Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

OK let me try and explain this a different way. (And bear in mind I am in no way responsible for any of the large amount of available material on induced demand!)

A real example: between my house and a place I work, it's approx. 5km journey. There are no continuous footpaths or cycleways, but there are three roads of roughly equal distance. What mode of transport will I take? Next question: those roads are congested at rush hour, cars are bumper to bumper on some stretches. There is an opportunity to upgrade the infrastructure: what should we spend the money on? Let's emphasise the point: I cycle myself but sometimes must bring children on the same route: should I use the car or bike?

So if we continue as we are, the current roads do induce demand for driving. If we spend the money on sustainable transport, then there will be an induced demand for the other modes. It doesn't mean everyone will give up driving. And people will still drive if it's convenient, so we actually need to make active transport MORE convenient than driving.

You moved to talking about costs also, which is a different discussion entirely. The cost to build motorways Vs railways has no real place in a discussion about urban cycle mode share and induced demand. We need a national motorway network and a national rail network connecting our cities. The national motorway and rail networks are not commuter networks. Their job is not to connect commuters. They're for the smaller number of non-daily trips. Arguments for or against national networks belong in a different thread than arguments for or against the allocation of road space in the urban area.

You make very solid points about current cycle infrastructure. I strongly encourage you to also submit this to your local Council's Part 8 and Section 38's and to their overall transport strategy documents. I regularly do same. The general comment is "this section of cycleway is ok but the fact that the broader network isn't being completed almost completely undermines its usefulness". Luckily we're nowadays in a much better situation here in Cork, where the Councils are working on full corridors.

With regards the M20, the railway line was unfortunately shot down on cost:benefit basis (IÉ were heavily involved in this, so there's no conspiracy). The simplified reasoning was that they felt they could upgrade Limerick Junction, and the Limerick to Junction line and get better overall ridership and allocate their scheduling better that way than a direct connection. It's unfortunate, but at least the analysis was done. That project is one of the best around for analysing all modes correctly. As a final note I'd recommend you go to the infrastructure forum where this type of conversation is had a lot. A lot of the posters there have real detailed background knowledge of the topics, I've learned a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i doubt anyone here would disagree with you about the folly of building isolated or discontinuous cycling infrastructure - and in fact it usually happens where it's easier to provide (and needed less) while ignoring the more difficult points where it's riskier to cycle.

but as others have pointed out, you may be sceptical about induced demand but it has been accepted as a fact of life by road engineers for decades.

Even outside of the material available, it is also quite logical and intuitive. If you have to choose your transport mode you'll choose the most convenient one. If all you have is busy roads you'll likely choose to drive. We've broadly completed building out Ireland's road infrastructure, and most investment must now turn to sustainable modes. There should be nothing controversial about this in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ok so explain the M9 to me so… Brand new motorway built in the late 00's but it's also easily one of Ireland's quietest roads

Glad we are in agreement with the cycling infrastructure though

5km and 3 separate roads, personally speaking I'd cycle it along the road, with kids you'd have to use the car unless the weather was particularly fine. But to use your analogy, what method of transport did you use before the roads were built?

The problem with making submissions to the council regarding cycle lanes around Limerick is that, by and large, the council build them without any engagement with their local communities. The one exception is the one along the South Circular road which had to be voted on in the council chambers

With regards to the M20, I think my earlier point about rail being more expensive than roads is exactly what IÉ mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭JMcL

From the point of view of interconnecting regions, it has importance (though the lack of westerly sliproads at the M7 junction is baffling). The former N9 going though Carlow and every 2 horse town in between wasn't fit for purpose when that purpose involves HGV freight.
    As an alternative, the (single track) rail line can barely provide a passenger service. Did it need to be a motorway? Probably not. A good standard dual carriageway would probably have been fine.

It's not however horses for courses. Waterford is too far to be viable commuting distance from Dublin - though I do know some who do it. Not so Kilkenny and more so Carlow. On the occasions I do have to drive to Dublin early in the morning, come 7am Carlow onwards is fairly solid. If the road wasn't there would they take the train instead and as a result drive an upgrade in that service?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"I think my earlier point about rail being more expensive than roads is exactly what IÉ mean"

Like most of your very numerous short points that are either opinion with no corroborating material or that require local knowledge of Limerick that I don't have, I don't know what Iarnród Éireann meant here, or whether Iarnród Éireann are making the surprising assertion that there isn't much point in investing in rail..

