Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Ball Deals/Discussion

• 26-08-2024 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to set up a thread for golf ball deals and discussion.

If anyone spots any deals of note etc would be great to hear of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭coillcam

Going to try a few different balls myself on course and see how I go. So I'll probably grab a sleeve of some options to test.

I've played a round recently with the current Srixon Z Start Diamond and was very impressed. Feel is firm but not hard. Nice thump and crisp sound when you hit driver, love the feedback. Distance is good too and I was very happy with iron/wedge spin. Plenty of stop and the flight wasn't ballooning. Nice feeling on chipping and spin was good too. At this point I'd nearly buy a bunch but I should try the other contenders tbf. Dunno if I'll get time for Trackman testing but probably on course will inform me.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Seed balls are great. Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Good Idea for a thread.

My tip is I think of tailormade tp5 and pro v1 as the EXACT same product by a different manufacturer. I've never been able to tell any difference between the two of them in ANY discernable way whatsoever. So I generally buy the tp5 as they are normally a bit cheaper for some reason. I liked Vice pro balls in the past as a cheaper way to get a quality ball, but I have never bought the seed yet (pro-v equivalent ball) They get good feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭REFLINE1

I play Seed SD-01's for the most part and think they are a lovely ball, maybe not quite as durable as a ProV but great value and feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

There's 3 top level seed balls I think: SD-01, SD-X1, SD-02.

If I was going to move from TM tp5 or Tit pro v1 what would I go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure that it goes:

SD01 = ProV1

SDX1 = ProV1x

SD02 = AVX

In terms of comparable balls?

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Seed's recommendation is:

• SD15 Country Mile = Srixon AD333
    • SD01 = Prov1
    • SD02 = Prov1X, TP5x
    • SD05 = AVX, Chrome Soft
    • SDX1 = Prov1, TP5, Chrome Soft X

https://seedgolf.com/pages/compare-balls

I wish it gave an indication of what sort of player should use what sort of ball, cause this stuff is all over my head tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you're good, SD01. The rest of us, whatever is cheapest 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭big_drive

I've played Seed 01 all year, find it perfect and noticed no difference from a ProV1 really. Obviously price is a big plus

As for the bigger brands I find you'll often see Srixon or Bridgestone on sale and both are excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭token56

I purchased a batch of Vice golf balls recently and I've been very impressed. I got the pro plus which I believe is supposed to be similar to a Pro V1x. Performance feels just like any premium ball I've used. I am a mid handicap though so may not be putting them through all the various test of a low handicapper but for my level absolutely no issues.

• Advertisement

Do the vice balls come from USA? Is there duty/tax to be paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,087 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like the Callaway Chrome-soft. Oddly I can see the yellow ball better in flight than the whitr one.

Pretty sure they're actually a German based manufacturer (or maybe have a German base?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭token56

Yes that's correct, they come from Germany so no additional taxes or duties. Mine took an extra day or two longer than expected to arrive but that was due to issues with the courier not vice themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭frink

I bought the SD-01 "Wrong-uns" recently. They said they were SD-01 but with blemishes in print etc and they were an older generation so slightly harder. They were the worst ball I've ever used, rock hard, no spin, no distance. Felt like I'd gone back to the 90s and was using Ultra Distance. I had been using the SD-02 and thought it performed well. Not sure i'd use Seed again after that SD-01 experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

Germany and a great all round ball. For mid handicap, the pro or pro air is probably best. They have a sliding discount scale, so 8 dozen is optimum at €217 (2.26 each). If you can get a company to sponsor your purchase and buy via their vat registration, it drops to 1.87 as the vat is deducted. It does need to be a genuine company purchase and payment card / paypal needs to be in the name of the company.

I remember having John Dwyer (Royal Dublin pro) at an event recently and he talked about golf balls. His advice was to avoid wasting money on ProV unless you were single digit handicap. Recommended a soft ball for mid handicaps and to stick with the same ball all the time.

Always advises against having a mix of balls in the bag as they all perform differently. Since then we do "swapping" at society outings on found balls as we've a good mix of handicaps from single digits to 30+. Not necessarily one for one - depends on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭willabur

I got a few boxes of SD01 last year and they were terrible - felt like a plastic coating, high pitch sound, horrible to hit, I mailed them about it as up until then the sd01 were great. They said that they released a new version and that SDX1 were the old SD01. In fairness to them they shipped me 5 boxes of sd02 and didn't ask for the SD01 back.

If I were you I would test before buying in bulk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I play finds, find considerably more than what I lose or wear out.

