supply side policies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its money the government is currently unable to spend and thats not needed to meet current expenditure - its literally surplus to requirements.

It absolutely shouldn't be used for current, recurring, expenditure but do note that wasn't my (or generally any other commentators on the matter)'s argument in any way.

My point was if/when the construction industry capacity is there to absorb the available surplus revenue its completely possible for it to be used for once off, capital expenditure on things like housing or infrastructure that the currenty sorely needs. And that a lack of is currently be cited as the #1 problem for large MNCs in Ireland, ie is likely to drive them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 GreenPanda99

I was helping a friend fix up and paint his rented house that he was selling. We had taken down the curtains and every single day of the 3 days i was in there helping him people were knocking on the door first and then the windows when they saw us working inside, asking for the landlords number and practically begging us to rent the house to them.

The first day he was caught off guard and he would say yes when asked if he owned the house. The second day he answered by telling them he was only working there. Half way through the third day we put the curtains back up and closed them. It helped a bit but word had got around and people were still coming. Even some who were already there the days before. There must have been 30 people in all who knocked on the window. Most of them wouldnt go away until he came to the window or door either. Some of the stories i heard them giving him would break your heart.

One of the evenings when he brought me for a few pints we got into a conversations about it. He was selling because the rent was so low and he couldnt put it up, tax was too high and generally when he had a very bad tenant he couldnt get rid of them or even get the rent off them. Even when he decided to sell it was a pain to get it empty. And he didnt want those issues again, so he decided it was time to just sell up.

He did say that he would never even think of selling if he could get market rent, to pay for anything he had to put into the house that all cost more nowadays. And if he could always charge market rent and if he had to pay less tax. But also that there would be profit in it for him with less potential disastrous downside. He said it would be a fantastic investment if only he had control over his property. He would quite happily rent it for less money than market to someone who proved to be a good tenant and why would he even need to ask them to move out if they were good tenants and he was making enough to have a profit and keep up the maintenance without having handcuffs on him. It opened my eyes tbh.

Nobody would ever sell an investment property from under a good tenant paying market rent. Why would they? No need. The relationship is good, everyone is happy, no need to sell. Its when they cant rent for what the place is worth, when they cant remove people that arent working out and when they are tied up on their own property if they ever do decide to sell it that is getting to them.

If you had less landlords selling up and happy landlords and tenants matched up then all is good. There would be plenty of rentals. New investors would come in instead of out of the market. No need then for charities and the state to be competing against ftbs for the new build houses that come on the market, so they would be cheaper. Everyone happy renting so not all chasing the few places available which are on the market at huge prices to cover the lack of wiggle room in the rent when they have to move out of the one getting sold because the rent is far too low to make a return on. Good tenants could be rewarded without a landlord suffering when they move out by being locked on the lower rent.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on a Friday morning before work. I could be completely wrong, but i now see both sides of the problem.

• Advertisement

Looks like it's alot worse than what even I was thinking. Thanks for posting

We can do little about what Trump does to encourage MNC back to the US.

What we can do is make it difficult for MNC to leave by delivering affordable housing for their staff, energy, water and transport infrastructure

An LNG facility funded by private sector in Shannon is continually being blocked by this government. A unit of gas that sells in the US for 2 dollars sells in the EU for 8 dollars. I'd imagine it's more in the UK and Irl.

We are where we are but gaining a competitive advantage is delivering basic housing at affordable rates to people earning more than they ever have in the past.

To a logically thinking person, this is an opportunity not a problem. The issue is the system that prevents us seizing the opportunity

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭floorpie

I see people in the thread are still conflating 'demand' (as in supply and demand) with 'people demand houses'. It doesn't matter how badly people want houses, if they can't afford them. If people can't afford them then demand has decreased.

The recent business closures and spates of MNC layoffs in Ireland this year (Intel, Indeed, Salesforce, Microsoft, and on and on) are reminiscent of the euphoric 2007/8 period to me, where certain vested interests were building up the economy and encouraging consumer behaviour, where at the same time, simply looking around told you that something was wrong. Migration patterns will rapidly change in response to any such economic issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

To a point yes, but look at stock levels, they are at record lows.

Coupled with interest rates decling in the ECB, in the short to medium term, we wont see much change I think.

The only thing that would change this is an ecnomic shock like in 2008, but that would have to start in the US first I think.

It would appear that FFG past and present are trying to kill SF reassnoble approach to creating a second tier affordable homes market.

Have we forgotten how to work together to create solutions

However, Mr O’Brien has called on the banks to be transparent in any engagements they have with the largest opposition party on the scheme and whether they would approve mortgages under the scheme.

“I understand that banks have not been able to guarantee that they will lend mortgages under this new proposed scheme, generating major concerns and uncertainty,” he wrote in a letter to Banking and Payments Federation Ireland (BPFI) chief executive Brian Hayes

Fair point but the issue is that the state is shopping in the "premium" market to house those that can't afford rather than creating lower cost alternatives. As above they seem to be objecting and blocking those that do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

US Federal Reserve to start cutting interest rates within a month, by as much as 0.5%. An ECB rate cut in September is also becoming increasingly likely by the day judging from commentary by ECB officials.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/23/fed-chair-powell-indicates-interest-rate-cuts-ahead-the-time-has-come-for-policy-to-adjust.html

Further upward pressure on property prices incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Between state taxes and Trump being limited to four years, I cannot see a great exodus of companies leaving continuity Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I could well be wrong but I don't see spates of lay offs when I look around. In fact hiring people is still a nightmare from my experience this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We also have more people employed in the state than ever before, coupled with the highest value of household wealth ever recorded in ireland.

Isn't it the case that over 40% of home purchases are cash buyers.

As long as supply remains behind demand and barring a huge economic employment shock, prices dont look to be coming down anytime soon.

Lets not forget that the govt paying market rent for tenants whom cannot afford private rents themselves only buoys the situation.

• Advertisement

The whole problem in the housing market starts with rentals and their availability/affordadility.

There is a direct impact to the sales market, should the rental market not be functioning correctly and i think it has been said many times, but squeezing landlords out of the market does nothing at all to help renters or buyers in the long run.

Was your example in a city or a town can i ask?

Great post by the way.

The interest payments on US debt surpassed 1 trillion recently. There going to have to be inventive to maintain that as there does not seem to be any wish from both parties ease up on spending

Lets also not forget that the govt paying market prices for buyers whom cannot afford market prices themselves only bouys market prices

Post edited by hometruths on

We are where we are

Over 40: work from home

Under 40: sleeping pods at work

You could not make it up,

First Home Scheme

The Government of Ireland (Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage), in partnership with Participating Lenders, has introduced a Shared Equity Scheme to help you bridge the gap between your deposit and mortgage, and the price of your new home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 GreenPanda99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I don't think that the state is buying houses for the shared equity scheme. Rather, it's giving people money in exchange for part ownership of the house. The person who lives n the house will be the owner to all intents and purposes. The state is, however, out rightly buying houses and apartments for use for social housing.

Ah yes, that one does help a lot of young folk get on the ladder when they otherwise wouldnt be able to.

I think thats a good thing personally.

• Advertisement

Yep, thats it. But obviously when they buy for social housing the state still own the asset.

I think thats a lo g term strategy now, given that the state build very few new social homes themselves any longer.

The approach i dont agree with is when the councils rent apartments from a developer for social housing. Tax payer foots the bill to rent and at the end of the tenancy, the whole scheme goes back to the developer.

If the council is going to dip into the private market, at least purchase the homes.

Advertisement