Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

sitting out the back in shorts and a t shirt in south Dublin with blue Sky's above me and high white clouds- but it is feckin windy.
    Eirgrids wind records must be broken for August at this stage, the wind just hasn’t let up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

When it comes to thunderstorms, how many would you say you get per year? And roughly which part of Spain are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭HBC08

There was an official heatwave in Sept 2023,I'd definitely take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Edgardo.

I am in Madrid Central. We choose here first to check out the capital (it's fantastic) but our next move will be Málaga.( Probably Benalmádena )

We have lived in Manly in Sydney and Devonport in Auckland which we love ,so Malaga is the closest lifestyle place to them. ( only one way to find out)

Think we had one thunderstorm. Madrid is very dry so, no humidity, no storms.

Weather is breaking this week. Highs of 32. Perfect with the dry heat.

Post edited by Edgardo. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

our climate is painful, I’ve spent the weekend trying to fix the garden with bamboo canes and twine but even that doesn’t work with the relentless wind, I wonder sometimes why I bother trying to grow stuff. The sea area forecast says winds decreasing but it seems to be the opposite. Cold and windy today, hard to believe it’s 16c.

One thing that puts me off Spain is the poor service, you sit down to have a drink, you’re more often than not ignored, you finally order and your drinks don’t arrive. Ask for your bill it doesn’t arrive so you have to ask again. This has happened to me so many times it is not a generalisation. Give me an Irish pub any day where you order your drink and pay .. thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It’s like October out there, brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Did the Longford half marathon this morning, brutal wet cold conditions. Came back home (south Dublin), yeah there was a bit of drizzle for a bit, different country it seems.

Pleasant evening with milky sun and around 18c right now here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

Some charts are suggesting a very settled spell from next weekend.

Certainly looks to last a few days.

Any more experienced people here shine any light on this?

(Have a golf competition 5-8th in Donegal)

a pattern change seems odds on now with charts showing consistency, I know I bang on too much about the St Swithin weather lore but it cannot be ignored as it is such an accurate way of predicting the weather pattern from mid July to the end of August - seldom wrong.

I mentioned this possibility back on page 101 and followed up on 103. Here's what I had to say about it. Not sure if it's really the reason, but I suspect it is :-

Page 101

“I've a feeling early September will bring at least a short settled spell and reasonable temps. There is some consensus in the models that HP will try to move closer, and the jet stream will change orientation and weaken a little.”

Page 103

“I also aluded to this a number of posts back. I think as the US cools over the next few weeks this will weaken the jet stream and as a result will allow HP to push over us more. I also think that this might be a trend in some of our summers going forward. The US has been hot this year, and I believe the temp gradient between the US and northern Canada helps to boost the jet stream. If the US continues to see really hot summers, I suspect we will pay the price. Obviously some years will buck the trend.”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can't remember the last time I've seen an August day as dark as today, it's like November out there today with lights on since the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just for the craic my electricity is gone and won't be back until at the earliest 11pm tonight.

The winters day that just keeps on giving!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mykrodot

South Kerry was blessed this weekend. Like @Meteorite58 I was on Valentia (today) and it was simply beautiful. A swim at a very calm and sheltered Glanleam then on to Valentia Lighthouse and the Bray Head Loop walk. The wind was pretty bad but it didn't' spoil the day! However sea temperatures this week seem to have dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Butson

So bad for our mental health in this country. I have family home from Spain and Australia at the moment. Both commenting how stifling the grey blanket constantly over our heads is. Depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya not great to have the heat on in August but when it's 12c by day and 6c by night you've no choice. Turning it off soon as this is the 1st year ever I've put it on in August. Usually not this cold till the end of October.

Rainfall of 151.5mm now for August. 180mm was the wettest of 2024. Can't remember which month that was. March? Nearly 200mm of rain in Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Jesus Gonzo, you'll definitely never see a snow flake again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rained nearly all day in Leitrim. Windy and dark. I've give up on the garden. Flowers ruined by rain and wind. Ground saturated. I really don't know why I bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been raining for approx 90% of the day, and it's very heavy now, and meant to last good part of the night.

This year is a particularly bad one in the NW of the country. This is one of our worst August's even as bad as many of the many bad ones. Of the last 25 August's wev had 2 good ones one reasonable one and the rest absolute shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jaysus don't know how your surving this summer in NW with that amount of rain. At least August was dry and warm enough here in East until it took a turn for the worst last week.

Thank god our electricity came back after 3 hours at 8pm, but a bleak night out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A higher chance of seeing snow in Spain than in Ireland most winters! On the south coast of Spain obviously not but go a bit inland and higher up and there is snow there most winters.

The hot summers and still very warm and sunny Autumns and Springs is a huge bonus compared to here along with Thunderstorm potential. It rarely gets windy and usually when it does the wind feels like a hairdryer. A chance I could get a thunderstorm or 2 there next Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

looking at the vuelta d’espana today in Granada and the place gets some scorching. Looks almost inhospitable

Saw on Rte we are forecast some fine next weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice day her near Tralee with good levels of sunshine after early morning cloud broke up, felt much warmer than yesterday getting up to 18.4C.

70 out of 85 days this Summer cooler than the long term average. Highest temperature 23.9c in May. Highest temperature in "Summer" 23.1c

Rainfall 60 to 70mm both June and July

Rainfall 152mm usual monsoon August. ....so far. Likely to finish near 200mm

… in the east there’s a soil moisture deficit of 50mm according to the farming forecast on RTE today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was reaching 70mm last week before the weather became worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Im afraid I have to disagree Metorite58 and it's yet another example of how we all perceive weather differently. I wouldn't rate today in Tralee as a nice day. Pretty miserable morning, very windy up to mid afternoon and while it did improve as the day went on it was only an ok day at best, imo. I've been back here since Thursday, a particularly bad day. It's been better since, as in more bright spells, but nowhere near summery and spells of rain always close by. South and west Kerry may indeed have fared better than Tralee as it often does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was in west Kerry for the weekend. The weather was very mixed but we got to the beach in sunshine every day. Lots of swims and windy walks. Saw more sunshine than we’ve had in south east generally. It was great.

Spent three weeks in France and I really love the hot weather but would find it hard to work or do much activity in it.

• Advertisement

Exactly what I was thinking too. Parts of Spain have a better chance for snow each year than Ireland

Advertisement