Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

As far as I'm aware this was a introduced by DCC without any consultation with AGS

Given the riots of last November and also general issues in the city centre, I don't expect AGS for one second to be enforcing this.

Plus, there's actually a loophole anyway already on DCCs map. Coming from Westmoreland at, simply take a left onto Fleet St, and a right back onto Aston Quay. If stopped further down Aston Quay, you were simply using "access"/fleet st carpark.

We complain about all sorts of issues within the city centre, and as a business owner here having talked to a few people, I don't want a state body creating another "offence" without consultation with another state body.

To put it simply, there's enough issues in the city centre. And to introduce another hoop to enforce and expecting the guards to deal with it is crazy. Theres less Guards in Dublin 2 than 5years ago and way less than 10years ago. The quays are in a jocker drug user wise. Templebar is a state. And drug dealing near the Stephen's green Luas is crazy. I see the guards attempting to tackle an issue near my place there (albeit the courts need to follow up)

If you think for a second that I'm willing to let what little there is to cover a traffic stop on Aston Quay, you're mistaken.

I support road safety. But I support the decision of AGS to ignore this one if necessary.

If the council are going to introduce it they should enforce it via camera and a fine in the post. (Who's the big shot who decided on this plan for their own CV without thinking of installing a camera I wonder?)

The guards have enough to be looking at. Particularly in an area with low risk of actual road deaths, and more a case of introduction for the sake of politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭markpb

AGS have nationally given up enforcing most Road Traffic Act offences (with an occasional exception for speeding) and pay even less attention to any regulations introduced by DCC. Why would anyone consult with them when they have no interest or capacity to do anything about it?

And let’s not even pretend that it’s just a capacity issue! The guards have an organisational blind spot for RTA offences, believing them to be victimless crimes and openly despising the Road Traffic unit when they attempt to enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ags gave up on enforcing all laws driving related or not. Unless you were murdered or raped. No point talking to ags, they will just say, aw you're fine now. Even if you think you might be murdered in the immediate future, don't waste your past bit of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

These changes are stupid. Why are they sending cars up O'Connell Street now. Oh we'll take cars out of Eden Quay and put them up O'Connell Street and make O'Connell Street a sh!tshow rob Peter to pay Paul basically. Why not stick to the original plan and turn the cars up Jervis Street.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Gardaí don’t need to be consulted on something like this, it is their job to enforce the law and this is now the law for this location.

I think some people are in denial about this being enforced. While they certainly won’t be there all the time, they will be there from time to time directing people and eventually most likely fining people.

This has gotten so much media attention, the Gardai will likely be directed to do so by the government.

While not enough, I have often seen the Gardai on the College Green bus gate, pulling people over and at other hot spots like the Swords Road bus lane, etc.

Of course the real long term solution is camera enforcement. It will come eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Consonata

These measures have nothing to do with road safety. They were introduced because the quays, Eden and Aston in particular, are a sh1t show for buses trying to transit through the city. Vastly more people travel by bus along the quays than by car, and it isn't even close.

These measures are an attempt to be able to increase frequency to high demand bus routes in the absence of a metro or other similar high capacity public transport lines. Eden Quay bus stop is the highest used **public transport** stop of any mode in the country! That the same buses had to share space with private cars was always a farce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

it was just asking for trouble to implement this on the same week that school traffic will come back. Fully expect the media to have a field day in a few hours time.

Post edited by GoldFour4 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭Daith

Lots of cars continuing straight ahead from Bachelors Walk. Some seemingly wanting to do a right hand turn to O'Connell Bridge based on their indicators which isn't going well for them.

Be curious what it's like in the evening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭Allinall

After a while, when people get used to the changes, cars that don’t need to access O’Connell St will avoid the area altogether, which is the whole idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 86eoin

Cycled north quays this morning and crossed O'Connell Bridge around 0745. Very quiet - almost felt like a Bank Holiday. The absence of tracks was very noticeable. Buses were flying down the quays !

Didn't see any cars drive straight through and I did spot a Guard at the other side of the bridge presumably to catch cars who try drive through. Initial feedback is positive so far but it will need enforcement to ensure compliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The state broadcaster is already spreading misinformation

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0825/1466567-dublin-city/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,823 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can't understand why the country keeps avoiding the real conversation that needs to be had.

Why do so many children suddenly need to be driven to school. It seems to be a bigger contributor to traffic than work is these days and it's changed drastically in 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Live report on Morning Ireland just now - all quite positive, things are going well so far they say.