You might be as well to take you thirst for knowledge to the Infrastructure forum that was mentioned already, where I'm sure your very numerous assertions can be quickly assessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,713 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think it's an insurance thing. There's a large public sector organisation that's banned ebikes and escooters from being charged in their facilities, even though they previously allowed it, after a fire safety inspection

So what you are saying regarding the M9 is that the existing road wasn't suitable so they built a new one and the traffic didn't increase through induced demand?

There's a big whiff off this. I think we can all accept that batteries can cause fires when damaged so let's park that argument, but the ratio of instances of battery fires Vs the number of battery powered scooters is minimal to non-existent

or whether Iarnród Éireann are making the surprising assertion that there isn't much point in investing in rail..

This is what I took it to mean. Which I agree is a bit mad, especially as they'd only need 40km of railway to link up to the route at charleville

• Advertisement

So what you are saying regarding the M9 is that the existing road wasn't suitable so they built a new one and the traffic didn't increase through induced demand?

Nope, not what I said. What I did say was:

Not so Kilkenny and more so Carlow. On the occasions I do have to drive to Dublin early in the morning, come 7am Carlow onwards is fairly solid. If the road wasn't there would they take the train instead and as a result drive an upgrade in that service?

I.e., Carlow and to a lesser extent Kilkenny are now seen by some as viable commuter towns for Dublin, therefore that demand has been induced, Were the only choice the old N9 the alternative of rail would be much more attractive. Same can be applied to Gorey, and presumably towns closer to Galway/Sligo/Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Irish rail also have form for running rail lines into the ground intentionally. Look at the Rosslare Waterford line. An analysis was done, very few users, scrap the train. What they didn't mention was that they ran a service which would not get the typical 9 to 5 worker in on time for a large chunk of the city and the return train left before 5, so basically, no good to commuters and to early / infrequent for pensioners.

There was no increase in bus usage as most people who drove to the bus figured it was easier to keep going.

I won't need to use the car for much longer. The Local Authority are investing in dedicated pedestrian and cycle infrastructure for the entirety of the route and I will bring them by bike. This will be induced demand for cycle infrastructure, fully proven out.

What method of transport did I use before the roads were built? I'm not sure where you're going with this question but before the roads were built people generally used bicycles on adjacent routes and before that generally walked. People generally don't walk now because of the dangers posed by fast-moving traffic. I belong to an older demographic that was able to walk and cycle these roads before the big surge of auto ownership in the 00's.

I assure you that Limerick Council have section 38's and part 8's. Whilst we regularly hear a battle-cry of "not enough consultation" when people are protesting sustainable infrastructure, there are very few schemes which do not go to public consultation within urban areas. https://mypoint.limerick.ie/en/browse

Your point about rail being more expensive than roads is not whatsoever what IÉ mean: I suggest you visit the NM20 project website for their justifications. The synopsis is that they intend to invest heavily in the Cork-Limerick corridor via Limerick Junction regardless of this scheme, thus see no advantage in adding another route to get people to the same destination in roughly the same time. Think of it like the M8 and M7 being shared between Limerick and Cork. Would there be an advantage in segregating the two: yes. Is it worth the additional effort: no, especially when we consider the disruption and the urgent investment priorities elsewhere on the network. Thus it goes to the bottom of our "desire" list. https://corklimerick.ie/

They absolutely did do this: they ran down demand on any corridor that they felt was a net "loser" for them. But they're investing now in fairness. It's not a lack of willingness or money in 2024, rather they're prioritising very many projects.

