Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Daith

They'll complain about traffic either way. The first few days of the Capel St change got a load of ridiculous coverage about gridlocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Would have made a lot more sense to start the quay changes this week alright, so they can be bedded in before next week when little Sorcha and Oisin absolutely must be dropped directly at the schoolgates in the Qashqai!

I'm just back from a work trip to Copenhagen and it was truly depressing going from the well-designed, implemented, and connected public transport there to the absolute mess that is Dublin. I could get from CPH airport to Copenhagen city centre in 20 mins via the driverless, 24/7 metro there. It took me over an hour in a taxi and 40+ odd quid for the same journey in Dublin. Rounded off by the driver getting in a huff when I went to pay by card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I see they've done some new line markings on Bachelors Walk and the south of O'Connell Bridge already.

Forgot this is actually happening on the Sunday not Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thomas St? Guinness trucks would be heading for Victoria Quay surely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We get a real look into the future this weekend with College Green closed off.

Buses on circuitous diversions this evening differnt to the guide on the app, people waiting at stops that won't be served, asking others if they know anything or have the app, tourists trying to stop southbound buses on Westmoreland St trying to go north.

Post edited by dfx- on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

But When it's permanent there'll be proper stops and no confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I'm probably missing something obvious (I'm not a regular city center driver) but I cannot figure out how a private car can get from the port / IFSC to Heuston if it cannot proceed straight on O'Connell Bridge and cannot make a left turn from Westmoreland St?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

IFSC, head for Sherriff Street, left into Portland Row onto the NCR. Only thing is that route will be used by a lot more people.

And the hope would be people would decide getting the Luas or public transport would be better for that route.

• Advertisement

Obviously very early days and lots of bedding in to do, but so far a good few private cars are just crossing the bridges.

Did see one driver in the left hand lane on Bachelor's Walk continue on and then turned right onto O'Connell Bridge crossing two lanes. But maybe in that case there's more going on with that driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Nice balanced piece here from the Irish Times. Better than that, actually it's quite positive about the changes and supportive of the reasons behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I heard on the radio they said loading bays wouldn't be affected, does that mean I can still drive onto burgh key to use the loading bays along it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not overly up to date with the changes but allowing left turn onto O'Connell Street?

That can already be very congested with bus traffic and any disruption to Luas services by something blocking a yellow box and casuing a tram to miss a sequence.

How is this expected to cope with car traffic or is the hope there will be minimal car traffic?

The only reason that left turn is still there for private traffic is because of Arnotts Car Park. It's very irritating.

And yes, I suspect O'Connell St North is going to suffer a bit. Cars from both sides of the quays can access it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was aware of the car park left turn but does the current changes allow any car's turn left now or just those parking?

Oh it allows all cars to turn left. So you now have cars allowed onto O'Connell St North from Bachelors Quay, Burgh Quay and Westmoreland St.

It's already busy enough with the cycle lane and Luas, so going to be interesting enough once these changes bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

From what I can see, North King St and Queen St near Smithfield is going to get a lot busier with people leaving the N1 to cross Mellow St bridge to get to the quays and continue west.

I foresee bedlam at the top of O’Connell Street turning left onto Parnell St. with the Luas that’s heading for Broombridge as the yellow. Ices May be filled with irritated drivers. It’s already chockablock at times, but now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Parnell st is a nightmare. Only solution is a car ban from Princes St northwards.

• Advertisement

I have just seen the news at one on Tv and some guy from DCC specifically said these moves are necessary to stop the cars & delivery vans driving straight through.

I’m a delivery driver who has deliveries in Dublin City. Why am I penalised?

Yeah me too. Very hard to get answers as to how we access the loading bays on the south quays, do we go through temple bar? Sounds like it's going to create rat runs and queues of traffic trying to access the alternative routes. I understand they are trying to encourage public transport but some vehicles need to be in the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep, looks very much like a case of diverting traffic up OConnell st, so it and Parnell St will likley become congested at peak times.

This will then block the Luas and the buses at the northern end of OConnell St.

Looks like the council may have just pushed the bottleneck from the Quays to the top of Oconnell St/ Parnell St.

For example I deliver to Pearce street fire station then my next delivery is Diageo on Victoria quay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Could cars get back out of Arnotts car park if that were the case?

If OCS was blocked at Princes St.

Yeah, the exit from Arnotts is on Abbey St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Google maps says to use Fleet Street and back onto the quays via Price's Lane or Bedford Row, however there is a no left turn from Westmoreland onto Fleet Street as per the new traffic plan, except for access and deliveries.

You could argue you are attending to business in there, maybe print off a delivery/collection docket, stop for 2 or 3 minutes and carry on on your way.

Yep but why send traffic through fleet street instead of just allowing vans down burgh key. Fleet street is always quite busy with pedestrians and tourists so not the best place to be sending commercial vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

I agree, but they won't change it now so just have to work around the new rules

Advertisement