Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LooeyWalsh

Just an FYI they used these essay questions for the last Dublin EO competition. They weren't used at all in the interviews but counted towards your score in People Management & Interpersonal and Communication Skills competencies.  

• Registered Users Posts: 7 okaydo

In the 2022 competition it was 3 weeks, but there was not a written test, so may take longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 highlighter123

Oh god that is horrendous if so. I quit my teaching job and have got an office job in the meantime. So it’ll be like 3 years before I hear anything from Dublin CS 😵‍💫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭shmeee

On previous EO panel's, people were placed 24 months later, some even 26 months. 2022 panel are placing people as of this week. Did you think placing was that fast? This is the civil service, these competitions crawl along. Best to forget about them and work away until a message comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 coop142

To be fair it is understandable for people to think it would move quicker than that.

I’m nearly certain this question was answered previously here and someone said that, while the process was long, it could be quicker for Dublin possibly a few months.

It may be worth reaching out to someone to confirm if they will be placing the 2023 panel before considering anyone from this competition. I would not be surprised if they will just work off the best OOM from both competitions to be honest but hard to know.

If that is the case you’d assume the highest OOMs from 2023 have already been placed and it would be slightly less competition as those left over would have been further down on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

They can't do that, people are interviewing this week they will keep placing from that competition until its end date and then start on this one

I see. So that panel ends 30th of July 2025.. Just seems strange to me that they would include Dublin as part of this competition if they aren’t going to reach out to anyone for another year.

Would’ve made sense for them to do a nationwide competition excluding Dublin and then had a Dublin competition in 2025.

Why did they do a 2024 Dublin (as part of nationwide) competition if they did one in 2023 and had enough people for positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

they might come to an end before July and it’s easier and cheaper to run one competition instead of 2 so they can starting interviewing for other candidates before starting Dublin based candidates in the new year. Once they do start it will move quicker than for any other county

• Advertisement

Yeah, I’d say you’re right just looked at the two booklets and it says for the 2023 that the end date for placement from a panel is June 2025 and for our competition (2024) the final date for placement from a panel is June 2025 also.

So they must be expecting the 2023 competition to finish up soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Because they will reach out to people, the 2022 comp is still taking people from Dublin yet the 2023 was opened and has interviewed over 2000 people as far as I know.

Edit: At least it was when the 2023 one started, maybe not anymore I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭summersun23

Dublin calls loads from these panels. If u have any half decent OOM at all , u will be called for dublin. Deffo the best bet but I agree u prob would not want to be in any hurry! :)

Just received this email back to keep everyone in the loop!

So another pull added to potential EO vacancies.

For example, 10 EO vacancies now spread out between Open panel (2023&2024), Interdepartmental panel (2023&2024), Mobility, Internal Promotion.

And still 2022 panels running. They place then in rotation of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The panel for this one is 12 months so would expect it to be quicker.

Yes, but still be the same. You might not be placed until 12 months in and even after. 2022 panel is open until end of September 2024. And should have been closed months back now. But still pulling from it.

I think it comes down to the oom . If we are talking dublin, I think you will still be placed quite quickly if u have a good oom, and if not,and u are up over the 1000 (for example) you will still very likely be placed so u can just look at it as sometjing that's coming down the line in maybe a year or so. It's always good to be on all the panels anyway gives options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PandaDancer

the CO comp I did, I forgot about it and then was offered an interview months later. So placements are very slow. When I passed the interview, there was three departments looking for officers to put their names forward instead of waiting. I did that and was placed fairly quickly. Keep an eye on public jobs. Sometimes public jobs is using a recruiter for officers (saw sigmar). so early this year there were operator Garda phone officer recruitment, Dublin ports and a few others taking cvs. I think Dublin gets a lot of applicants, but the starting wage is low for CO/EO. A lot of people are taking pay cuts to join and a lot of people might not be taking the roles up.
    Patience is key

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eva777

Regarding the recent EO competition, I found all 3 tests to be difficult. I suspect the purpose is to reduce the amount of applicants. I managed to complete 15 maths questions so am hopeful for a pass. Not so sure about the Verbal whch was unnecessarily tricky. I found the Situational Judgement to be very unfair. They claim there are no right or wrong answers, yet they still fail you for your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 ramblerandgambler

>unnecessarily tricky

>very unfair.

It is a test.

"This test is testing me…boooo"

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tinman53

Well going by the recent HEO competition, it closed first round assessments on 17/07/24 and we received the results on 07/08/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 calamityjane

I would agree with Eva777 that the Situational Test is a load of nonsense. Some so-called 'experts' have already secretly agreed on the correct answers. It seems that you fail the test if you don't agree with these experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭raheny red

I'm wrong as usual :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

Your marked out of a max score and if you fail to reach a certain score then you are not given an oom.

You have to pass all 3 to get an oom but only two count towards your placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Stranger Things

I usually look at them and think actually I'd do none of those things lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The answers you give are scored and monitored far more subtly than you showing them a simple right or wrong. From your answers the psychometric programmes is able to deduce a certain pattern within your answers. Say for example, if you are guessing option A all the time or it detects a pattern of A B C D etc then it knows that you are guessing or unsure, or if you are close to right when incorrect. For the Situational Judgement it too will suss out guesses or a pattern of erratic or plain wrong answers given.

I am doubtful that 15 answered out of 36 questions will get you a pass unless you happen to be correct on every single one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just the dozen or so employment psychologists who work in PAS. Sure, what would they know? 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Thanks, you're right but I couldn't find the words to describe what you have properly.

Advertisement