But of what's out there, TP5 pix I though were lovely, especially around the green, I'd put them just above Prov1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Changed between ProV1x and TP5x the last few years and just started using the TP5

Usually get more deals through the year for the TP5 and just prefer the look of the logo , otherwise there’s very little difference if any.

Tried Z Star (2 dozen) a couple of years back and a dozen of the top Bridgestone and just didn’t like them.

I used to play chromesofts when they new to the market and were €35-40 a dozen. Then the mygolfspy report about bad cores came out and changed , price went up to Prov1 levels and never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd say if you blanked out the logos on balls I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any decent balls. I think I'd notice a difference between the slazengers/Ultras and ProV1s or the like, but I'm not convinced I'd tell the difference between the mid range balls like an AD333 and a high end ball. That doesn't mean they don't make any difference of course. And for that reason I buy seeds. I get some peace of mind that I'm using a high end ball, but I'm not paying the highest prices. I also like that I'm buying from an Irish company.

• Advertisement

I bought them too and I don't believe they are actually the 01 ball. Totally different feel and I've been a long time user of the ball so familiar with it. I reckon they are one of the other balls mistakenly printed with the 01 logo and that was why they were so cheap

Another wrong uns non believer here. Had the below draft saved yesterday but didn't post it.

I've been using seed for a few years. Primarily sd-01 and sd-x1.

Tbh I've gone off them. Had 4 boxes of the latest sd-01 and they were fine but just can't put my finger on what I didnt like but the below probably feeds into it. X1 I did like a lot tbf.

My trust in the company went down a bit a few months ago. I bought a batch of the wrong uns (100) at what I thought was a great price. They were only meant to minor cosmetic print defects with no performance difference. My mate and I both agreed they were not sd-01 balls as they were very hard and didn't seem to spin as much.

I cut open a couple of balls and can confirm the spec was very similar BUT the urethane cover was noticeably thicker so can only assume thats the difference. Completely wrong uns indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thankfully steered clear of the wrong uns. Am very happy playing the SD01.

Eddie McCormack who won the European Senior amateur title last year uses them, so they obviously stand up well quality wise, and when I flare one OB or into the water it doesn't hurt as much as doing it eith a ProV

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭frink

Good to know it wasn't just me! I was actually more disappointed with their response to my mail. Quite dismissive and didn't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Normally play pro v. Compression 90+ .For my club 4 somes matchplay I/we play the Titliest true feel. My partner favours this ball. Higher handicap, gets better distance etc..

It has a claimed low compression which would put it at 60 or below. A soft ball.

My driver swing speed when i am fit and able is 97/100 mph.

I have not found any drop off in distance or trajectory from using this ball which the normal blurb says i should.

The only downside is less stopping power on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭az1234

Just to add, I got a box of wrong un's as well and had the same issue. They felt really hard like a Top Flite or an Ultra or something, and like a totally different ball to any SD-01's I had gotten from them before.

I went back to Pro V1's after that.

Ok, sounds like some blatant false advertising if that's the case.

I thought it was pitched as balls that were badly printed, etc...

What they meant by badly printed was balls printed with the wrong model number. And then they sold them as being the wrong model ball rather than the actual ball.

Very bad form there

I'd echo your thoughts on the feeling of wrong uns. They're meant to be a soft tour ball equivalent to a ProV1 (but not super soft like Chromesoft). The feeling I got was like a cheap distance 2 piece ball or 1 step better than a range ball. The cover is clearly thicker and the short game/putting practice results meant I never put them in play. Fine for practicing about in bunkers or in the garden but they're so different to any SD-01 I used over the years. Including my current yellow batch that's running out.

I'm crap so I lose lots of balls :D which means I've purchased probably 15-20x dozen balls over the last few years from Seed. Probably 70% SD-01, 20% SD-X1 and 10% SD-02. The only complaint previously was that the paint on the yellow balls scuffs off quickly. Zero qualms on performance and have all of my golf milestones while using them.

I'd probably try them again in future, SD-X1 model in particular. Whatever was up with the wrong uns was probably a one off but it was annoying to fork out for 50 balls and them being vastly different all of the other SD-01s.

It's likely down to their manufacturers fault and probably the Seed guys are trying to recoup some lost investment in stock. Could have it arseways but I think the manufacturer pulled a fast one on them. Golf Monthly forum has some posts about the same feeling/feedback as this thread. So it's not an isolated thing…

My last few dozen of proper SD-01s are fine fwiw.

• Advertisement

On the product page, it has a disclaimer that they were an older generation model and feel firmer. Due to higher compression on that particular generation. I dunno, the cynic in me wants to see that as a get-out-of-jail card for a completely different ball.

Advertisement