Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trump given out about people being interviewed by "lightweight reporters" is peak Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bartkingcole

It is very difficult to get agreement on domestic policy reforms in the US - you need to have stars aligned with a majority in both the House and the Senate - and even then in can be difficult to get major reforms though (for example the Biden Administration was unable to get global tax reforms it spearheaded through a Congress the Dems controlled). This is not helped by the polarisation of politics there and very few in the middle willing to cross the aisle. However, a US President has a strong foreign policy role - a bad President can do enormous damage and create international instability.

For this reason alone, Harris should be a welcome choice for many - the transatlantic partnership, commitment to multilateralism including the Paris agreement, commitment to NATO, commitment to a two state solution, appointment of a strong Secretary of State and some continuity from the Biden administration can go a long way. The ability of Trump to driver international instability is why more and more business money is flowing into the Harris campaign even if on paper they would lean towards GOP policies.

On domestic policies, some of her economic proposals including increasing the corporate tax rate to 28% and the introduction of a wealth tax will never be agreed but are needed to keep some of the left leaning Dems interested. The big economic elephant in the room is that some provisions of TCJA are due to lapse with increased tax rates in 2026 - this was Trump’s only significant domestic achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

But can she fix dictators with a hard stare and say, "Way" after they say, "No way"?

Yes. Why not? She will likely have a strong G7 with her which Trump would not have. And if there is some continuity with the likes of Sullivan and Blinken (as well as the career civil servants below them) then she will be well guided.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

34 times convicted felon wonders why a former DA could run for President…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If he does it will leave Harris with the perfect opportunity that nobody really has had before to fact check everything he said at fox and explain why her ideas are sensible and based in reality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because he is the mastermind of the "do everything possible to hamstring Ukraine in defending themselves" strategy because he **** his pants at the ridiculous notion of Russian red lines and retaliation and escalation.

Thankfully most accounts suggest she wants to get rid of Blinken and Sullivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'd be inclined to keep Blinken.

• Advertisement

was it not that the US administration was canvassing support for Ukraine months ahead of the invasion itself and have been advocating to Congress to provide support? There is no black and white, and Putin is not the most predictable so caution was understood.

But I am only an interested observer - if you have insider knowledge knowing who the actors were, who was advocating caution in the room as opposed to be the public face of it etc. then I bow to your superior knowledges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

A lot of swing voters will be interested in that debate. If Trump backs out, it will be a PR nightmare for him and the Harris campaign will crucify him for being too afraid to debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Depends how they calculate it.

Would more damage be done with Trump showing up to the debate going full conspiracy racist loon than not showing up at all?

It is now without doubt that his campaign team cannot manage him and keep him on message, as he keeps telling us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No doubt the Harris team will line up, trigger points for the debate, since he can't help himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭md23040

Maybe he’ll use the old bone spurs excuse for ducking a debate with a female of low intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Given all the interest in the bookies and the election results with those who bet, are they taking bets on if trump will attend the debate or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Keeping up the tradition of killing the Kennedy name in politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rawr

Now that would be an interesting bet.

I can't say myself, with any amount of certainty that he'll turn up at the agreed debate. My gut says that he'll turn up at the FOX one (that's been set up as a Trump Rally), and then retaliate about Harris' absense by not turning up at the agreed debate.

Problem is, Trump's MAGA Rally debate is not going to sway anyone he needs to sway. It'll be a MAGA "Love-in" and everyone there or watching will likely vote for Trump anyway. I'd also like to see the odds on a bet of them inventing a converted "Democrat" to speak at this rally.

The reason I can't safely bet on this is that his people might plead with him enough to agree to the actual debate. His team must know that if they are to have any chance in this election, he must debate Harris. The Fox News thing is not going to be a debate, it's going to be a typical Trump rant and people are bored of that now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed and on top of that , the ratings will anger him immensely.

Fox News is a Cable news channel and whilst it's the big dog there a Trump stand-alone "interview" with Hannity isn't going to get much more than Hannity usually gets in terms of viewers.

