Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eh, I'm sure this will end up the same as the College Green Bus Gate. When it was first introduced there was all the same comments, there will be no enforcement, most cars will still use it, etc.

In reality there was a 95% reduction in cars using College Green. So 5% chanced there arm, some got caught by Gardai, some got away with it. Overall it was a massive success and today few people think of driving that way.

Same happened when cars were mostly banned from OCS.

You always notice the odd asshole breaking the rules, but there usually is still an overall very positive change.

I'm sure it will be the same here. It will take a few weeks to bed in and for people to get use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Disco24

Very smooth running at OCB at 11am. Plenty of yellow jacket traffic people. Didn't see any gate smashers and quays were quiet. First impressions very positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They were only a **** show because of the design of the junction and the lights installed to give buses priority on the north quays.

This is solution to an entirely DCC created problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭alentejo

Saw multiple cars going straight thru on both Quays at lunchtime. Traffic is very quiet today, I suspect the impending Croke Park Concerts this week might be a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

To give a sort of benefit of the doubt, I suppose there are some motorists today and throughout this week who do not watch news or engage in social media and genuinely will only be encountering and become aware of these changes for the first time as they directly hit upon them on the quays and will incorrectly use the revised routes as they missed the correct turn offs too late. I'd like to think this is just teething issues rather than wilful ignorance and will improve as time goes on with familiarity. You'll always have ignoramuses that will continue to disobey though but hopefully that's the minority.

Creatures of habit are a funny thing though. I know people who continued to "not see" the revised destination signs for the newer free flow lanes at M50 junctions for a year or more after they were introduced and continued to use the more lengthy and time consuming signal controlled routes because "that's the way they always drove it". I'd imagine a cohort of today and this week's drivers on the quays are similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Ireland trains

I’d imagine a good few parents will be back at work today after holidays so it’s probably more to do with that traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People who drive their kids to school then drive on to the office rather than taking public transport is one element

The holidays as mentioned just above is another - at any given time in July and August I'd say about a fifth of my office is on holidays; this week its virtually nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes, though having the main left turn be to Jervis St would have solved a fair bit of issues. Even leaving it as "left turn" with access only to Arnotts might have worked

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Traffic was light enough this morning and has been generally very quiet over the summer months. However, once all the schools and colleges return that will be the test. I came down O'Connell Street from the northside this morning and I can see that there will be tailbacks going on to O'Connell Street bridge with traffic turning right. All these road closures is just send the problems elsewhere. Traffic has been made worse by all these changes.

O'Connell St southbound is annoying because tourist buses block a good portion of the actual bus lane.

And there's still road works on O'Connell Bridge. Will take a while to get the full picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Traffic definitely seems lighter on the quays.

Vast majority on Burgh Quay taking the right onto O Connell bridge, the odd car still going straight down the quays.

The left from westmorland onto the quays seems to have a higher amount still turning left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

What actual journeys through the city centre will this eliminate? I reckon anyone who drives through the city centre to reach their destination will still drive through, they'll just use a slightly different route but they'll just add to the traffic on the new route instead. I can't see anyone deciding to use public transport because of a slight detour

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The point of this is to have the buses that do use the quays move faster.

Just 2% of people crossing here are in cars! Yet cars take up 50% or more of the road space!

This will have very little or no impact on most motorists, but it will be a massive benefit to the majority of people in buses on the quays.

But surely the rerouted traffic will impact public transport on those routes now instead?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess that we won't know until it has happened.
    How much of the original drivers will consider switching to PT? The remaining drivers will spread out across multiple routes (as they're not all going to the same end point) so the distribution may not be ask evident as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kincora2017

it’ll stop a journey I often have to do about once a week. To travel from around City Quay up to around Collins Barracks. Now I would always take the Luas to do that anyway so no impact on me, but some of my colleagues wouldn’t take the Luas and would drive. I’d hope this will get them out of their car

Hopefully, I don't commute through the city centre but spend most days in it doing van deliveries. Just get a pain in the hole when they don't make allowances for me! Even allowing delivery vans to use the quays wouldn't affect the buses that much but I know it's difficult to enforce as you will then have every builder in a van using them. I'll report back if I'm down around O'Connell bridge over the next while

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Even allowing delivery vans to use the quays wouldn't affect the buses that much

So you're agreeing that they would have an effect. Nonetheless, it only takes one vehicle to delay a line of busses.

However, I get the point that you're making and in fairness, discouraging all the drivers who choose to drive (but don't really need to) from making the choice to drive would make your life a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm not saying this from a "lecturing" perspective, but is there any benefit in negotiating pre and post 7am/7pm slots for deliveries on your existing route?

I suppose it depends on whether the recipients are available at those times.

My nephew was doing deliveries for a while in town, and I know full well how bad it can get for you. Hope things improve in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Advertisement

Not really, the alternative routes tend not to have buses on them or only small numbers of buses.

If you step back and look at the bigger picture, they are trying to create separate routes, ones that are mostly only buses (and bikes/walking) and ones that are mostly only cars.

Look at O'Connell Street, in the past it use to be jammed with private cars, now it is mostly just buses. They basically created a North to South corridor from OCS, across O'Connell Bridge and trough College Green that takes the majority of North-South bus routes.

They are now completing that by creating a similar East - West Corridor along the quays that will take most of the east - west bus routes. It is a massive improvement for bus movements across the city.

Cars mostly use the various other parallel streets outside of these corridors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What happened to all the traffic when Henry St and Grafton St were pedestrianised?

BTW Nigzcurran, I see you mentioned in another post that you are a delivery driver.

One thing I was thinking they could do, is that when they put automated cameras in, they could put a website in place where you could register your van and the date/times you need to make deliveries in the city, like a delivery permit and the cameras would not fine you if you past them with a permit.

That's a really good idea about the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Paul2019

"My main point is that we shouldnt restrict car shoppers in the city centre and hope/expect them to be replaced by bus passengers"

Who's restricting car shoppers? Anybody who wants to drive in and shop can still do so.

Why does this red herring keep coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭satguy

It was too easy for drivers passing through the city to just drive along the quays, it was a nice straight route.

If we can force these drivers up on to side streets, we can do even more damage to Dublin's city centre and hollow it out even more than it is already.

The anti social behaviour along the quays and on OCS will stop most people from even walking on this route.

Some behaviour on our busses can be bad also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The bigger picture here is that the buses themselves cause a lot of congestion. The north quays for example already had laybys and a dedicated bus lane, with a bus light and there was still delays to buses because they get in the way of each other.

The fact that DCC and DB treat a number of streets as open air bus stations is a huge part of the congestion problem in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 scrabtom

@MrMusician18

Where else can the buses stop but on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Those buses wouldn't be causing congestion if they didn't get bunched up, as a result of cars impeding their progress, throughout the rest of their routes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think they are referring to buses not in service stopping in these spots along the quays

Advertisement