Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It would frighten the wasps away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Well, I have seen (I believe commonly used term is unwell) person taking his score to the machine. Most if not all of the stuff he tried to redeem for cold hard cash most likely came from waste bins. Smell and unidentifiable stuff which was caked all over his valuable cargo and dripping and falling out everywhere was well, unidentifiable but a good repellent.

I was not the only one who turned away. Dunno how often they come for their earnings but I would consider it a tough line of work to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, wherever it's ending up, their reticence certainly shows they have something to hide. Otherwise, you can bet your last can of coke they'd be crowing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The other evening the first machine refused all the plastic bottles too heavy regardless of size. It's only one machine. Took the cans. €4..

2nd place queue of 3 first guy had a black bag full to get through. Other machine not working.

3rd place queue of 4 first guy with another massive bag. Only one machine.

Came home chucked all the plastic bottles in the green bin.

I was on the fence about it originally. Lost interest in now. I don't have space to store them, don't want to do the rescam relay trying to get rid of them.

They should have put the effort into reducing packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,335 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

In Derry Home Bargains and B&M are about 100 yards apart. I dip into B&M for a snoop regularly but always seem to come back to Home Bargains for most things. B&M do have a much better selection of painting / DIY products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,335 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha it's the same in Newry! We head up for pet food in pets at home (lots cheaper) then pop into both B&M (great for random sweets) and home bargains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Wouldn't the bin companies have their own stats backed up by invoices ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

Of course they would but they are hardly likely to release it to the public.

• Advertisement

Why not ?

The public which includes their customers who they are using to put pressure on the Minister for compo.

If they are not shy about threatening a price increase to get their way they shouldn't be shy about providing justification.

What statistics do you want?

There was daily and monthly collection figures given on this thread a while back.

If you search back you might find what you want.

Re-turn aren't threatening to take money out of your bank account like the bin companies are.

I would not throw them in a bin though.

That way you are doing exactly what they planned all along. If you are tired of waiting in a queue or not bothered then just hand bag of them to any beggar or homeless person on the street or leave them in a bag outside place with machines. Someone will take them and will wait.

You are practically handing your money to rescam so if you are decided to forego deposit then hand them over to someone, anyone but not rescam.

How much deposit was collected for starters and where is collected material sent and how it is processed/recycled.

Simple questions.

Quite right not to bin them, they have value.

Handing them to random people based on their appearance isn't such a good idea though.

You have no idea if they will return the containers or litter them

Not all collectors look the same anyway.

I've seen people who don't fit your profiling collecting cans.

Leaving bags on the ground outside shops is an offence under the Litter Act.

You're on the right track as far as Re-turn goes.

In their public statements they keep urging people to return and collect their deposits.

They are in the targets business and their success will be measured by the percentage collected.

No harm in asking.

I can only help in a limited way.

Everything collected goes to the depot in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭bmc58

Same in my local TWO Dunnes shops.Always "Contact staff" message on display.The people are getting fed up already.More cans will be going to the bins again.The scam is begining to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

6 euro 49 cents in Lidl for 12 cans.Possibly more in Aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I can’t cope with the wasps swarming around the machines and I wasn’t even using them only passing by them in the shop. I mentioned this would be an issue way back when the scheme first started.
    The machines are filthy dirty too. I wouldn’t like to be the staff member who has to empty them.

Hopefully anyone with wasp sting allergies has their injection pen with them. What a way to go out. Stung to death at an RVM trying to engage with this BS scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Proud to say that I still haven't engaged with this nonsense. 6 weeks (7/8 bin bags - or basically the capacity of a standard wheelie bin) worth of general rubbish into the local landfill compactor for a tenner last week. The money saved there vs bin collections alone makes up for any loss on these "deposits". Takes about 5 minutes from arrival to site to payment and departure.

Add though the value of my time saved and not having the frustration of the experiences of some detailed here and it's priceless.

People really should look into it. I'm in the Midlands but I'm sure the other Councils have similar operations.

Wish I could avail of prices like that. My price at local site €5.00 per bag-or 6 for €27.50. And €2.50 for a bag of recycling tho the bag is bit bigger than standard bin bag.

My local place (Laois) is done by weighbridge.. drive in, weight measured, empty the boot into the compactor, drive out, weight measured again. €10 please.

They have a seperate recyclables section too (€5 to get in last I was there) which I use for things like bulkier cardboard, bigger plastics or metal and electrical stuff, but the rest all goes into the general compactor.

I live alone though so I don't really generate all that much anyway hence why it's only every 6 weeks or so that I go up.

• Advertisement

Same. Fuel for the journey plus fees would make it comparable to a black bin lift.

Wherever _Kaiser_ is seems to be generous. Wouldn't surprise me if that deal disappears some time in the near future.

Another thing I used to use was this..

https://bigbin.ie/

They're not everywhere and prices have increased a bit since I last used them, but maybe useful for some?

Tried that route-"A minimum charge of €27.50 exists for weighed waste."

Dundalk FC raising money for community projects.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dfc-in-the-community-feed-lily-the-bin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I mentioned this in the Lidl thread. Bought the 15x500ml box of Coors last week and was charged the deposit. I brought the empties back to SuperValu and all of them were rejected. When I checked it turns out none of them had either the logo or any barcode.

