Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Northernsoul

Boomtown 2 weeks ago in the UK! Might just be the best festival in the world. 🌎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Yep, enjoyed it myself. Gritty, lo-fi hiphop featuring a nice mixture of funk, reggae and dirty guitar. I'd like to see them play with Obnox. Also, it was a pleasure to have a gig done by 10pm!

Curtisy and Meryl? Now there's an idea.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Anyone go to the Meatbodies. Couldn't make it- wondering what was it like?

Yep. Very good. My review is on the previous page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The The deadly in Collins Barracks tonight. A Lazarus Soul also great as support. New album defo worth checking out, some lovely songs there. Matt and the band sounded fantastic. Set list not exactly what I wanted but to be expected with a new album coming out. New stuff sounded pretty good, old stuff sounded incredible. It was ever thus. Such an underrated band. His 40 year old lyrics sound so current.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I was thinking the same about the lyrics, still so relevant.

I agree it was a great gig. First time in Collins Barracks and I really liked the setting, nice, tidy space, along with Trinity and Iveagh Gardens my favourite outdoors venues in Dublin. Good sound too.

Setlist worked for me and the 2 songs from the new album sounded great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

I loved the finish with Giant. Great drumming. I remember playing air-drums to that as a teenager with mates. Really good set & nice to hear Matt Johnson’s in a happy place at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Beagslife

Great gig in a lovely setting. A Lazarus Soul top notch and The The played a blinder. Top musicians. The lead guitarist had me scratching my head - where had I seen him recently? Only at the recent Trinity Paul Weller gig - Barrie Cadogan 🎸

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭colmufc

Where is the entrance for collins barrack? Also how busy if the Luss after the gigs? I'm heading to Dublin in the next two hours and trying to decide where to park up for the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Anyone have any idea what time James on stage tonight. I will miss the beginning, so I'm weighing up if I'll go or not - depending on how much I will miss. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

If it's any help, Deacon Blue started just before 8:50 and The The started at 8:30. Curfew is 10:30, so I can't see James starting any later than 8:50. Singular Artists' tweet is vague, to say the least. "Doors 6:00, Show 7:00, Ends 10:30." Marvellous.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

Thank you. I should be there close to 8.50. So will make the trip.

Last question - are they strict on searches. I won't have time for scoops beforehand, so I'm going to try to sneak in couple of cans and couple of little miniture wines. Do they do pat-downs for searches.

Need to get a ticket now !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Fanirish

you won’t get cans or bottles of wine in. There is bars there

Ya. I know there is beer there. But I only have the 1.5 hrs there. And want to take in the music. Don't want to be queueing. Ideally would just walk in with a few drinks hidden (inside belt etc. - I didn't mean in plain sight for security). And head straight to gig area and listen to music, and have the few beers I brought in. I'm just wondering are the searches tight.

Anyway, doesn't matter. I've sidetracked the topic away from the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Yesterday they did pat downs and searched bags. Not sure if you'd be able to bring in that much alcohol as you described in your previous post.

The area is not very big anyway, From the bar area you will hear clearly - and probably see the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That what a hipflask of whiskey is for 😉

I bought a cheap one that I wouldn't care about losing if someone found it. Been using it for gigs, football, rugby, the works for about a decade now 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭T.V Eye

I always feel an awful scruff in the NCH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mgkelly

2 × Guest List passes for free to Gossip Tues night in Collins Barracks - if anyone interested PM me

• Advertisement

Anyone???

It's tough times when you can't give tickets away for a good lineup like that on a sunny Dublin evening. I tried giving away my spare for The The The other night without success.

I think tickets were like confetti for tonight. Doc isn't the only to have offered some out. I'm just in my way in now with freebies too. The sun is making me look forward to it a lot now though!

I suspect the gossip crowd overlaps a bit with Blink 182 as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭VM Varga

Thanks for offering. I already have freebies for tonight. Otherwise would have taken up your offer. Looking forward to it.

I'd have taken that The The ticket only by the time i saw your post it was too late.

I also had a freebie from a mate for Gossip tonight. After listening to the new album (not for me) and then remembering that i actually wasn't a big fan first time around i decided to pass. I don't like NOL and Sprints left me cold at ATN so it seemed a bit pointless in me going really. Better off keeping my petrol & parking money for the three gigs i have next week.

Surprised (respectfully, of course!) that Sprints aren't for you, given I think our music tastes overlap quite a bit

Just finished their set here, supporting Gossip. Really enjoyed it, though the sound mix wasn't perfect and the crowd were pretty average, I guess both to be expected for a support act.

Funny enough, I saw them doing their album launch upstairs at Whelan's in January and the crowd were terrible. I was away for the Button Factory gigs in in May but I think I read similar here. I wonder if they've got a bit of hype that brings in interested parties rather than fans

Anyway, I loved it 😋

Slightly ashamed to admit I've bailed before Gossip but there was an imminent bus home and I've an early start. The crowd was filling up pretty well, hopefully they're great

Ha, that's funny. I've seen them a few times now, really like them but always think it should be a more boisterous gig, never quite satisfied with the crowd. How's the new guitarist?

I'm no expert... I thought there was one song he was a bit ahead of the beat, but otherwise very good. Looked like a good lad too, looked delighted to be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,731 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Blink 182 in Kilmainham last night. It was a grand gig

Next up is Coldplay in Croke Park on the 2nd Sep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭T.V Eye

Pixies tonight. Looks like they've kept more Bossanova and TLM tracks in the set too.

Actually been spinning Teenager of the Year all day. Classic.

Wouldn't mind a solo show in the future.

Advertisement