Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You did say this though:

“Does everything you write have to be this dishonest and disingenuous? Really”

That is a harsh comment from anyone on the site to anyone else and goes against the whole attack the post not the poster mantra.

I’m not taking any side here just as a reader I perceive what you said as poor form and maybe I think I can now get away with saying similar to posters I broadly disagree across the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

This is an example of what I said previously.

You did say that EmmetSpiceLand's proposal was interesting. So it was remotely what you said.

But if you were talking about another part of the post, it would be good to clarify.

If I was a mod, I would infract you for breaking the 'don't be a dick' rule.

It's that rule which I think the site might need to rethink as it hands the moderators far too much leeway to define something they disagree with as being "dick-ish".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Close the thread before the mask slips any further?

Enforcing existing rules isn't an issue. Punishing people for disputing moderation in a setting that already has questionable transparency isn't a positive move however.

All that does is reduce trust and exacerbate existing problems.

Anyone voting for the retention status quo doesn't want to lose the advantages that grants them.

°°°°°

And we're supposed to expect impartiality from this person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I did. I wonder why you didn't highlight any of the abusive comments made about me. Harsh comments are only wrong when they come from certain people?

Any time I try to engage with that poster, they immediately resort to gaslighting, abuse, and playing the victim. Always. I won't go on about this but that's why. There's page after page after page of proof on this thread.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Close the thread before the mask slips any further?

weren’t you just complaining loudly about ad hominems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Most positive thing for me was rediscovering that post about boards etiquette and having a nice reminisce about what it used to be like here and what behaviour was and wasn't tolerated before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Anyone voting for the retention status quo doesn't want to lose the advantages that grants them."

Anyone voting against the status quo doesn't want to play by the rules, and won't play by new rules either.

See how easy it is to present an argument when you couch it in such terms?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Only bad when other people do it. Same approach to rule, they're only for other people.

That was some blast from the past alright.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I mean that's also a factor that definitely doesn't help things. Most of the time the major holdup in DRP is that one has to exhaust "discussion with the mod that issued" first before anything else. Really though, a mod team of a forum — and also the CMods of the category — should be able to speak for/defend the assumed rationale of the original issuing mod.

The process would go a lot better if it went something like this:

• DRP can be started without having to exhaust discussion with original mod, and PM conversation of the action (which is usually automated, I think?) should be able to be posted immediately without requiring any silly "permission" from the mod that issued it.
    • Once started, there is a 24 hour period for any mod of the forum to respond. If DRP started without exhausting discussion with original mod, this period is extended to 72 hours.
    • Failing a response, or if manually requested to go up a level, there is then another 24 hour period for a CMod to respond.
    • Failing a response, of if manually requested to go up a level, there is a final 24 hour period for an Admin to respond.
    • If no response from any level, the original mod action is considered null and void.

I hate reiterating Reddit, but man, if we left any mod action appeal sit untouched in our modmail for even 12 hours; then we're not doing our role correctly.

• Advertisement

You understand the nature of mods being volunteers? No volunteer should have to be kept to time scales like that.

Personally, I'd scrap the DRP.

I just dropped into the thread dude, you have a big cmod badge and a cool picture of a horse.

Harsh comments are not tolerated across the site at all no matter how scummy/nice the person who fired the comment out is - is that correct?

As I said at the bottom, not taking any side at all - your comment that I quoted is harsh on its own two legs without the full context.

Please don’t take this as a personal attack or anything of the sort, it’s just the sort of thing I feel the site could use less off.

along with mods closing threads with comments like “it’s terrible Joe”. Not naming any names 😂

°°°°°

I didn't quote this yesterday as I wasn't going to rise to it, however you're replying to a poster who quoted one of my posts so I'm going to assume the body of your post references me. If that's not the case I'm open to correction.

You accuse me of being a narcissist and then go on to question my mental health.

You are supposed to set an example as a moderator, yet here you are accusing me of gaslighting you and making spurious accusations about me as a person and my mental health.

I have held my hands up on this thread and admitted I haven't always behaved perfectly, I've outlined how I propose to reduce the amount of petty disagreements I end up involved in and for that you and others piled on with abuse a cod psychology.

You're telling people how awful I am but you can't even acknowledge your own poor behaviour.

Yea, actually I think I do understand:

When a site is as busy or as active as here or Reddit, someone has to be able to respond promptly. Whether that's the original mod, or another member of the team at that level or above.