ABC as a regular "network" channel will get a lot more , because they do anyway and a Harris interview will attract more independent and undecided voters because they will want to hear what she has to say.

No one seeing a "Hannity interviews Trump" promo is going to think "Must tune into to that, Trump might have something new/interesting to say".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If anything, Trump is totally 'over' exposed. Worked well for him in 2016, but this is eight years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

No one seeing a "Hannity interviews Trump" promo is going to think "Must tune into to that, Trump might have something new/interesting to say".

I dunno, depends on the promo…

I picture it now…

Dramatic music

A stadium is in the dark, the lights comes on to reveal a boxing ring.

Commentator, "In the Red corner, from Mar a Lago, Florida, Via New York, New York, weighing in at 215 pounds, is Mr MAGA himself, the 45th President of The United States of America and main contender for the 2024 US Presidency, Mr. Donald J. TRUUUUUUUUUMP"

Trump appears, in his suit, with a pair of red boxing gloves on, and gets into the ring, shadowboxing.

Commentator, "And in the Blue corner… (silence) And in the Blue corner?… (Silence) I'm sorry folks, erm, the blue contender has refused to engage with her opponent in the red corner. This round goes to Mr. Donald J Trump, 45th President of The United State of America". The referee (Sean Hannity) lifts Trumps arm up in victory.

Trump to turns to Hannity, "She's not coming? Ok. OK. Let's take these off"

Voiceover, "Join us on Sept 10th for a one to one interview in the ring with Sean Hannity and Donald Trump…

But this time, the gloves are off."

Man, even I might tune in for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think this is key. 9 years. And Trump has never stopped campaigning. I felt people were tired of the circus back in 2920 and now have had to sit through 4 years of whining.

Obama said it in his speech. The billionaire that constantly complains about his problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Both sides disagreeing over the ABC debate rules.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/08/26/politics/trump-harris-september-debate/index.html

Surprisingly enough, it's Harris who is arguing that microphones should be live the whole time, rather than mics muted when the other is answering. Seems like Harris' side is banking on Trump not being able to stop himself from interrupting, making Harris look more Presidential and likely giving her the chance to point out how he can't control himself.

Trump's side arguing that the rules should be the same as the previous debate with Biden.

I can see the points being made by Harris' team, but also not sure if this is the hill they should want to die on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Or is it a double bluff by the Harris team? Trump has now supported muted mics, gotcha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

His people are pleading with him to do a lot of things but he isn't listening to them.

Regarding fox.

If harris does attend but fox allow him to just rant and ramble like a rally it doesn't look good to any independents.

If fox do actually run a proper debate and harris performs well, the rants about them being part of the msm fake news cabal start again, which again doesn't look good to any independents.

If harris doesn't attend and they just let him ramble and rant like a rally, it doesn't look good to any independents.

Either of the above and you have the motivated ignorant etc who support him saying how well he did and how bad/scared harris is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Mad not muting the mics- Harris will respond in kind to Trump given enough rope - she needs to win over new voters and undecided - Trump will do what Trump usually does- his target audience will be swing voters - dizzying Harris when speaking will go in Trumps favour overall - he knows that game well and has played it often enough - carefully rehearsed safe responses is what Harris needs here - the “unknowns” of a live mic throughout are too risky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

she destroyed pence because the mics weren’t muted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pence isn't Trump though. Pence was likely reciting prayers in his head half the time because a woman was talking to him without having gotten permission from her local priest.

When Trump debated Hillary, he muttered a few jabs while she was answering some questions which got a lot of attention and went fairly viral (even though the basis of them were nonsense). He knows how to get the soundbite.

That said, Kamala also isn't Hillary, and I'd say she'd be more capable of bouncing something back at Trump and not allowing him to dominate the conversation even if he did interrupt. It's a fairly key skill you'd have to have as a prosecutor & attorney, to both bait the witness into slipping up and then hammering them for it, while still getting your point across to the jury.

Advertisement