Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Summer2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Mean sea level pressure for September. It's often the case that a poor August ( looking likely to be a poor August atm) is followed by a good September. This chart if it is near the mark for September confirms my belief that nothing much will change until that large area of very warm sst's in the Atlantic changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That's for the entire autumn, not September. The individual monthly anomalies come out in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭US3

We will soon be looking at charts for autumn. Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Still plenty of very warm air around...it looks like we will still only get 2 or 3 days of warm weather at a time the same as we were getting all summer no sign of prolonged heat yet....but still chance autumn/September could be the hottest part of the summer we got 30 degrees last September and 23 degrees in October..so still 2 months left to get chance of warm weather if its anything like last year

In about 10 days time a Hurricane tracks close to ireland...there is a chance that if it tracks through the hot air to the south of us before reaching us it could be very dangerous...if it takes the usual track through the cool atlantic air it will just be the usual wind and rain we get…

• Advertisement

Very cold air is starting to return to Greenland next week dragging colder air down into the north atlantic..at the same time there is very warm air coming out of east america and ex Hurricane also pulling up very warm air...this is all colliding and mixing out in the atlantic...its going to create alot of wind and rain…we might get some of it..but its going to get our weather moving and change this weather pattern...it might not be all wind and rain though for us signs of it creating warm weather too as early as the end of the August into September…whatever we end up with the weather is going to change anyway at least

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Very true Hooter. This time of year and through September is very unpredictable. The predicted busy hurricane season this year will leave it even more so. Hurricane debbie already give us the recent plume of warm air and thunderstorms . Hurricane Ernesto looks like giving us a real autumnal swipe next week. I hope one of these hurricanes will buckle up the jetstream and give us a big fat high-pressure.

There's a good article from met eireann on this year's potential busy hurricane season and the effects that they may have on our weather .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Would anyone have a stab at the Coldplay concerts timeframe?

240,000 people in the outdoors praying for warm and sunny evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Coldplay fans might get very lucky indeed considering the summer we've had. ECM, GFS, ICON and GEM are all showing high pressure moving in on Thursday and sticking around for a few days. Don't think it's going to be a scorcher or anything but it looks to be warm and dry at least which is the main thing. Usual caveats apply with FI charts though, it could all easily fall apart as we've seen many times this summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM going for some warmer weather now on a few runs all right, up to the mid 20's in parts, GFS not bad but not as warm on there runs, GEM decent enough but similar temp to the GFS. Will see if it holds the trend. Not devoid of rainfall but should be less than of late out to +240hrs

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭typhoony

Doubt we'll see a return of the Atlantic weather train until mid-September. Indications are that by the end of next week that we'll have the start of a long overdue settled warm spell of weather which could last for 7 to 10 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

First go at forecasting in a while but happy with these charts so will chip in..

18Z GFS and UKMO bring in the high by Friday evening and it's not going anywhere by the end of either run.

ICON and ARPEGE only go to +120hrs but following the same general direction.

Fingers crossed we continue to see consistency for the next 2-3 days to lock it in. Well overdue.

Rain in the east virtually non existent well into FI too.

While I'm a city slicker I'm told that dairy production is way down this year not helped by poor grass growth so this chart below is probably unwelcome for some. Spare a thought for the farmers while sunbathing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

how long would this weather last for lads? It looks like it will start next Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

from early september, untill people come back from their holidays in mid september, roughly around the 12 th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Poor grass growth has largely been down to cooler than normal temperatures at night throughout late spring and summer.

I'd say nearly all farmers will be welcoming this especially the lads with the combine harvesters waiting patiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For me this is 2013 all over again, a very good chance that there will be a decent spell of summer type weather just after I leave the country and it should end just before I return home. However this spell doesn't look like it will deliver anything as warm as what we had last September but low 20s for a week or more is entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Not made with hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I might actually get the kids pool out this year... fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z wobbles on the warm and settled spell from next weekend.

The GEM not as unsettled as the GFS, gets some high pressure towards us but looks a bit flimsy and it's not a warm ridge either with winds from the north-west around the high.

ECM similar to the GEM

The GFS 12z says no to a warm and settled spell, the others tip their toe in the water so I think we need a few more days on this one before we can be confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wouldn't be surprised if the warmer settled spell is a brief affair. I think this Sept will be much more Autumnal then last yr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Can we have a whip around to keep you out of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

Thinking the same from looking at the charts, it doesn't scream 'settled' to me at all, maybe some brief ridges that give some nice warm days but the overall pattern is still turbulent and messy. But then seeing high pressure building anywhere in the north Atlantic is an improvement on the past 12 months so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I can take a shite summer as long as we get some decent white gold over late autumn winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

The warmth will last about 2 or 3 days with temperatures around 20 to 23c . Maybe another 2 days for the East but after this 17 or 18c and staying dry most of the time away from the W and NW where some drizzle will ruin it. Here only the weekend will be good.

you should emigrate if you are looking for that or take a holiday and never come back according to some on this thread!

Someone should tell the scutter press that. Words like September Scorcher are being bandied about this morning!!

There are definitely a few people on here who's lives would be a whole lot better by emigrating to another country for a better climate. Basicially throw a dart at any other point in Europe and your likely to have warmer and dryer summers yet colder winters (Portugal and Scotland obvious exceptions). Portugal and Ireland are the 2 least snowiest countries in Europe. Scotland and Ireland have the coolest summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

for the rain soaked north west these charts look VERY settled to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

According to MT cRANium it will be crap in the west this weekend.

WEEKEND OUTLOOK is relatively pleasant, a front will stall to the west (we hope) and rain from that could brush outer west coast at times with cloudy intervals spreading about one third of the way east towards midlands, but sunny breaks should be fairly frequent in south, east and even parts of north. Lows both days near 12 C and highs 20 to 23 C. 

then again met eireann have forecast max highs of between15/16 for me all week, but his temperature profiles say 18 to 21. those extra 3 degrees must be in some other alternate parrallel world.

Advertisement