The general vibe was early days but so far this is going great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭Daith

Tbf, it's not like the restrictions are that crazy. They're very watered down and quite minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I've heard staff from some of the bigger retailers saying their largest spend is often from people driving into the city centre, sometimes driving from outside the city altogether.

Rearranging the car parks is fine, but dont remove overall spaces or access.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can that be independently verified? I don't recall ever being asked when in town shopping as to how I arrived in town!

I'd also be conscious that some of the large retailers also own car parks. In addition, many of those who make the choice to drive into the city centre do so because public transport can be slower (often as a result of delays caused by private car drivers).

Horsesht. Staff in larger retailers in the city centre generally have no clue how the customer got there or where they came from.

Who the hell has the kind of conversation with staff in a large retailer that would divulge that information.

Utter bollix.

Yep, the Underground would compliment the bus network. But it would mean we arent so reliant on the bus network and we wouldnt be making all transport decisions based on bus routes.

There was a transport analyst on the radio recently who was saying the same thing. Buses are not the answer and we shouldnt be building our whole PT framework around them.

You keep banging on about the metro and while one would be great, you seem to have an illusion that a network is easily affordable and wouldn't take long to construct. Either way, it has nothing to do with the current discussion.
    Did the transport analyst also comment on our existing general vehicular access across the city as that would be more relevant to the thread?

I am only reiterating what I have been told by staff members on occassion.

Either way, making it more difficult for any group of customers to arrive to the store isn't going to help sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

be fun on Thursday & Friday with Coldplay in Town.

Well if your not talking bullsht then they are.

Convenient how people get into exactly the conversations they want to hear.

And making it more difficult for one group can be a very good thing if it makes it easier for the much larger group. The anti pedestrianisation scaremongers have been proved wrong over and over on this.

Currently one could claim that things are made more difficult to those who arrive by bus. Using your logic, things should improve for them and subsequently the retailers now that bus access will be improved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭howiya

Any discussion on where shoppers came from is likely on the basis of delivery addresses for bulkier items and occurring during the time it takes to input all the relevant details. It won't be relevant for the majority of sales.

I agree with you that it is neither cheap nor fast to implement.

It would have been nice to have seen more progress on it to date though and it really is the only solution, especially if population growth estimates are accurate.

My main point is that we shouldnt restrict car shoppers in the city centre and hope/expect them to be replaced by bus passengers.

Make the routes for buses more streamlined, of course. And if that means drivers have to drive for a little longer, then ok. But I wouldnt favour an approach where we reduce car parking spaces and access overall.

It's far more likely it's just a made up story.

And the same logic applies the other way around also.

The optimal is surely to keep both groups happy and have both groups arrive to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 scrabtom

@BlueSkyDreams

The government knows as well as everyone else does that we can't rely on buses forever. That's why they're moving forward with Metrolink, Dart Plus, Luas Finglas etc. Unfortunately these things take a long time to build in Ireland so we can't just do nothing until they arrive.

I agree with you that it is neither cheap nor fast to implement.

It would have been nice to have seen more progress on it to date though and it really is the only solution, especially if population growth estimates are accurate.

You have repeatedly posted about how public transport improvements (such as the one that this thread is about) shouldn't happen and we should focus on building a metro which is quite a naive view - one which coincidentally is supported by those who want to keep the car-dominant status quo.

My main point is that we shouldnt restrict car shoppers in the city centre and hope/expect them to be replaced by bus passengers.

This is quite evident from your posts to be honest! However, this idea that we can have unlimited drivers travelling into our city centre and collectively delaying those who choose efficient transit methods is not one that can continue.

Furthermore, on any given day, more people can travel into the city by bus than by car. Surely those you spoke to in the retail business would prefer to have potentially more customers coming into the city, no?

Make the routes for buses more streamlined, of course. And if that means drivers have to drive for a little longer, then ok. But I wouldnt favour an approach where we reduce car parking spaces and access overall.

The aim is not to make drivers drive for a little longer. It is to discourage those who make the choice to drive (in limited space) rather than take a more sustainable and efficient form of transport.
    If we have less people making the choice to drive into the city centre, then there will be less need to have parking spaces. Nonetheless, on-street parking spaces in many cases is now considered an inefficient form of road-space allocation when compared to the many alternative uses.

Edit: typos

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Advertisement

Nobody is stopping both groups arrive to shop and it is duisingenuous to suggest this is happening.

What is happening is that road space is being reallocated towards the more efficient transit methods and deallocated away form the less efficient. People can still drive into the city centre and there are no plans to stop this. They just can't drive everywhere the want!

Advertisement