Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solis Inverter - graph not making sense

• 23-08-2024 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all, I just got my solar PV, hybrid inverter and battery installed a couple of days ago, and I am struggling to understand the status graph from time to time.

It’s raining at the moment so it shows only 0.53kW is being generated from solar PV. However, it is still charging my battery and exporting excess electricity to the grid at the same time. I don’t understand how that can happen.

The Solis app also shows the same thing - no electricity from solar, while generating electricity to battery and grid.

Where is the power coming from?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

First thing I'd possibly say is that the ct for the meter is backwards.

If you put on a kettle and look at the inverter screen does the export rise by 3kW

(If it does, get your installer back to fix, it's not a hard fix but likely means working in the consumer unit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Is it possible the CT clamp is fitted the wrong way around? It's the only thing I can think of as it looks like the battery is being charged from the grid.

On the inverter can you check to see if charge from grid is enabled? Below is a video on where you can check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Sam W

Thanks for the replies. Not sure when I can get the installers back but quick question first - in its current state, is it just a display issue, or does it also affect how and when batteries are charged, electricity is drawn or exported from the grid?

It's not just a display issue. It's affecting your system and you will be getting charged for the units imported from the grid that is charging your battery.

Currently when your importing it will see it as export and try prevent that by charging the battery, export will be seen as import and the battery will just discharge to the grid.

If you turn off the battery for now, it will prevent that (as it can't charge and discharge the battery)

The CT is likely to be in your consumer unit, but it could be in the meter box, if in meter box it could be an easy fix (unclip and reclip)

• Advertisement

Thanks! I’ll turn off the battery for now and contact the installer. With the battery being off I guess the panels will still work right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm not going to bother climbing up into the attic at this hour, but there is a modbus register (43029) which allows you to reverse the CT direction in software. Suggest having a poke around the menus to see if you can find it. Save you having to get the installer back out. Although they really should have checked it before driving off.

But the solis hybrid uses a external meter not a CT not sure if it can be reversed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Con747's inverter is mounted at ground level. Maybe he can check for us. 😂

• Advertisement

Thanks very much everyone!

Without knowing what a consumer unit is and what a CT clamp is, I managed to follow a few YouTube videos and found the only new clamp-looking thing the installer put. I took the clamp off, reversed the direction and put it back on.

Obviously I will have to wait till tomorrow and see whether it all looks right during the day, but this graph is certainly looking better and making more sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I presume they mean you don't have to find a ladder etc. to climb upstairs to check the inverter like most of us.

When I was having issues initially with my setup it was like a gym workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You got assigned an action in your absence by some randomer on the net, effectively. 😝

After reversing the CT clamp, everything looks correct this morning on the inverter side.

However, it seems for some reason I can’t charge my electric car properly. It just stops charging after 5-10 minutes, with no error on either the car or the inverter, and I can turn it back on immediately. Even when I set the amp to a very low value (10A at the moment) it still switches off after a few minutes.

I don’t know if there’s any issue with the charger or the inverter? The car and charger has been working fine and I use it every week (although I usually charge it overnight).

Below is when my charger is on and set to 10A.

What make is your charge point?

Solar shouldn't effect it.

It’s a Tesla home charger. Pretty standard ones. First time seen it behave like this. Previously if it stops charging usually it means it’s tripped, but not this time. It just stops randomly without any error message.

I can probably turn off the inverter later and try again to charge from the grid alone, and see it makes any difference.

I tried turning off the whole solar system but that apparently didn’t help either. Car charger still randomly shuts down after a few minutes.

Looking at my fuse box, the electricians added the surge protector and inverter to the right of the RCD for my car charger. I wonder if this could be related? Or maybe something happened during that installation? There’s no visible loose cable but I know nothing about electricity.

Thats really odd.

One thing in your favour is that it's repeatable. An intermittent fault is even harder to pin down.

If you charge from a granny cable, does it still occur?

And just to confirm with the solar completely powered down, and it's rcbo off it still occurs?

@allinthehead I know you like a good puzzle as much as I do 😆 any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It does seems odd, my best bet is that the newly installed busbar is the culprit. Using different brands of equipment on a common busbar isn't ideal as the connections differ. I'd say the hager rcbo busbar connections need attention. They can seem tight but still make a poor connection.

Installer leaving a reversed ct is very poor, if they couldn't be arsed testing the functionality of the pv system then what other shortcuts were taken.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not lovin' the loose end of a CAT6 cable up near the conductors there either.

Try logging out of the Tesla app and logging back in, if that doesn't work then try to charge from another ac chargepoint if you can.

☀️

Charging from other chargers is working fine.

Tried turning off the RCBO for the inverter - that didn’t help.

Tried turning off RCBO and also turning off the battery and inverter - didn’t work either.

I think I’ll just have to get the installer back in.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/charging-will-stop-after-10-15-minutes.268404/

☀️

Log out of app and log back in? Its worth a try anyway!

Thanks. I’m gonna give it a try later today. The charger worked fine before the PV installation, and also other third-party chargers still work fine at the moment. It would be quite bizarre if it only happens to this one charger right after the PV installation is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Probably totally unconnected but my zappi acted up the day it was connected to my solar installation. Prior to this ot worked flawlessly but from that day it would randomly display a power failure when disconnected from car even if charge was completed at time of disconnection.

In my case I would have to turn off the zappi at the breaker and it almost always reset itself and worked fine until the charger was disconnected from the car again. It was a pita but at least I could continue to charge the car.

Funny thing though after about 6 to 7 months this problem completely disappeared and the charger worked flawlessly for approx 4 months before the problem reoccurred. So currently back to square one. Had mentioned to installer who denied it could have anything to do with the solar installation.

Advertisement