Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

1188189190191192194»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Needmoretea

I do not know if I can add anything to this discussion and it looks like a lot of points were made and re-made already, to the point of Enoch Burke levels of trolling. Of course, a poster is entitled to state their view, and people are entitled to disagree with him/her. Here is my tuppence worth:

I would not like to see any county split; Dublin, Kerry or anyone else. Inter county GAA is a brand, and people like to get behind their county. There would be no joy for me to see a rival country split in two. Our footballers have given us more than we could have ever hoped for and I am incredibly proud of them. They do not owe us anything. We just happened to have a freakishly good team over the past 14 years. The players, men and ladies, worked extremely hard and sacraficed a lot, like every inter county player up and down the country, and deserve to enjoy every win. Especially after all the barren years, this really was a golden era.

I dont understand a posters comments about Dublin's dour style of football. From what I have seen and what is reported, its always been free flowing, attacking and exiting to watch. We have had Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkennys brilliant fielding and Jack McCaffreys surging runs, among other things. Warriors like Stephen Cluxton, James McCarthy and Michael Fitzsimons, never losing their appetite.

Regarding population, Dublin has always had a large population and of course people will always gravitate to a capital. For home games, many games are going to be in Croke Park anyway, as HQ, but for Dublin league matches I would like to see home games back in Parnell Park. Capacity is the big issue here, as Parnell Park is in such a built up area that increasing capacity will definitely be a problem.

For funding, I am not sure how this works and am open to correction, but do county boards and clubs always need to apply for grants for funding, or is funding generated from a pool for example Leinster Council funds? I agree funding should be well distributed for counties who need it the most (if not already), and each county board to use it as well as they can. The funding can be used specifically for inter country teams centre of excellence and promotion of the games for development squads within counties ( Again, I am not sure if this is done already)

I would like to see Leinster rise again, and have our great battles with Meath and Kildare like we did in the 90's, and for other Leinster counties to come through. It might need a change of championship structure, with no split or amalgamation, but funding could help and counties to look at their own structures.

Finally I would really, really like to live long enough to see Dublin win a Hurling All Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

if ever there was a poor trolling attempt to rewrite history this is it. Whatever hope you had of credibility, making this guff, already refuted by many many of the biggest and most respected figures in the game, the core of your argument, is surely a poor approach

so go on deluding yourself while anyone with access to YouTube can treat themselves to the exciting, free flowing attacking football that Dublin pioneered in the face of teams playing dour defensive systems. Treat themselves to the full range of skills displayed by that team. Even post losing to Donegal, the change was very much in terms of applying the superior game intelligence and will to win of the players to manage games well, as demonstrated by the many times this team pulled tight, exciting games out of the fire to cement my their status as GOAT, an accolade acknowledged even by members of Kerry’s great team of the 70s/80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Charlo30

In the 2017 semi final Dublin faced Tyrone. Tyrone that year employed a very defensive style, which had been widely criticized. The final score was Dublin 2-17 - Tyrone 0-11. In what was a very one sided game and one which Dublin should have won by more. It's odd that for a team that was apparantly dour and defensive they managed to rack up a big score against a team that was equally dour and defensive. You would have expected them to cancel each other out and play out a low scoring game.

Or could it be that maybe Dublin could play free flowing attacking football and a certain poster is gilding the lily a bit in a childish attempt to wind up Dublin supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

That poster hates anything and everything to do with Dublin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Any team that has beaten Dublin over the last decade (other than in winter league games with wind and rain) has needed a plan to score 20 points as the Dublin team nearly always managed to get to that total through attacking football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Colm O'Rourke isn't one of my heroes! He's just correct on probably the biggest issue facing the GAA at the moment. I don't need mainstream pundits to have my opinion before adopting it myself, but I appreciate a lot of people do have that point of view. So that's the main reason I cite them. I recommend reading O'Rourke's views on what Dublin should be split- very persuasive stuff, if you approach it with an open mind I feel you should be persuaded.

I disagree with him and others who saw Dublin played attractive football, at least on and after the mid 2010s. They did in the early 2010s for sure but let's be honest there is nothing attractive about 15 men behind the ball, endless handpassing, no high fielding, only shooting from close in. That's why so many supporters are critical of this style of play as other counties have copied Dublin.