Context matters. Feedback matters. It's why I'm trying to engage but I'm not going to have someone lie blatantly about me repeatedly without calling it out. It's a fair response if you add the context.

Yea, it's in much worse shape than Reddit; the concern of which was sort of the original premise of this thread to begin with.

I would agree with your ideas for the streamlining of the steps, but the timelines I think as mentioned I can't see being a runner for boards. I don't think that the mod tools are sufficient either for the process mentioned.

Warnings that have triggered forum or site bans* though, ideally if they could be expedited, as they have major blocking consequences

* Yes I know they require someone to reg a new account to query.

Context doesn’t matter when it comes to warnings though does it? Maybe there is differences among mods on how they approach warnings and messages but I’d hope a sweeping statement like that would be flagged as uncivil in a non feedback thread. Because a a reader without the context I see a moderator telling a user that they are broadly disingenuous. (Maybe they are).

if I was a non signed in member reading that from a moderator I’d certainly think twice about signing up to the site.

Again, just my thoughts (I could just be a clown also).

And I think I speak for many here when I say - it’s refreshing to see moderators like you engaging here and discussing the site issues. We have had some big controversial issues in the country lately and I have seen mods sit back a bit and let conversation and debate happen on the site - so thank you for that!

I mean if those timelines aren't really a runner for the current crop of people in those roles; then honestly, there needs to be a personnel change.

Or, y'know, the people who are actually getting paid to manage this website — if any still exist — need to get stuck in themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

You are a moderator. Harsh comments that (potentially) overstep the site rules shouldn't come from you.

You patently and obviously show distain for this poster with your posts. You attack the poster, not the post.

Your posts would have received sanctions if they were made by others and directed towards people who's views you agree with.

I can see why he would be frustrated.

Seems to be more down to the size of the current crop of people, lack of numbers, which has been mentioned repeatedly on the thread as an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dude, half the problems are because there aren't enough mods… what you're proposing would have every sanction dragged through DRP hoping to get off on some whimsical timeframe technicality. So would actually increase the workload on the current mod teams.. how on earth would that resolve any matters.

Besides, you'd have to get someone to lift the original sanction and if you can't get them to even do a DRP how are you going to get them to do that!

Then either a) the size of the mod team site-wide needs to be bolstered; or b) the current crop need to be empowered more — like all mods become CMods of their category, and can undo other mod sanctions.

• Administrators Posts: 54,016 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We are not going to model the boards modding on how r/Ireland is modded, I do not think users would appreciate that.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not passing comment on how r/Ireland is moderated, just pointing out that what works for reddit would not work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Support the assertion? This thread if full of people suggesting rules changes, some of which are to make the place better for all and some of which are so those individual posters get sanctioned less.

As for the ad homenim allegation; pointing out that you're personalising comments not directed at you or to you isn't an ad homenim.

And if you think it is then maybe that explains the persecution complex you appear to have.

Lastly, nowhere did I say you shouldn't be replying to me.

Hey Chris - do redit moderators get anything at all from moderating?

I for one have no idea why the boards mods do it as they get absolutely nothing.

Before I proposed they get free ad credit for adverts.ie / done deal but I’m not even sure now if those sites are owned by the same entity anymore. (if they are this is something I’d like to see or similar)

Very occasionally, the Reddit admins might offer up discount or gift codes for certain services; but that's only been offered maybe twice in the last five years — I think I've been offered like €15 credit for an online snack website, and three months free Premium for that Calm relaxation app thing.

There's also been those mod meetups mooted, and I believe there was one held in Dublin before I started modding there; but those have been pretty heavily curtailed since the pandemic.

But generally, no. We do it purely because we want to help curate an online community.

Sure and the context is a good few pages of a 60-page thread so I get that it's not obvious but at some point, I can't just let statements like that go when that person has posted at least a dozen about just me.

I don't touch the overwhelming majority of CA threads. I only really post on the UK ones, the gript one, the anxiety one and occasionally the Harris v Trump one. Stuff like Israel-Palestine, Ukraine, and refugees I don't touch. That's an important detail and the opposite has presented as fact here by more than one poster.

But yeah, I do want the place to succeed but I don't see it, sadly.

• Advertisement

When you say you "don't touch" those threads; is that purely in the scope of a regular user browsing and commenting on them, or does it also include the scope of being a CMod of that category responding to reports emanating from those threads?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement