Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You're statement is false. Albert clearly claimed it prevented cases which would be infections. He then went to the CDC and FDC with the updated information on the phase 3 clinical trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It`s a pity you didn`t post the actual interview rather than a catchy little screen shot.

In the interview on CNN he added the caveat on that 100% efficacy for the 12 -15 age group in that it was based on 1200 individuals, and that it would undoubtedly become lower when the results from larger number became known. So no, he was not claiming it would provide 100% efficacy for those under 15 years of age.

Not that it really matters as we were discussing the initial emergency use authorization from the FDA of 11 Dec. 2020, which for the Pfizer Phase 3 trials consisted of 46,331 individuals, and authorization was only for those 16 years and older.

It was a tweet from his personal account. It had nothing to do with some interview on CNN. He said 100%, you said nobody did. You're statement remains false. There are plenty of other examples where influential people have said, Nada, Zip, No way will you catch it. Confirmation bias is a problem when presenting facts though so I understand why you've never seen anyone say it when other people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Had you bothered to check out what he said when asked, you would have seen that he was referring to the result from 1200 cases and that the efficacy percentage would undoubtedly become lower when the results of larger numbers became known. So no, he did not claim the vaccine would provide 100% immunity from infection for those under 16 years. Not exactly running, as you stated to the FDA with updates of the Phase 3 trials now was it?

Trials, which by the way were completed months previously, (as far as I recall in November 2020), with FDA giving approval for the initial emergency use authorization in December 2020 only for those 16 years and older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ok but that doesn't explain the poor uptake rate for Covid boosters amongst frontline health workers. What's your take on that? I think it was 18%.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Because so many of them have already had covid, because while the booster does reduce your chances of getting infected, it is leaky and wanes, and they've already had sufficient protection from previous vaccination (and\or infection) that severe covid not a major concern.

And the vaccination can leave you floored for a day or so.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jsd1004

We are getting somewhere here at least. Usually a mention that the vaccine can have pretty severe side effects would have you labelled an anti vaxxer. Maybe the reason is they are mostly young intelligent people under retirement age. Have little to fear from an Omicron Covid infection. Recognise that even with the vaccine they can still get and transmit Covid. And dont particularily want to be floored for a day or worse. Pretty much the reasons I ended up not getting the primary vaccination.

Nope. You are fabricating anti vax propaganda, again.

There is no good faith reading that turns "Floored for a day or so" into "pretty severe side effects".

And already explained on thread in the context of the vaccine rollout in 2021 pre Omicron, the benefits of initial vaccination were far more significant than the marginal gain from boosters. And benefits of those doses are lasting even v Omicron.

We are getting nowhere while you comtinue to misrepresent, while you post anti vax claims without foundation, and feign ignorance even as multiple posters discredit your claims with factual scientific studies.

At least you have stopped trying to cite unverifiable friends / jobs, to garnish your claims in lieu of actual evidence.

• Advertisement

Ok then. So being floored for the day or more is reasonable? The Omicron infection has less symptoms in the majority of healthy people. Floored for the day for me is a pretty severe side effect. I have never been in bed for a day with an illness and dont plan to test it.
    And we will see will your other pro drug friends rally behind you for daring mention that you could be floored for a day for taking a vaccine that the disease has less side effects. Id guess you could be in trouble for confirming it.

Post edited by jsd1004 on

Ah earlier on thread you seemed to suggest you decided not to get vaxxed well before Omicron. So you have invalidated your own point, as you shift the goalposts back and forwards as needed to suit the current dubious claim.

Not everybody will be floored for day or so by vaccines, it is a possibility that is all. The probability and range of symptoms for Omicron and later variants is much worse as attested in studies and by posters on this forum reporting symptoms.

Floored for a day is not a severe side effect under any generally accepted definition of it. That is your own invention as likely is such a dubious claim as never having spent a sick day in bed ever.

You are very busy scouring my posts looking for anti vaxxer nuances. Its sad really.

I have seen this playbook before... and here is the attempt at playing the victim when someone starts poking holes in the inconsistencies and contradictions in your claims.

Again

Its the same with Omicron. Vast vast majority (unless you are in an at risk group). Will experience no or mild symptoms. It is debatable if the virus or the vaccine (IMHO) causes worse symptoms in healthy young people.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/study-most-people-infected-with-omicron-didnt-know-it/
    And no. Mild is not floored for a day. Mild is a cold like symptoms.

You seem to be the one drastically looking for anti vaxxer evidence when you got caught out admitting (probably you) was floored for the day after taking your beloved drug.

And just to respond to your usual misinformation trying to make me out (as usual) as some anti vaxxer. I commented numerous times that I would rather wait for an attenuated (LAV) . And I would rather pass on the mRNA ones. At the time there was several in the pipeline. By the time it transpired there was not going to be a LAV the need for taking the Vaccine had reduced substantially due to Omicron etc. Simple as. Much as you hate that.

Mild in medical terminology means not requiring hospital treatment and recovering. Having to spend a day in bed is mild.

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/mild-covid-symptoms#:~:text=Mild%20COVID%2D19%20symptoms%20mean,%2C%20headache%2C%20and%20sore%20throat.

"Beloved drug."

Nope. It is a vaccine. Standard anti vax operating procedure to call it something other than vaccine.

Remarkable you claim you are not an anti vaxxer yet repeat their tropes.

Mind boggles. Spend your days in bed then, Ill take my chances. I had Omicron Covid and bar a slight headache (which may have been self inflicted..) was fine. Keep those shots up. Another day in bed due soon. Winter is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

LAV have been tried and mostly failed for coronavirus (colds in this case) previously due to low efficacy rates, though they are still trying.

If mRNA is your worry, then Novavax or Valneva might be more up your street, if you're willing to accept lower efficacy (side effects are similar).

But it does fly in the face of your "big pharma" argument.

Unless you had the virus sequenced there is no way of knowing which variant you got or if you had previously been exposed and hadn't noticed (unless you were suffering severe symptoms in which case they may sequence the variant).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vswr

Sinovac is alive and well… tested on billons too.. even a US disinformation campaign on it for extra "fck themz big pharma's" kudos.

Strangely enough, the company is looking to cease LAV vaccination and move to mRNA tech… I wonder why?

Ill steer clear of both really. I dont trust the Chinese or Russians for that matter. Virus originated in China so good possibility they had access to data before anyone else. Not a huge fan of big pharma either but they are a necessary evil. If there is money to be made we all like to maximise it. Cant blame them on that. In my business I have been accused of the same myself. And a certain amount of truth to it (my business). Nothing like a good crisis to make a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You still don't understand the difference between infection and disease.

Ok hold on a minute. You wrote "You're statement is false" twice now in 2 separate posts. It makes my head hurt. That reads as "You are statement is false".

It's "Your". Your statement. You're means You are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vswr

deleted

Fairly obvious what he means. Its worse with 'loose' and 'lose' especially if the context of the sentence is lost with the incorrect word. The standard of English these days is not great.

Advertisement