As in my previous post- people don't like the style of football- look at all the outcry over the last few years. And it's important to draw a distinction between Dublin's style in the early 2010s (which was attractive) and the late 2010s, which was very effective but absolutely awful to watch. You acknowledge in your post that there was a difference in style after the Donegal loss in 2014. There is nothing "free-flowing" about endless handpassing for instance. Dublin had some great players for sure but the style as a whole was unattractive. Hard to fully credit the close wins vs Mayo for instance coming as they did in Dublin's home stadium. If Dublin were in Mayo's home stadium they could easily have lost or drawn some of those games. Another reason why home advantage has been such a big and unfair advantaged contributing to Dublin's success.

You can rack up big scores and still play dour football. As Dublin did and do. For instance the lack of high fielding, endless handpassing, only shooting from close in that Dublin introduced and perfected is not necessarily that defensive but was awful to watch as a spectacle. Tactically very clever but just not unappealing for neutral spectators. The 15 men behind the ball undoubtedly is defensive but that's only a part of what made Dublin so dour to watch.

They might have planned to score 20 points or more but the truth is Dublin's 3 losses since 2021 have all come against teams scoring less than 20 points! And defensiveness is only one part of Dublin's tactics that made them so dour and negative.

• Advertisement

No you're talking nonsense, It's your own county Kerry, who started and perfected the dour boring football that other Counties copied.The biggest issue facing the Gaa is sorting the mess that's Munster, and splitting Kerry .

Again you must be thinking of Kerry, everything you mention above is how they play lol…..

Go away with your anti Dublin nonsense .nothing new here thread should be closed .

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jack67

The ranting and raving of this lone Kerry man has gone on long enough , same rubbish over and over again

Agreed thread should be closed , i really can't believe it has been allowed to continue to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

I think he gets a kick out of it now at this stage and ye are just adding to his entertainment by replying to his rants.

Best just left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I think it can be agreed the association shouldn't be aiding Dublin or Kerry in anyway although it's obvious Dublin have more natural advantages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

😅😅

in terms of ‘natural’ advantages, the only one Dublin have is population. It’s been done to death on this thread both that (I) population doesn’t translate to playing pool in Dublin to a far greater extent than other counties (something that certain posters readily accept and argue for other counties strangely enough) and (Ii) that larger population suffers a significant disadvantage in terms of access to pitches and open space, both from an availability and cost perspective,that few other counties have to deal with.

the other “advantages” are in many cases either something that Dublin would happily get rid of or advantages that other counties have had for far longer and deeper. Croke Park: Dublin repeatedly tried to develop their home stadium, Parnell Park, or a larger stadium at the Spawell. They were frustrated. The Leinster counties have repeatedly looked for the payday that comes with CP games. And at a wider level Leinster stadia don’t have the capacity as a rule to provide an alternative. At this stage Dublin can’t be blamed for the CP situation and indeed the counties of Leinster have it entirely in their gift to play elsewhere.

Funding: Dublin are neither the first or only team to have a solid sponsorship deal. Some counties have been doing this on a very lucrative fashion for decades and being successful of the back of it yet certain posters here don’t want to discuss that. That’s before we get into some of the nonsense that vested interests such as John Connellan have made about finances in Dublin- I’d encourage anyone who is genuinely interested to look up John Costelloes rebuttal of Connellans claims. Meanwhile Connellan with a straight face looks for development funding to grow the game amongst 37 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Population, investment from the gaa, home advantage, association publicly stating they need Dublin to win not Kerry so refs get the message, much better 3rd level/ sport's science facilities etc.

For competition sake I don't think the 2 most successful counties in the GAA should be getting most of the investment or another huge county like cork. Tipperary, Limerick, Waterford in Munster all Leinster counties bar Dublin is where it should go.

But you now have a championship where Dublin and Kerry's attendances have plummeted. And neither are likely to go through a 10 or 20 year dry spell needed to return the fanfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Firstly Brolly called out RTE for way a unionist was given a free rant on Primetime TV that should have been called out by the presenter who hadn't the balls to do it.