Limerick-LJ benefits Waterford connection, so it gets priority. Limerick-LJ meets other Dublin trains so it gets priority. The alignment into Colbert from the South is messy. So they're going all-in on Limerick-LJ for better or for worse. It's not whatsoever "because rail is expensive", it's because the rail operator thinks they can do a better job via LJ.

there's quite a difference between carrying one on public transport and charging one - i'd suspect that the chances of one catching fire while not in use, or charging, must be vanishingly small?

but as you say, i suspect it's insurance. absolute PITA for anyone who does last mile sort of transport on them.

https://www.thejournal.ie/continuous-footpaths-dcc-side-roads-traffic-plan-6471485-Aug2024/ This one despite not having anything directly to do with cycling predictably degenerates into the usual "cycling lobby destroying the country for the poor auld motorist" tripe in the comments slightest immediately

You've hit the nail on the head, although not sure if it's an insurance issue, reckon the guy or gal who decided to implement this doesn't like battery powered vehicles of any type. There's a huge campaign at the moment led by the oil industry to knock confidence in electric cars, this is likely an extension of this

They'll have a rude awakening if this takes off

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/fast-charging-facilities-for-new-dart-trains-for-d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The M9 along with Shannon/Tuam motorways are the quietest motorways in my experience but you can't say there is no induced demand unless you compare pre and post traffic counts.

Anecdotally as some who has lived beyond the edges of what was commutable to Dublin(Clonmel and Dungarvan) I see induced demand everywhere.

*Tradesmen in both towns taking on south Dublin projects which never happened before

*Lots of people travelling a number of times per week along with working from home

*Vastly increased couriers for both private and commercial customers using motorways

*Routing through Dublin for all types of destinations like Belfast, Navan, Derry, Donegal

Personally I regularly, perhaps 20 times per year, need to be in Dublin city centre. The only way previously to do that was the train. Now driving is a very viable option for all or near entirety of journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

More cars on Dublin's Quays today, but traffic plan creating better traffic flow | Irish Independent

"A spokesperson for An Garda Síochána said a “period of familiarisation will be required and allowed as the travelling public get used to the traffic flow arrangements” "… If regular RTA enforcement is anything to go by I won't be holding my breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The amount of cars parked near the roundabouts each weekday at each junction from 3 to 9 suggests that the commuter belt was extended south by virtue of the M9 opening.

Can't imagine there were too many people commuting daily from Paulstown to Dublin on the old road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think if you were to consultant the census data (which I currently couldn't be bothered doing just to prove a point I know exists) but the commuting data will show many from Carlow, Kilkenny, Portlaoise, Cavan, Ardee, etc commuting frequently to Dublin by car

And I'd suspect the data would also show a significant increase in the numbers compared to pre-M9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Paulstown probably was for some but it has no doubt increased. Its north of both Carlow and Kilkenny and wasn't a long distance to existing motorway prior to M9 construction. I'm not surprised though that M9 say south of Carlow doesn't look busy most of the time; there is no real major population hubs below it. Waterford city and county is circa 100k and some of those will use M8 or skip across to junction 9 to use it. Wexford is served by M11, which with improved road network including New Ross bypass is well served.

Junction 9 which is south of Kilkenny is now in play for commuters and is often the best option for people as far south as Clonmel; that will include Callan, Carrick and everything else at a similar distance.

Paulstown is south of Carlow, and was the guts of an hour to Kilcullen on the old road.

Sarsfield bridge today some stills taken from my dashcam, on one side the footpath with 2 cyclists, on the other side the cycle lane that was once a traffic lane.

Are we seeing the problem yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not 100% sure, but it's definitely either;

a) no helmets;

b) no hi-vizzzz; or

c) no road tax.

At this point I think we can all see the problem…

Come back when you want to actually discuss something!

I was going to go with Cycling on the footpath and a cycle lane that's clearly not fit for purpose

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not intending to join your faux outrage until you post the photos of all the cars that you passed which were somehow on the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do you want me to post my helmet cam footage of random people blocking cycle lanes because they think they are parking spots, the debris in them because they are not swept, or the numerous cars that broke the ROTR right in front of me on my, checks watch, 12 minutes on the bike.

You have two muppets on a footpath, there maybe reasons, there may not be reasons, none of this though though makes a pro or anti cycle lane case. Contrary to popular belief, some people are just d1cks, whether they have an excuse or not.

Advertisement