SuperValu don't have a receptacle for rejects so I had to try and stuff then into the bin on the street outside. If anyone went through the bin looking for empties they must have thought they hit the jackpot until they got to the machine.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's too late for you but anyone else who has this problem should insist on a refund from Lidl.

You'd need the cans and the receipt.

They broke the law twice. Once by selling the cans with no logo/barcode and secondly by charging the deposit on cans not in the DRS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I know that but I would still have no way of proving it. They could say I had the cans for years.

It's obviously a problem with their stock rotation as I had bought them previously and they were in scope.

I checked the dates and the BB is October. They must have been near the bottom of the pile for about a year.

Contact Re-Turn head office like the CEO said on the radio.

They will be happy to pretend to help*.

*ignore you and keep the deposits.

They could call their customer a liar which is not good business practice.

With respect the cans in question were never part of DRS.

This is a Lidl problem.

Sure. The council have probably already fined Lidl for it 👀.

More enforcement needed.

A few stuff fines would help stamp out this type of carry on.

And who is doing the enforcement? Care to enlighten me on the latest fines levied?

Oops forget, ANYONE who has completed a manual return as highlighted by ReTurn, please step forward.

It's supposed to be done by local authorities.

It seemed to me that would make sense because having a separate enforcement organisation would be expensive and unwieldy.

Of course it only works if the local authorities actually do the job. I haven't heard of a fine.

On the elusive manual returns don't forget I'm one of the few on here that joined you in the search and actually tried to do it.

No matter, try again, fail again, fail better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

went today for the first time in ages. got 23 euro back. not sure how many bottles and cans but i had 5 bags full. last time i went was after the deadline for selling bottles without the logo. today i got about 15 bottles rejected due to no logo. fair enough for the rejection but every one was bought since it was illegal to sell without it. i will have to start looking at them again

• Advertisement

The vouchers from my local Tesco machines list the number of bottles and the number of cans at 15 cents and 25 cents.

Fair play to you €23 is a lot of containers.

I wouldn't try to return that many myself.

I'm in the "little and often camp" and I've never done more than 15 at a time.

You could check the barcodes on those rejects here -

https://re-turn.ie/consumer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

most were water bottles. i wasnt really planning to do it just took a notion. the van was empty and someone told me a newly renovated shop has the machine outside where you can drive up beside it so i loaded up and off i went.

other botttles already in the recycling bin so wont bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Shan Doras

There are still plenty of American candy type shops selling imports that aren't included in the scheme. I wouldn't be complaining as it's nice to be able to get some international drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I have come to the conclusion that the machines are not really fit for purpose, based solely on my own experiences. I have been against this scheme from day-one but decided a while ago to just go with it and hopefully the major creases would be ironed out.

Went to Lidl this morning and brought a bag of returns with me (I didn't really need to do any shopping but was sick of the sight of the bag of cans/bottles in the house). First machine was working but a lad with two black bin bags full of returns was taking his sweet time to do his returns. The other machine was fsked, the lady in front of me kept getting her bottles rejected. She went off to get help, all the while I am waiting and the queue behind me is growing. After a few minutes the assistant arrives and after a bit of messing around it is clear that they do not know how to fix the machine. I give up waiting and go back to the car and drive to Aldi.

No queue in Aldi for the machines, first machine keeps rejecting my returns. Second machine is working fine, so after about 20 minutes and an extra drive I have managed to return a few cans and bottles. Did some shopping in Aldi, at the check-out when I presented the voucher before paying, the cashier asks if he can give me the cash instead of using the voucher to pay the balance of my shopping. I refused, didn't want to be carrying around change. Cashier gets the hump but after a bit of fiddling with the till he takes the voucher. On the way out of Aldi there is an irate looking shopper bending the ear of an assistant who is trying to fix one of the machines.

It's a mess, four machines, two of them broken, two store assistants tied-up trying to fix them. I know I was probably unlucky but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I was in and out of a few shops on Saturday, which was a warm enough day compared to what we've been getting lately. Didn't have to do any 'returning' thankfully but there was some stink coming from all the machines. I think if we ever do get a bit of a heatwave, hygiene will become a big issue with the machines.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The shops should do a better job of cleaning up the pool of soup, often they create it. So often my feet have stuck to the floor standing in front of the DRS machine. And it walks around with you then for a while.

Also, a few times I've used outdoor DRS machines, and the amount of wasps swarming around at this time of year is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don't believe this site. I had a massive post typed out, but I hit back by mistake, and it's all gone. 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,414 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You'd miss the auto save draft with the Cloudflares etc etc

Need to think to hit the save draft button these days.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, just back from the local Spar. Once again the machine is inoperable. The guy behind the til says it's closed and I ask can he open it. He says "no. They have no bags". This is the fourth time since the scheme started that I have had go back home with a bag full of empties because the stupid machine was unusable.

It really is very difficult to imagine a more retarded attempt at implementing a scheme.

You'd want your head examined to be supporting this idiotic shite. It's not fit for purpose and needs to be scrapped.

Advertisement