I disagree with your analysis of Dublin. Over the years, from 2011 fielders like Paul Flynn, Brian Fenton, James McCarthy, Ciaran Kilkenny are as good as anything we have seen in the GAA. The basic skill level of players was top class and their execution of the skills was better than any other team ever to play the game. The athleticism of the players was great to watch. Like every team they had "shooters" a term I dont like. Yet we had corner backs outscoring their direct opponents!! McMahon, Fenton, Flynn, Mannion, Kilkenny could all kick points comfortably from 40 meters. Dublin done what they had to do to win and if it meant keeping the ball in tight game the great confidence in the ability under pressure to continue to execute the basics.

The negative tactics you talk about Im lay firmly at door of Donegal and McGuinness. That Donegal team were untouchable when they attacked but as I remember in game against Dublin, Michael Murphy passing to McFadden inside Donegal 20m line. The 2 best forwards in Ireland over 100 meters from where they should be scoring. Dublin beat them that day because Dublin kept driving at them and eventually fatigue told on Donegal. Dublin also showed serious class beating Tyrone by as one pundit said "Out Tyroning them" with an action packed aggressive performance that Tyrone couldnt cope with. So to lay blame on Dublin is ridiculous. Look at various games Mayo and Kerry full of action and attacking and great scores.

Dublin done what they had to do to win and their record proves that. Jim Gavin is one of the biggest advocates for change and will be interesting to see what he comes with and then the crying about changes.

On other points something needs to be done and quickly to save football. Agree with suggestion of Senior Inter and Junior.

On splitting Dublin in 2 I dont think it will happen. There are a few large areas of Dublin where there is hardly any GAA played. Soccer and Rugby are the dominant sport in South Dublin and soccer in west Dublin. Huge population means little when there are no facilities. In Dublin 1, 2, 3 and 4 you have 2 GAA clubs Clann na Gael and St Josephs OCBs. A huge percentage of population in Dublin city area are immigrants. Its all very well quoting the numbers playing but outside the top 5/6 divisions its often more social

• Advertisement

Your wasting your time , that poster is anti Dublin 13/14 years posting anti Dublin nonsense , and he ain't gonna change .

your last point is exactly what the development funding was targeted to address, and does to a degree, but nowhere near the depth of the population. Essentially it was a drive to up participation from kids in marginalised areas or non traditional GAA areas. And in typical small minded fashion for the GAA Connellan decides he’ll push for the development funding to go to 37 year olds who are already registered as players.

From the government funding side of things people can go jump with the complaints. Funding disadvantaged communities that have been left behind by successive governments and getting their kids out and active is exactly what the government funding should be used for. If it happens to be channelled through the community network of the gaa then so be it, it gets kids started in sport and many will, and indeed have, made their own choices into other activities on the back of it.

Post edited by tritium on

Exactly, all people want is fairness. Not Dublin alone being uniquely favoured by the GAA. I'd correct one thing though- Dublin have both more natural and more unnatural advantages.

This is totally wrong, and you know it. You're deliberately understating the benefits of Dublin's unique combination of unfair advantages to make it seem like they are no uniquely advantaged. Unfortunately for you, the unfair advantages are so obvious and blatant that it doesn't fool anyone.

Dublin's population is enormous, and it absolutely translates into a larger playing pool. In a sport where transfers are very rare, this is an enormous advantage. Access to facilities in Dublin is far, far better than around the country too, both in terms of GAA provided ones and others. Croke Park is Dublin's home stadium and not only are they advantaged from playing there in Leinster but also all finals and semi-finals too! Given how close some of the finals have been it's indisputable that this home pitch advantage enabled Dublin to win games they otherwise wouldn't. Dublin's funding, from all sources, is also far, far more than any other county- even on a per capita basis, which compounds Dublin's other unfair advantages.

So Dublin are absolutely unfairly advantaged vs every other county. Minor differences can be tolerated but not the combination, scale, nature and duration of advantages that Dublin alone enjoy. That's why they should be split.

We've already established that the Games Development funding helped the senior inter-county side, both from reduced opportunity cost from other spending and also developing younger players who developed into outstanding inter-county ones, raising the standard of play within the county etc. Even leaving this aside though, what people have an issue with is Dublin alone being favoured for this. Kids in Dublin are no less deserving that those elsewhere, but they're no more deserving either. We all want to help the game in Dublin- whether that is via funding, from splitting Dublin, whatever. But we don't want to help Dublin alone, or at the expense of everyone else.

