Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's not 8 years ago or even 4 years ago. A lot has happened since.

The gloves are off though.

No more they go low we go high.

Trump now is a convicted Felon and a jury decided he was a sexual abuser.

Harris as she has all ready proven will have no problem attacking him on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

A lot of spinning online from both sides, but the rules they agreed to the debate should be stuck with and neither should be allowed to change them to give their candidate an advantage. Whether its Harris (it seems like its her) or Trump wanting to tweak things, ABC need to stand firm here and stick with initial rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It seems like it could be a case that the rules of the ABC debate were never actually agreed (just the date), and Trump's team are arguing that it should be the same rules as the previous CNN debate. However Trump's team are also calling for a Fox News debate with completely different rules (such as a live audience).

So either all debates should be the same format as the first one, or any debate where the rules not yet agreed should be still open for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I agree that Harris could handle Trump much better than Hilary- but I’m just not sure it’s the right thing for her to do - I get the feeling she’s being fairly well managed and choreographed - she was “gaff prone” remember - steady as she goes would be my advice - “no surprises”

I think you’ll find “it’s the economy stupid”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I reckon this is all being carefully manipulated by the Harris side. If Trump doesn't get his way, he could easily go home and take his football with him. Which can then be spun any way they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,736 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

$22+ million for a stinky old jersey worn by Babe Ruth 90 years ago. The economy is fine. Like all the whinging in Ireland when the roads are awash in 241 and 242 reg plates on nice new cars.

personally I think Harris needs this debate just to strut the stuff she’s good at doing - Americans haven’t had the chance to properly see her in action as a presidential candidate - she needs this debate more than Trump does is my view - they know what they get with Trump- if they don’t know Harris well enough a certain crowd won’t vote for her and that might be the crowd that gets her over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Hillary was too robotic to deal with Trump in her debates. She was debating him as she would a normal politician.

Biden this year quite simply wasn't quick witted enough to counter the total crap Trump was spouting.

I don't think Harris has either of these hindrances.

I don’t think the jersey was “stinky”- if it were I reckon 30 million would have been more accurate

• Advertisement

Fact checking everything Trump says isn’t the way to go either though - you’ll end up looking like a complaining idiot - she needs to develop carefully honed messages to the voters and prioritise them first - playing Trump at his silly name calling games won’t cut it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Fact checking everything he says isn't plausible. He generates lies faster than it is humanly possible to counter them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No he means the time to fact check a lie exceeds (often greatly) the time to fact check that lie.

“He used to tell me ‘it doesn’t matter what you say, Stephanie, just say it enough and people will believe you.’”

https://newrepublic.com/post/185089/trump-mocks-supporters-stephanie-grisham-dnc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed Fact checking it live isn't possible which is why him ditching the ABC debate will be a huge opportunity for Kamala to fact check everything he lied about with 6 days of prep to parse it perfectly with an overwhelming audience, its an opportunity nobody has really had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only reason Trump would attend the debates is if he thinks he needs to do so. I don't say this as some change in personal policy toward debates - I think it's been true since at least the Republican primary cycle where he didn't attend debates.

Polling is neck and neck right now. The debates are traditionally the last set piece of the election cycles and both candidates will be wanting at least one, and to do well enough in it to establish some kind of daylight. I think Trump needs them just a smidgeon more, though, because the numbers have been trending in Kamala's direction, and that's a movement he'll be keen to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The only way to deal with Trump’s Gish Gallop is to pick just one of his statements, (I was going to say his stupidest statement, but they’re all stupid) and counter that and don’t move on, keep going back to it, ignoring all subsequent statements.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

THe solution to the "gish gallop" is to pick one lie and chase them down on that single lie and make them defend it. The whole point of his style is to over-run you with the torrent of nonsense and never giving you a chance to come back.

So you pick one - The 1st one or the biggest one and you just hound them on that one thing.

Johnathan Swan from Axios did a good job a few years ago with him , just kept calling him back on a single issue.

That was the one where Trump went looking for paperwork to "prove" his lie and was blaming his team for not having it etc.

He got totally flustered , if Harris does that to him he'll lose it and say something really bad which is probably why his team want muted mics.

Also with muted mics he could be muttering stuff at her that might get her distracted that her mic won't pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sadly, not true for many Americans. Just a case of the haves and the have nots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Quin_Dub

Johnathan Swan from Axios did a good job a few years ago with him, just kept calling him back on a single issue.

That's a bit easier to manage in a TV interview because the interviewer has a lot of leeway in terms of choosing what is discussed. In a debate, the moderator is usually trying to move things forward to different areas of policy.

Certainly not an impossible thing to do in a debate - even Trump himself managed to stick to the topic of the border in his debate against Biden - but you do need a way to always connect back to your attack points.

Not denying there are those living at ridiculously low poverty levels (https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/6/5/18650492/2019-poverty-2-dollar-a-day-edin-shaefer-meyer reviews some research in America on who might be living on $2/day or less. About 0.11%)

However, every 4 years Americans are bombarded with how bad the economy is, and this time around, it seems like it's awash with money, overall inflation low and lowering, excellent levels of employment and a fair amount of mobility. So, I think that it won't have as big an effect on the election as it had in Bush I v. Clinton, when Carville came up with his famous phrase. I'm hoping character in the candidates matters, and it's looking like it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Why does Harris want to unmute the debate? Trump is an expert at spamming nonsense and gish gallop, she won't get a word in edgeways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'd say it's the opposite and they're just playing Trump. They're completely in his head. He and his campaign will see agreeing to unmuting mike's as a show of weakness, so will argue to the hilt for muted mikes which will suit Harris way more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yep.. it's arguing with a toddler.

"No, you stay up as long as you like, only big boys and girls go to bed early"

Just more evidence of how incredibly easy it is to manipulate him.

I think it will appeal to women voters. Man talking over a woman? More universally relatable than a bag of Doritos, let me just say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder are they aiming for a "I'm speaking" moment where she's seen to shut Trump down during his rants

It would certainly be a powerful image for a lot of female voters, literally shutting the man up. However, I can't imagine there's many undecided women out there at the moment.

The women in the MAGA crowd will vote for Trump no matter what and presumably the women who aren't psychopaths are already voting for Harris

I suppose it's a case of mobilising support and getting people out to vote

In any case, I hope Kamala Harris is doing a lot of prep to stay focused during her talking points and not get interrupted. She's probably getting people to yell at her while she's working on her speeches to train her to work through the noise

Such is the state of modern politics 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

So, I see lots of 'it's dead even' headlines, e.g., places like Thehill.com..

Yet, fivethirtyeights summary of polls is saying Harris +4 nationally.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

And the fivethirtyeight summary is from a few days ago.

Even Thehill's poll shows +4% nationally.

So, dead even? No. Harris in the lead. Swing states are tight, but that's not dead even.

Very frustrating. Plus it's August, as always, the only poll that matters takes place on 5 November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

National polls not really worth a damn, tbh. I think she needs to be beating Trump by 5 points to be "ahead".

Even then, it's the swing states that she needs to be leading by 3 points at least to carry them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement