Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The keepers really made a big difference in this game. Reya keeps it 0-0 with a huge save and then Martinez fumbles one in to go two behind and put the game beyond Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rode their luck Arsenal, or you could say having a world class keeper is essential in mounting a title challenge.

You go away to any side in this league, and you expect to have to defend and make saves, if you're good enough to do that you can then win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The Martinez criticism is harsh. He can’t see anything through Pau unfortunately.

Great away victory, Arsenal face Villa today, then Brighton, Spurs, Man City , Leicester, Southampton, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Forest, WH, Man U. Tough 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No he shouldn't. He's a great man to come in when you need a goal but he's not a team player. He's very greedy with the ball which is something you don't want unless you really need a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a massive win for Arsenal.

They were second best for large spells, and rode their luck, but still came out on top. That Aston Villa performance would beat a lot of teams.

Big physiological boost after losing their last year. Wining away at a CL club too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Interesting stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Everton play a real dogs**t style of football. They’ve been playing it since Dyche arrived. It’s putrid stuff, hoof after hoof after hoof. I know the resources available are limited, but if they had more money they’d just buy players that can win more headers. If they go, they won’t be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The stats would tell a different story.a few glimpses on the counter that lead to some clear cut chances is all that happened for Villa and they lacked the ambition to go for the game. For the vast majority of that game Arsenal controlled it easily.

• Advertisement

Which stats? Villa created the best chances of the game (higher xg to back it up) but Arsenal were clinical and Villa were wasteful.

Didn't Sky give Raya the MOTM?

Personally, I thought that Rodgers looked very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's good to see Emery finally get the credit he deserves these days, great manager, who never got the credit he deserved for what he did at Valencia.

He was a victim of his own success at Valencia. Valencia generally the 3rd best team in Spain, often the best, in the early 00s. But by 08 the money had gone, and the players being sold, in huge debt, but for most of his tenure kept them where they were, which was unbelievable.

And because of that, fans still expected Valencia to push on and overtake Barca and Madrid, not realizing the trouble the club was in, as Emery had kept them at that level, rowing against the tide.

How it ended for him there leaves a bitter taste, despite the incredible job he did, and to this day, never got the credit for it tbh

Arsenal had much more possession than Villa. Had more shots, more shots on target. Overall they were in control of the game except for a few very isolated situations. The difference in XG was minimal by the way.

This is a very long way of saying that Arsenal had more of the ball and more shots, but that Villa created a higher quality of chance for their shots, and yet Arsenal were more clinical with their chances.

Which is basically what I said in the first place, but sure look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Won't every other team's next 3 months be similar considering that's the majority of the teams in the league though?

How many more shots on target? How many more shots?

If I told you Villa half more shots, had three shots on target and one off the post compared to Arsenal's four on target would you call that a major difference?

Funny the way you claim Arsenal had more shots, untrue, and one more shot on target and make a big deal of it and then say the difference in xG was minimal when it was 1.35 Vs 1.13.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Villa should take a lot of encouragement from that game in fairness. They went toe to toe with a very solid and consistent Arsenal side who have dropped very few points in the past two seasons. On another day even one of those Watkins chances goes in as well and it's a completely different game.

Yet to be seen how they will handle the extra fixtures and being in the CL itself (Newcastle most spectacularly shat the bed over it last year) but with Emery in charge they're in a good place regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

whose misbehaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

bit of an OTT statement there. "howler" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Looks like Ipswich are signing players to bounce straight backup next season.

There are enough ropey looking games for them to just need to win a few more of the fine margin games than expected and be ok.

With Leicester having expected points deductions also, can’t imagine 40 will be needed this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah thats true and Everton looking terrible too. Could be between them 2 and saints for last 2 spots assuming Leicesters deduction. Although I think Leicester would have finished last anyway.

• Advertisement

35 generally keeps you up the last decade or so. There's even been a couple of seasons where 29 would keep you up.

The PL has improved a lot at the top half. The top clubs seem to compete for the CL most years now, but even the teams from 5th-8th are doing well in Europe too. The gulf to the bottom clubs is getting larger though.

I believe 34 points is the least a team has ever stayed up with and that was in 2004. Am I way off the mark?

Excluding last seasons freakshow I mean obv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Fantastic first half in Wolves/Chelsea, Wolves look great breaking forward in numbers and the crowd roaring them on makes for a great atmosphere. So often the crowd is muted on TV. Great finish by Palmer for Chelsea's second but I fancy Wolves to pinch this. Hope it's more of the same second half.

I looked at it from the POV of points the last relegated team had, and added on 1 as points required to stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

2nd half has started exactly as the 1st finished. With a goal

This time for Chelsea. Wolves were 7v2 and still Chelsea managed to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Insane how injury prone Lavia looks - finally came into the starting 11 last week after missing his whole first year, was their best midfielder, and now straight back out injured again.

Its funny how people are writing off Ipswich based on an away game to Liverpool and a home game against City.

It might be a good idea to settle down until they meet sides at their own level.

I'm pretty confident they will be a lot better than people think.

Bournemouth win it at the end!

EDIT: VAR'd out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Caustic

Feels a bad decision there, the defender jumps into him for a start and definitely moves his arm, plus it's quite high up near the shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

how is that not a red for joelinton? effing ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Don't see how they reach that decision based on the angle we saw. Looked like it maybe even came off the Newcastle shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Caustic

Sends off the Bournemouth coaching staff and not joelington just awful few minutes for thr officials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

David Coote really is a terrible official.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Electric counterattack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Jota is an absolutely brilliant player. Makes such a difference when he’s fit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super quick counter attack and a very fine finish by Diaz - not always something he has proven to be good at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A fairly comfortable if mundane home win for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Not the high tempo exciting Klopp style. But less gung ho, going behind to lower teams and chasing goals. Looked solid .

I thought Nathan Collins played very well, signs of the defender we were hoping he would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

One thing I've noticed from Liverpools first 2 games is they still miss an awful lot of chances. They could have easily scored 5 in both games so far, obviously it didn't matter in the end, but i felt that poor execution in front of goal cost them last season at key moments.

They are playing a lot more aggressively in the final third. It'll click into gear as the season goes on. You don't get much of the passing around the box looking for openings, they just go for it. Chemistry is the key to it working and that'll come in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do others think Maupay was right to complain about getting verbal abuse at the train station? He's complaining it shouldn't be considered as normal. But I wonder does he think that getting paid £50,000 a week is normal? I don't think it's ok if any of the abuse was personal or about relatives, eg. 'you're a ****'. But if the abuse was along the lines of 'you played sh1t today', then I think he has to accept that's part of the £50,000 a week package.

• Advertisement

That's the way things are going these days. We have strong support for preventing racial and LGBTQ abuse, which needed to be done. Next up is the obese but any abuse is concerned intolerable nowadays.

I'd personally just laugh at it but a lot of people get upset very easily today.

Advertisement