We have already established that Kerry have unique and unfair advantages for over 100 years .

Fairness indeed , 100 years of advantages is not fair , Lets split Kerry.

Kerry are absolutely unfairly advantaged vs every other County, going back over 100 years , playing out of a hurling County , winning a ridiculous 85 Munster titles and going on to win handy All Irelands , that's why they should be split

Exactly, its all everyone wants fairness. Not Kerry alone being uniquely favoured by the GAA, it has gone on long enough i mean over a century for heavens sake , Munster is a basket case . Kerry to be split is the only way to sort this nonsense out .

and once again you just parrot out the same ridiculous discredited nonsense without actually engaging in any of the points raised

for the simple reason that you can’t, and never could address them - we eagerly await your hand waiving soundbyte about how you have already throughly addressed them at some nebulous, uncertain point in the past, which will of course be a lie, as any regular contributors to this thread will know

mods surely the purpose of this thread can’t be to give a customised soapbox to one poster from Kerry. Surely it’s time to close this thread ?

• Advertisement

Absolutely tritium ,i have posted something similar , how/why is one WUM from KERRY allowed to continue with this nonsense? time to close the thread !!

What exactly are you trying to dispute here? That Dublin don't have far more registered players than any other county? That Dublin haven't received more in funding from all sources vs everyone else, no matter which way you measure it? That Dublin don't play finals and semi-finals in their home stadium? I know the truth about Dublin's unfair advantages can be uncomfortable but I don't think even the most partisan of Dublin supporters can dispute that last one!

You made a series of false claims. I challenged and debunked then. You're now angry because you've been found out, and rather than trying to deal with this, you're calling for the thread to close? Why not drop the partisan lens and try to have a reasoned debate?

You see the real problem here is , Kerry have totally destroyed Munster with there 100 year plus , of unfair advantages winning a ridiculous 85 Munster titles which gave them unfair advantages against the other Provinces and there 38 All Irelands. Why not drop the partisan lens and try to have a reasoned debate indeed !! , lets be honest here , with an anti Dublin fanatic like yourself , who is clearly only trying to benefit Kerry , by hobbling Dublin , a reasoned debate is impossible , this nonsense has gone on long enough , same ol **** over and over again , time to close the thread down for good .

you’ve debunked nothing. You’ve simply stood there repeating the same old nonsense while sticking your fingers in you ears about anything you don’t like the sound of

youve Utterly failed to engage on any of the challenges raised about your own counties long and inglorious list of unfair advantages

You’ve absolutely failed to engage on any proposals for addressing the wider issues in the game, consistently committing only to the same ludicrous split Dublin mantra. Apparently we’ll have world peace and end world hunger when this happens and any other very minor tweaks can be discussed in the aftermath of David Clifford’s 9 in a row speech in this promised land.

you’ve consistently engaged in partisan debate, first hiding your own affiliation, then, once it came out, dodging fair challenge to you own counties historical position and the legitimacy of your argument in the light of the wider history of inequity in the GAA.

frankly the mods leaving your personal soapbox running this long is a farce. What would the mods like to indulge a year after year after year discussion on next? Maybe the problem of the travelling community in the GAA? Or we could discuss the issues with multiculturalism in the GAA? Except neither will rightly happen without significant vetting of content, because they’re unreasonable soapboxes for extremists and wind up merchants to insult and abuse segments of the community and to rehash the same frequently debunked nonsense. Kind of like this thread, which long ago lost any relevance or legitimacy and basically became a rancid tribal mess where reasoned analysis is rejected in favour of recycling the same poisonous digs at one county ad nauseum.

it’s actually an embarrassment to the site at this stage

For sure this thread is a farce , long past the time when this anti Dublin horse manure was allowed to run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

This thread has been given Every opportunity to develop as a Discussion but it has.... again.... failed.

The sheer inability to see both sides of an issue and continue to bang the same drum has lead to the thread closing.

No more Dublin Dominance chat allowed elsewhere either - Warnings will be given !!

I will open it again when Cork do the Double.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement